What do interest rates need to get to before you stop buying?

What do interest rates need to get to before you stop buying?

• Have stopped buying until interest rates start to fall

Votes: 23 27.1%
  • 9.5%

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • 10%

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • 10.5%

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • 11%

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 11.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12%

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • 12.5%

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 13%

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 13.5%

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don't care how high interest rates go

Votes: 27 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alex, do you believe that real property returns (yield + CG) will always exceed real mortgage rates? Will there come a time when they're consistently lower? I know we've only seen it briefly in the past but do you reckon a permanent high rate environment is settling in (i.e. 5% cash rates are a thing of the past)?

I don't look at 'real' mortgage rates (I'm taking it to mean nominal interest less inflation). There will be times when they are lower, but I don't believe it'll last forever.

I don't think any high rate (or low rate) environment is permanent. Sure we might not see 5% cash rates for many years, but do you consider 5 years permanent? 10 years? The property LVR doesn't hold constant. As time goes on the LVR decreases (even if the price increases are from pure inflation), and rents also increase (assuming the same yield but on an inflated asset price). That's why after holding a property for more than a few years, owners generally no longer care how their property now has a low yield, since they've already made a lot of money from it.
Alex

I chose 40% because its off the graph.

If a deal worked at 40% would that stop you doing it? I am sure you could fix it at 40%. At least you wouldnt have to deal with all the uncertainty thats around at the moment.

cheers

Back