What area of Adelaide do you recommend?

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on areas of Adelaide, we are living in Ireland and are planning to move over to Adelaide and was thinking of buying or renting in Glengowrie or surrounding areas. We have two children, just wondered what areas you would recommend that have good schools, good place to bring children up in?
Thanks a million
:)

What made you think of Glengowrie ?

What work do you do and where are you likely to be based ?

Would you prefer something close to the city, or close to the beach, or in a "blue chip" suburb ?

Do you want a large block of land or is compact more your style ?

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on areas of Adelaide, we are living in Ireland and are planning to move over to Adelaide and was thinking of buying or renting in Glengowrie or surrounding areas. We have two children, just wondered what areas you would recommend that have good schools, good place to bring children up in?
Thanks a million
:)

Hello Rubyslippers

Welcome to the Forum. I have friends who live at Glengowrie and can tell you a little bit about the area. It's situated between Glenelg (great beach and shopping, restaurants etc) and the city of Adelaide. It's probably more affordable than it's surrounding suburbs - Glenelg & Somerton Park for instance are quite pricey but are lovely "old" suburbs. Glengowrie is on the tram/trainline between the beach and the city (so good public transport) and there are several good private schools in the vicinity. I'm not sure about zoning with regard to state schools. Perhaps you could "google" the suburb. I really like the Kingswood area for excellent schools, services etc. It is only 6km to the city but feels much further away and is a great area to bring up children. I'd strongly recommend that you rent before you decide to buy in a particular area - it won't take you long to get the "feel" of a place and then you can commit. Congratulations on choosing Adelaide to live - beautiful city, easy to get around, clean air etc etc. :)

Regards

Thanks

Hi again and thanks for your replies.
Myself, partner and two children are planning on moving to Adelaide in Feb/March 2008. We have our full visa, and we were planning on selling our house here in Ireland but have now decided to just rent it out for approx a year and to rent in Adelaide. The only reason I asked about Glengowrie was because we were in Adelaide for a month last year, and we stayed in Glenelg, and we loved Glenelg, but understand that renting there is quite expensive, so we were looking into the surrounding areas to rent.
My partner works in Carburettor work, specified engine work (hope i spelled that right) and although I have two children I would be looking to enrol my son who is 6 into school, my daughter is only a year and half old.
Thanks for the info, I presume that zoning means you have to live in certain areas to go to a school in that area - is that right?

Glengowrie is a great area, we live in a neighbouring suburb between Glenelg and the city and have the benefit of both the city and sea. I grew up in Glenelg and my parents still live there. I love the area!!!

Zoning for public schools means that you need to live in the school zone to have first preference for enrolement although some schools also take people out of the zone if they have vacancies.

There is generally no zoning for private schools and there are also some fantastic private schools within a 15 minute drive.

All the best and I'm certain you'll love Adelaide :D

glenelg is indeed exy but brighton is only a little further south and the brighton school district has a top reputation. new migrants often rent in the neat and affordable courtyard homes in and around marion, great for shopping, transport, access to beach, schools, etc.

I like glengowrie, don't own anything around there yet but I know a few people that have PPOR's there. They bought old house and bulldozed and build new house. I think it's a really good suburb to get into.

Other areas around Brighton are nice, plenty to choose from.

cheers
quoll

Back