What computer to use?

It is time to buy a new computer but we are trying to determine if a laptop will do the job or will we have to buy the desktop type. We just use it for banking, correspondence, this forum etc. Laptops seem to be very compact and take up so little room. Any suggestions?

Just beware that DELL laptops have just been banned from travelling on all Qantas flights due to a serious problem with the batteries (it can explode, DELL and SONY or working on solving this serious issue).

You are on the right track, desktops are so 1990s.

Laptop + wireless router + broadband = 21st century computing bliss. I'm typing this whilst sipping coffee, reading a paper & looking out on the backyard from the kitchen table. Who said males can't multi task ?

I'm using a previous generation of one of these which are extremely good unless you love trouble-shooting operating system problems and are attached to viruses and spyware. ;) :p

Good luck. :)

Well I'm not a computer expert either but I want to tell you my story because it might help you weigh up a couple of options. I bought a u bewt desk top set up 16 months or so ago and loved it. Flat screen, heaps of memory, the best we could afford. I think all up about $2800. Anyway, I share it with a 13 year old and 20 year old. Both students both boys. I also had to invest in a high back $500 chair to minimise neck pain so I could use the computer for long periods. Anyway, between both of my sons they managed to download viruses twice from Limewire and that destroyed everything on the C drive. :mad: Twice its been back to Harvey Normans for the very understanding technician to nurse the C drive back to health.
My option three months ago was to buy another desktop for my own personal use or a lap top, and give up on trying to keep the desk top pristine. I refused to share anymore with the boys.

Well I went for a lap top and its bliss. I get to use it reclining in bed or on the couch. Don't believe everything you read about sitting upright at the desk being the best thing, I'm very comfortable thanks. Even got a stiff mouse board and cordless mouse because I hate that silly litle built in mouse on laptops. The hard mat makes it easier to manouvre the mouse over the doona bumps. :D You can get a great laptop for $2000. Hubby and I use the lap top in bed to follow all sorts of information on line ( I mean travel in Africa, property threads that sort of thing). I ended up renting mine because of the on line support I get and the insurance cover. Leasing is also a good option for work because payments are tax deductable.

Take a good look at the iMac.

http://www.apple.com/education/solutions/imac/
(ignore prices: that's US$)

A bit dearer than a Wintel box but it saves heaps on anti-virus subscriptions and "front end load". It's got a small footprint and can emulate Windows. It's biggest advantage is you don't have Tizzy's virus problems.

I have become a big believer in quaranteening the web from my business. My book-keeping and share trading is on my Windows box and all my email and web browsing is done on the Mac. You can buy two puters for the price of one 5yrs ago.

Here's the thing. The average person can build and repair a desktop with little experience. Even I can do it now.

A desktop will be cheaper and faster to fix than a laptop - simple matter of buying a new power supply for $40 and 10 min later it is fixed. Or a hard drive, new RAM etc.

They are also easier to use with a better keyboard, mouse and screen. Cheaper too. Laptops have lots of probs with batteries and screens that desktops avoid.

But if you need something portable then clearly a Laptop is the choice - but you will pay for that flexibility.

Just my opinion.

Having worked in the IT industry for 8 years I have a preference towards desktops. As Simon has already pointed out, repairs are usually easier to fix, and typically componentry is more affordable. Without getting into the whole "which is better" I think its more of a case of "what is most suited for my needs"

The other thing is - laptops are portable and attractive which means the likelihood of either losing it or having it stolen is usually higher.

RJ

I love my laptop.
That is all.

I can take it anywhere. its as good as a desktop. but more expensive.
that said i also have 3 other desktop computers, and another 2 down in the storage cage..

I spend a very large amount of time in front of a computer as I work as a software developer. In my career, I've worked extensively with notebooks and desktops. If you want to get a notebook for portability etc, I'd say it is very important to get yourself an external keyboard and mouse, and then place the laptop on top of a few phones books when you work with it for an extended length of time. This way you'll be much for comfortable. Using the in-built notebook keyboard and track pad can give you really sore wrists, neck and back. I generally use desktops for most of my work for the reasons other people have already outlined in this forum.

One other interesting thing is that notebooks fall under different tax treatment from desktops. I'm not 100% sure how this works, but I think if you get a notebook, you can salary sacrifice it through your work, and then also depreciate it over 3 years. Ie, if you're in a high tax bracket, the laptop ends up almost free due to tax deductions.

Cheers,
James

vodnik said:
One other interesting thing is that notebooks fall under different tax treatment from desktops. I'm not 100% sure how this works, but I think if you get a notebook, you can salary sacrifice it through your work, and then also depreciate it over 3 years. Ie, if you're in a high tax bracket, the laptop ends up almost free due to tax deductions.

Cheers,
James
That is a very important point. :)

Thanks for the response! There is more to this than I first thought. I like the idea of portability around the house if nothing else. Our current PC and its associates turn one room in the house to an office which I would rather be without. I don't do programming, games or even music and I do not have a lot of interest in the general IT thing. I never thought of looking at a Mac but perhaps the learning curve is a factor to consider. After years around 256, RAM seems to be growing in importance, do the lap-tops handle that or is it just 'you get what you pay for'?

plumtree said:
. After years around 256, RAM seems to be growing in importance, do the lap-tops handle that or is it just 'you get what you pay for'?

Hi,
With the price of RAM so inexpensive today, it's a good idea when buying a new computer (PC or Laptop) today to upgrade at that stage.
My laptop has 2Gig RAM, and all laptops will accommodate that. You won't notice much of a difference under general applications, but start to multi-task and load the system and it'll kick-in.
IMHO
Bill

Glebe said:
And no, Macboys, never had a virus or spyware.

Mac people really rub me up the wrong way sometimes. It's very easy to avoid spyware and viruses on a PC.. Anyway thats an argument for another day

I much prefer a desktop, as I still play games which just isn't the same on a notebook. It is also easy to upgrade and repair, as already suggested. I have a work notebook, but rarely use it at home..

FrankGrimes said:
Mac people really rub me up the wrong way sometimes. It's very easy to avoid spyware and viruses on a PC.. Anyway thats an argument for another day

I had to bite my tongue, too, Frank.
And after a few Boags, it was difficult, mate. :D :D :D
Bill

salary package

Don't forget - laptops are exempt from FBT! So make sure you salary package it and pay for it out of gross wages - also double dip and claim depreciation on it assuming it is work related.

Shameless plug - www.appliededucation.com.au for courses on salary packaging!

Regards

Dan

mdk92 said:
I'm using a previous generation of one of these which are extremely good unless you love trouble-shooting operating system problems and are attached to viruses and spyware. ;) :p

I can personally vouch for the Apple MacBook. A family member owns one and it performs very well, is well built, and can run Windows natively or virtually if you, (good grief), required it.

The price is VERY competitive too, in my opinion.

Let us know what you decide! :)

get more than 256MB ram when you buy the unit initially.
i got a dell that only had 512MB. I found it not to be enough.. but then i'd view myself as a power user (two virtual machines that each want to chew 512MB ram means i needed at least 1.5GB)
its usually cheaper to get at the outset, than to buy more later.
especially if you want specific compatibility requirements.
i could have got my upgrade cheaper, but i wanted to be Sure it worked, and worked well..

for general office stuff, 1GB should do you though.
I'm a big fan of dell, apart from their recent battery issues, i couldn't be happier with my dell laptop.

Back