What do you guys think about Auburn, Sydney?

Downside meaning potential downside in current prices .
Some may argue upside constraints due to clear affordabillity issues with local demographic.

Downside meaning potential downside in current prices .
Some may argue upside constraints due to clear affordabillity issues with local demographic.

That's the great thing about property. There is no such thing as a current price. It changes because most of it is just in the heads of buyers and sellers.

If there is downside to current prices, don't pay current prices.
Alex

That's the great thing about property. There is no such thing as a current price. It changes because most of it is just in the heads of buyers and sellers.

Gosh and there I was thinking current prices were current prices being paid. Prices on average so to speak.

If there is downside to current prices, don't pay current prices.

Kind of like the potential downside I was trying to point out.

eternit stay away from cabramatta! since 04 its gone down hill big time do your research high crime area and low income.

not sure about rental though id assume its nothing to write home about.

eternit stay away from cabramatta! since 04 its gone down hill big time do your research high crime area and low income.

not sure about rental though id assume its nothing to write home about.

Actually it's improved since then.
You live in/near there? :cool:

yes i live close and i have family there, how much and whats changed.

and dont give me media and govt stats that say otherwise (beauracratic lies)as any investor willing to go there for an hour will still see drug runners doing biz while police are 50mtrs away.

maybe it has improved a little but its still a high crime area
compared to .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................EVERYWHERE!

dont get me wrong, property will rise just about everywhere but i prefer to choose more desirable areas(eastern subs,north shore, city etc).
This may not be feasable to all as price or other factors may not permit.

Each to their own as long as you invest your on the right track.

yes i live close and i have family there, how much and whats changed.

and dont give me media and govt stats that say otherwise (beauracratic lies)as any investor willing to go there for an hour will still see drug runners doing biz while police are 50mtrs away.

maybe it has improved a little but its still a high crime area
compared to .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................EVERYWHERE!

Put it this way - I'd rather live in Cabramatta than Punchbowl.

oh i knew you lived in cabra!

yeah everywhere but puncbowl auburn mt druitt etc you know the list

WHAT'S WRONG WITH MT DRUITT???? I live & invest in the area. There are pockets to stay away from, but on the whole, it's not much different to other areas except for price.

higher crime, lower income area such as cabramatta,my point is its not desirable area for all if you live there and like it thats great for you.

I generally tend to stick to more popular higher income areas but once again as i said this is not for all due to preferance,income etc.

People must watch out for these areas as well from time to time as there can be some major changes which give huge amounts of capital growth such as bulimba in brisbane, 6km to city on the river known as a ruff neighbourhood was transformed into a prestige area with nice classy reataurants and a few clubs on the main drag oxford st.

I do know these types of areas well having grown up next to macquarie fields
and realise not to invest there unless ther is a major change coming or a boom in these suburbs.

just my 2cents each to their own.

all of south western and most of western sydney could be considered "high crime" and "lower income" areas, compared to what though? Mosman?
There's crime in Mosman and there's crime in the southern and northern suburbs, the media just love to report on the west.
Does that mean no one should ever buy a house in western sydney.. dont think so.

Macquarie Fields gets a bad wrap too. My whole family live in Campbelltown/Minto/Airds/Mac Fields and never had a problem.

People will always stereotype due to media bias. Personally i cant stand the north shore or eastern suburbs and the people there. Give me a house in down to earth south west sydney anyday.

I have heard that you can get some pretty good rental yields in Auburn at the moment, my concern is that you may have difficulty in attracting and keeping a good tenant. When I was looking for a PPOR about 5 yrs ago in areas not far from Auburn, I asked agents to show me properties in Auburn as well as they were a bit cheaper. Only one agent took me to Auburn, the rest told me that they did not think it was a suitable place for a young Aussie girl to live on her own and that they did not want to be responsible for selling me a place there. I know of others who have moved to Auburn and didn't stay long, they didn't feel safe walking home from the station at night on their own.

all of south western and most of western sydney could be considered "high crime" and "lower income" areas, compared to what though? Mosman?
There's crime in Mosman and there's crime in the southern and northern suburbs, the media just love to report on the west.

Heres a true story ....
A chap I used to know with a bad scar on his face put it to me like this " I grew up in Liverpool and never had a problem, came to Turramurra for the first time and got my face slashed with a knife"

Cheers

Heres a true story ....
A chap I used to know with a bad scar on his face put it to me like this " I grew up in Liverpool and never had a problem, came to Turramurra for the first time and got my face slashed with a knife"

Cheers

It can happen anywhere - there was that stabbing at St Ives last year as well.. Hornsby has its share as well

And where I live.. Maroubra, its expensive but dangerous. The price tag doesn't always reflect how safe an area is. JCDeceaux the bus shelter company has to hire private security guards in Maroubra to protect their bus shelters from being smashed!

It can happen anywhere - there was that stabbing at St Ives last year as well.. Hornsby has its share as well

And where I live.. Maroubra, its expensive but dangerous. The price tag doesn't always reflect how safe an area is. JCDeceaux the bus shelter company has to hire private security guards in Maroubra to protect their bus shelters from being smashed!

No doubt, I also recently heard of someone beaten so badly in Warrawee they had to get hospitalised.
Rich Kids n 2pac a dangerous combination....

tiger i agree with you as well eastern subs have very stuck up smart **** people but you could sell a property 10 times easier and by auction (more than reserve usually)than a property in minto which if you put to auction wouldnt attract anyone.

I am not stereotyping based on media its based on me living there for a quarter of a century,living is a differant story i own a house out west and grew up there, i would rather live in a new 4 bedder out west than an old 1 bed unit for the same price in the mosman area,I just prefer to invest in these areas, i never knocked you guys for it i just stated my opinion.

sorry eternit for steering off topic.

Back