What, do you believe, are the biggest risks facing investors today and why?

Hi guys,

I'm doing a straw poll to see what people think are the biggest risks facing investors today.

Not the short-term economic cycle ones - like interest rates or boom-bust cycles, but the BIG world-changing ones that are biting now, or will begin biting in the next ten-twenty years (years almost all of us expect to live through).

Please provide your why as well as the risks so we can all understand your reasoning.

For me, I believe the biggest risks are:

Aging of the population
- We have a large group of people retiring over the next twenty-thirty years and this will dramatically change the nature of Australia - economically and socially. The electorate will be voting for old-age income and health supports rather than education and business infrastructure. This could hurt Australia's long-term economic future.

Also the increasing economic burdens of an aging population have a large likelihood of pushing Australia into a recession situation as economic resources are redirected to 'lifesupport' and away from 'gratuitous consumption'.

At the same time a huge number of skilled people will be transitioning out of the work force - we already have an across-the-board skill shortage, and this will only grow, hurting our international competitiveness. We have a shallow talent pool compared to countries like India and China already, and this is only getting shallower.

The necessary growth in immigration could also change Australia's social nature - not necessarily for the worse - but the differences will create more of a generational struggle for power - political and economic.

This entire scenario will cause lots of challenges but also lots of opportunities for the canny investor.

Information laneway
Australia is rapidly falling behind much of the rest of the work in upgrading it's IT&T infrastructure - putting pressure on our ability to compete economically on a world stage.

We're still largely languishing on sub-broadband speeds by international measures and our IT skills shortage continues to grow as well-trained Australians head overseas for better wages and conditions.

We're not replacing the professionals we lose, and this can only have a negative impact on our long-term economic success in the Networked World.

It will also create huge opportunities - and in fact I'm investigating one in this area at the moment.

Peak oil
The world runs on a fossil fuel economy, and we're in the twilight of the oil age - with supplies globally showing all the warning signs of difficulty in replacing current sources of the fuel at current prices.

The world's energy consumption is growing rapidly and we will cope with this, however there is a major bump in the road in the next twenty years as the entire world has to rapidly (in geological terms) shift from a fossil fuel to a hybrid fuel (still using fossil fuels - but with lots of diverse alternative sources also in use) economy.

The height of this bump is yet to be seen - it could only knock off a few wheels as we go over it, or it could be a ten-foot brick wall.

I'm optimistic that human ingenuity will solve it without more than a generation worth of pain - however belief is one thing, what happens is yet to unfold.

Whatever happens, the global shift in energy use is already beginning, though Australia is still in denial - look at our resistance to domestic use of uranium as a fuel and the debate over wind energy.....

If the denial continues too long we'll be eclipsed economically, particularly as we're reliant on overseas supplies for over a third of our oil needs.

Regardless, this challenge also provide massive opportunities for those pick the right horses or profit from rising fossil fuel prices.

Yes I have a personal interest in this area and are actively seeking further opportunities in the sector.

Climate change
I expect to see areas as far south as Brisbane and potentially even Perth experiencing hurricanes in the next few years, an effect of global climatic change, causing huge costs in infrastructure replacement. I also expect to see major changes in land cultivation caused by changes in weather conditions.

Most of our major cities are already suffering water shortages and these are only likely to grow over time - recycling and desalinisation are possible rectification strategies, but will mean an increase in water costs - which constrains business and household economic activity and puts further burdens on struggling farmers.

Climatic change is also likely to see Australia hosting the entire populations of some of our Pacific neighbours as their homes become untenable. While their populations for the most part are small, cultural integration and financial support for these groups will challenge us.

Overall climatic change may be good for Australia, but there's going to be substantial pain adapting to the changes over the next thirty years.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

PS: Of course rather than submitting your own ideas of the biggest risks ahead, you could simply kibitz :)

Last edited:
i dont' know that peak oil prices will have a major effect - we just need to change the way we think. i was reading an article today about an aussie guy who's invented a car (4 seater) that runs around 300km on one battery, and the battery can be recharged for only a few dollars in six minutes. top speed is 160kph, so not losing out there, but his major hurdle is getting anyone interested to manufacture - scratch my head!!:confused:

i feel the biggest risk is availability of investing to the uneducated - borrowing and investing is becoming so easy thru the internet, brokers and guru books that i think the uneducated investors may end up a big bad apple in the barrel.

i don't think aging will be a major problem - the government is very aware of this and will take steps to soon raise the retirement age etc.

terrorism could be a big problem if somewhere like the usa gets major jitters or is attacked again big time.

consumerism could be a problem - that would take a major lifestyle/get the head around adjustment, but we can already see changes happening now with petrol being so expensive. no longer are the big, fancy, souped up cars the go ... hopefully that mentality will drift into other areas (although i was pricing some appliances the other day and was taken aback at what the common joe's were fondling).

anyone else?

Bump

Had you posted about a tenant not doing the right thing you would have recieved a dozen replies by now. But the big picture is a yawn, 12hrs and no replies.

In the spirit of your original post, I will modify your list.

I put the aging pop well down my list of concerns. The boomers should be retiring the the fittest ever. The biggest concern here is that general affluence has led to the highest rate of drug abuse of all time (my guess). So many who have not abused their bodies and have settled into a niche will work on well past 65 and many others will not live long enough to become a burden. I always think of smokers as selfless citizens.:D

Rather than speaking of "peak oil", being ill-defined as it is, and still with well respected nay-sayers: I would broaden the problem to being one of "ever increasing energy costs".

The cost of energy is rising rapidly and, so too, the world population. There is clearly a point where the existing supply imbalance between the first and the other two "worlds" becomes unsustainable. To say there is no obvious solution to this is to understate the problem. Resource wars are a given and the scary bit about that is that, unlike the cold war when both the US and USSR had too much to lose, a downtrodden despot is unlikely to feel similar constraints.

Much of physics works on the square law: ie, you double the measurement and quadruple the effect (the result is an expotential curve). (there is also the "inverse square law"). I mention this because some our futile attempts to solve the energy problem (eg melting tar sands) will cause an expotential rise in the rate of global warming. If the right one doesn't get 'ya, then the left one will!

FACT The Alberta tar sands will only ever become "reasonable" if they are melted by nuclear stem, not by burning natural gas as they are doing now.

So it's goodnight from a philosophical Thommo.

ps. I don't lose sleep over this. I just live life as it comes.

pps. Lizzie posted half an hour ago. Either I'm a terrible typist or a ponderous writer. LOL

Last edited:
Our aging population is certainly going to influence housing and lifestyle choices for the future. The big 'McMansions' will probably be less desired than town houses and units that could meet the needs of increasing numbers of singles and couples (the young and empty nesters).

Also, reductions in energy and water usage should become mandatory in all future housing to minimise the impact of global warming and climatic change.

Overall, all the risks suggested by Aceyducey are a good summary of the hurdles and challenges ahead for us.

Cheers,
AnneDe

RichardC said:
Had you posted about a tenant not doing the right thing you would have recieved a dozen replies by now. But the big picture is a yawn, 12hrs and no replies.

Very true, I'm tempted to add apathy to the list ;)

I don't lose sleep over the negative implications of any of the big changes ahead either - but I often stay awake with excitement over some of the opportunities emerging.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

PS:

Lizzie, I appreciate your viewpoint on Peak Oil, however don't forget plastics, man-made fibres, fertilisers, lubricants and both air and ship transport (particularly of foodstuffs and consumer durables). All of these are impacted, not simply petrol prices.

Most people are unaware of the huge range of products we use today that require significant amounts of oil to produce. The majority of these cannot be cheaply replaced - particularly not by electric batteries.

And how do you generate the electricity for millions of electric cars? That's a huge amount of energy we need to generate on top of existing (growing) demand.

The electric car solution might be worse than the problem. But at least the question is now being asked :)

What, do you believe, are the biggest risks facing investors today and why?

For me its interest rates. The labour market is my main concern as demand for labour is growing and so too will interest rates. It may be time to fix some more loans. I need to speak to my mortgage broker.

The biggest risks facing investors today is and has always been for investors throughout history:

A negative mindset (or suggestability to negative attitutes)
Procrastination
Lack of will power
Lack of genuine thinking (following like sheep)

Eliminate all above risks and you WILL SUCCEED in any market conditions!!

I am suprised no mention of war - given recent world events its worth discussing. Not the small-scale wars like Israel/Lebanon but more on Iraq scale - involving a major world power.

Given the massive amount of resouces that wars consume (and the resulting inflation and economic damage that most of them cause) its certainly something I am concerned about. The after effects of the current flashpoints will be felt for years to come IMHO.

hi Aceyducey
for me the largest risk is having two very large growing economies in india on one side and china on the other both wanting to expand and both not having the same worth on life as we have.
My worry is that we will be the deer in the teeth of two t rex's and both wanting to eat us.
we have a very large number of over 55 about to hit our social security system( they don't have a social security system) and our goverment is going to look to get investment in to help and for me it will be the same as japanese investment it will be a trojen horse.
so just like normal investing I would put a very good exit plan in place.
currently they don't need the space or the food supply but they will its a matter of time and there is not a cat in hells chance that we are ever going to catch there economy growth.
and I hope it doesn't happen but for me this will happpen and it will be within 20 years.
with the minor minnows of indonisia and indo china sat waiting.
its not a good place to be a small fish in a fish tank when all the other fish are growing at 10 to 15% more then you
at some stage they need room so 1 fish gets eaten.
my .002

I agree with GrossReal re China and their variation on valuing human life differently. Tibet, Taiwan, their support of the Nth Koreans should not be forgotten quickly. I am not as worried about India, as IMHO they are less aggressive. Further, I am sure China will do as the west has always done, and maintain an attitude towards world affairs, that favours self interest first.

Anyway, my 5 minute Sunday morning view on big picture risk is:

- the risk of the USA being eroded as a super power over the next 20-50 years. As much as many hate the US, and they admittedly make most decisions based on self interest, I think they have done a fairer job than anyone else might have, in protecting the evolution of intelligence and human rights.

- the risk of China becoming the new and only super power, first economically, then militarily. This might not be a bad thing, but it needs to be remembered that there is a tendency for various races to treat dissimilar races indifferently...... Despite the rantings of the fascist PC brigade, Caucasians treat other races unequally. The suffering of Bosnia, Rwanda, Chad are all examples of Western democracies' race based indifference.

- the effect of Chinese mass migration, especially to Australia. And I do think this will happen. In light of a falling birth rate amongst educated Euopean descendents in Australia, and greater immigration from Asia, I think Australia will gradually transition to a predominately Asian raced nation. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as I am very partial to many aspects of Asian culture and temperament. But I don't think the benefits of the West's Judeo-Christian values towards economic prosperity should be forgotten too readily. Whatever, Darwinian selection will always predominate on planet earth...the culture or race with the greatest survival advantage, will prosper. Others won't.

While I am on the race/culture thing, I was listening to counterpoint on radio national the other night - a great program hosted by Michael Duffy (presumably the ABC's attempt to balance Philip Adam's extreme leftist drivel). Mark Steyn was interviewed, and brought up some interesting facts about birth rates in Europe. Muslim immigrants are reproducing across Europe severalfold faster than Euros........
http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007760

Therefore, the greatest risk facing investors today, is that we are not investing in a sustainable future for Australia, hence our grandchildren.

Back