what are people investing now

now that intrest rates are going up the housing boom has stoped
what are most investors getting in to shares,bonds,listed proptey trust's
or hybird securities ????????
has any one moved to the next step......

While there appears to be no longer a large scale boom in housing, there is still plenty of buzz in many pockets around greater Brisbane.

When it comes to investing, no matter how I turn the coin, property still seems the best option, whether there is a boom or slump. Booms are great for increasing equity in existing IP's while slumps are fantastic for investing that equity. It just can't get better than that :D

still in property. interest rate rises are just part of business, but makes negotiating for a lower price stronger as the interest rate rises are scaring off much of the market.

lizzie said:
still in property. interest rate rises are just part of business, but makes negotiating for a lower price stronger as the interest rate rises are scaring off much of the market.

Are any Melbourne investors seeing interest rates having an effect on the market yet? So far, I've seen the rise in interest rates having no effect on market demand in Melbourne - not yet at least.

If you are seeing an effect in Melbourne - where (location wise) and what (types of properties) are you noticing interest rates impacting?

Cheers,
Jen

I'm buying in Cairns. Many new high rise apartments in the northern beaches area....ocean views around $650K to over a mill. But My money is on the older houses along the beach front. I'm not an expert, but according to my own research CG can be found in buying the older house properties in this area. They seem to appreciate (the land that is) faster than the high rise units. Also many units are rentals, and despite a <2% rental vacancy in Cairns, I prefer houses without the additional body corp rates.:)

I also did ok after Cyclone Larry hit Innisfail (1 hour drive south of Cairns). REA's were desparate for rental properties (and still are) with so many people who lost their homes and the large influx of tradies into town. Houses and units were down as people who were under-insured put damaged properties on the market at greatly reduced prices. There are still many of these coming onto the market now, as insurance coys are paying people out. Twill take some years for all repairs to be completed for some.

Tis sad in many ways. I feel better being able to provide some rental accomm for folk, and so it's a win-win for all concerned.

Sharon

willy008 said:
now that intrest rates are going up the housing boom has stoped
what are most investors getting in to shares,bonds,listed proptey trust's
or hybird securities ????????
has any one moved to the next step......
Willy008,
I will stay with property we only control three properties now
one is the ppor,we also have a portfilo of Australian shares
in the big 4 banks,and several others in different areas and a
small holding in USA fast food companies,and when you add
the dividends,franking credits it looks good on paper.
I don't worry about interest rates when i started in property
the rates were 16.00% and that way only if the they would
lend you the money,unlike today,i also invest in aussie art..
good luck willair......

Aceyducey said:
I'm about to invest in a 10-gallon hat.

Cheers,

Aceyducey
Mmah Acey-- sound thinkin (despite cyclone fizzlin tiny retrace in POO) and I am about to invest in some lead boots to walk over my O/S concessions

still investing in property IR like others have said is just a part of business

fact is people will always need housing wouldnt mind playing in the forex

markets have done a little of that but is confusing as hell.

Would like to start researching a bit more off-shore funds. Story o/s is still very much on BRIC. Also Eastern Europe IPs. Apparently Estonia, Romania, Hungary and Croatia are set for a few years of catch up to other Western cousins already in the EU. Anyone going down that route yet? and battle the hoardes of poms descending on a similar path?

Back