What do you believe?

In light of recent topics relating to Princess Diana, the moon landing and climate change I am asking SSers what belief(s) they may have that is(are) contrary to popular opinion. (Please no climate change topics, I don't want this thread derailed). At the risk of being ridiculed I'll start:

I believe that there are big black cats in the Australian bush.

And a question: Is absense of evidence, evidence of absense?

I believe in the power of attraction - as it was initially intended, not the hocus pocus that the media turned it into.

In light of recent topics relating to Princess Diana, the moon landing and climate change I am asking SSers what belief(s) they may have that is(are) contrary to popular opinion. (Please no climate change topics, I don't want this thread derailed). At the risk of being ridiculed I'll start:

I'm open to believe anything, but the more significant the claim the more significant the evidence required to be brought to the table by those making the assertion.

Equally, I hold the view that is never a good reason to believe anything for which there is not compelling evidence that it is true.

As a result, I find most of the cherished and deeply held beliefs of most people to be infantile ;)

Oh, absence of evidence is absence of evidence.

Lets get ahead of the pack and predict the next wealth (re)distribution policy according to the ruling governments agenda (The Greens).

I believe there should be an estate tax in the pipe works.

i believe in both creation and evolution all at once.

church bashing aside (and please don't drag that crap up again), evolution stil has a lot to answer for - but then creation leaves a gaping big hole, as well.

which is funny, because both holes left are about the same size as the opposing view...

for a very small snippet of an example - RNA has an evolution clock of about 9bil years, and DNA about 12bil - yet the universe is only 13.4bil years old when we use doppler effects to measure it's rate of expansion and reverse it. RNA and DNA could NOT have evolved in the universe's primordial space-dust soup.

however, evolution is as obvious as night and day. did we come from apes? who cares. the fact is that life on earth is forever adapting and forever changing and to deny that fact is to be a butterfly on a eucalyptus in the Styx.

one must then conclude that RNA and DNA existed before our universe was created - which means matter and life existed before the big bang - which may actually have been a big crunch between a matter universe and an antimatter universe - the result of two massive gravitational fields imploding on each other and containing the resultant annihilation until no gravity was left to do so. what is of our universe is the left over matter from what would have been an obviously bigger matter universe.

alternatively, it could also mean that quantum field theory applies to life as much as it applies to matter. we may find that "life" may just be another element to which the rules of the universe apply.

and indeed, if there are rules, which finding the higgs boson may actually prove, then one has to ask - why is it so? there would be no debate over the laws governing the mechanics of everything, rather the debate shifts to "why these rules?" and "are these rules constant across other planes?" ala superstring theory. Why do ancient Varyan texts from 5000 years ago accurately describe the resonance of other planes of existence like the strings of a sitar?

did you know that if you removed you car, your clothes, your house, your city, you, the earth, our solar system, our galaxy - the universe would still go on as if you never existed in the first place?

so creation may just be one of those things relevant to our universe, but not others. or it may a constant across all universes and will always remain a matter of faith. how deep does the rabbit hole go? how deep can you think? how alone can you be with your consciousness?

it's funny actually, because if you stretch the Genesis creation week out to 13.4bil years, it's actually pretty darn close whereby 1 day = 2bil years.

so who told those that wrote Genesis about it? was it learned? was it guessed? is it just a magical coincidence - a scientific mind would deny that because there are no coincidences but mathematical mind may in fact profess to nothing less. or was it remembered, maybe through quantum field theory? which moves into noetics, i guess - and that's just crazy talk.

and all in the pursuit of one question - where did we come from?

i for one would like to know more.

What I DON'T believe is that a lot of very intelligent people believe their religious stories literally. How do you reconcile that?

Your question is more challenging than it looks.

I very much like to research on [fill in the space], gather up data, evidence, information, even some opinion, (but I find I tend to also research the source of the opinion too). I'm just not sure if I 'believe in anything' for 'anythings sake.'

I'll have a crack at this though:

I believe in Science.

sci·ence   /ˈsaɪəns/ noun

1. a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws: the mathematical sciences.

2. systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.

3. any of the branches of natural or physical science.

On another note of interpretation, drifting a tad off specifications :p

-I believe in my own accountability, for my own choices, my own responsibility for my actions, my behaviour, the mood I am in, and all that I have created, (or not), (with appreciation from those who have had input:))

-I believe in myself, my attributes, my strengths and that I can recognise my lessor strengths.

-I believe in my capacity to learn, to grow as a person, and my love for humanity and the earth.

-I believe I also can learn more than 4 chords on my damn guitar!

What I DON'T believe is that a lot of very intelligent people believe their religious stories literally. How do you reconcile that?

because it flushes away doubt and allows one's mind to move on with more immediate tasks at hand.

if anything, it's a logical step for those seeking enlightenment in other areas of life / education.

I believe - in the face of almost overwhelming historical evidence to the contrary and absolutely no scientific justification whatsoever - that it is an intrinsic desire of all humans to act honestly, fairly and rationally. At least, that's the faith that helps me get out of bed in the mornings, so I'm sticking to it until something better comes along.

because it flushes away doubt and allows one's mind to move on with more immediate tasks at hand.

if anything, it's a logical step for those seeking enlightenment in other areas of life / education.

I see, a coping mechanism. I guess when in pain or shock you can do irrational things to help you survive so it makes sense from that POV.

Back