What Do You Hope To Achieve By Investing? What's The Point Of It All For You?

To feed my ego and superiority complex :D

Might be (uncomfortably?) close to the truth for me!! :D .

I was listening to a seminar regarding Purpose and relating your "level" of Purpose to the Maslow Hierarchy of Needs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

I believe I have passed the need for Survivial and that of the need for Security (have enough wealth to support these needs).

I therefore believe that at this point in time, I am operating somewhere in the region between the Level of Belonging and the Level of Esteem.

While I get along well with the current social/work/family circle, I think there is a sense of being the "big fish in the small pond". So the sense of Belonging to that particular group is starting to break, and a need to belong in a different group (with different aspirations/values) is starting to assume itself.

At the same time, the need to be respected, both by others and myself (self-respect/confidence), the need for recognition, is becoming a stronger driver - i.e. the needs of the Level of Esteem.

While I have some ideas forming for what I want to do at the level of self-actualization, I believe that for my immediate future, the drivers will be in that Belonging/Esteem level.

Cheers,

The Y-man

top10_jets6l.jpg

I actually saw this boat when it moored right outside my work at brisbane port

That's a funny looking boat.

Mark

I am actually having a lot of fun! I have learnt so much about shares and property investment in the last five years and have just scratched the surface. I have had my toyboy for over 30 years and have no plans to change him; so in the next phase of our lives I want to travel, drive really sweet RED cars, drink lots of champers, and never 'retire' because I can trade shares for as long as I want!

We have already put through 2 children in Independent schools for all of their schooling; have had one finish Uni the other about to start; have travelled with them to so many countries, have a beach house for our own use on the lower Murray lakes, and have had one IP we have just sold and now another IP on the riverfront. I think I have crossed off all my goals I set when we married; now to the next phase!

Well, that is my plan anyway!

(PS Cashflowplus - I just dont 'get' Bentleys!)

Why invest? What do you hope to achieve at the end of the journey (if there is an end) or along the way? What the point of it all for you?

I shouted my finance broker lunch yesterday for getting my recent property purchase deal together (beautiful setting on the waterfront) & we got talking about things for the future. He said I'd be happy on a farm living a self-sufficient life with his wife & child - living a simple life! I thought that was a terrific way to spend your life!

Why build an investment portfolio for 5, 10, 20, 30 + years, when you could just buy 1 home & be happy???

self sufficient life? grow vegies to sell? that's not a simple life...it's hard work and won't be enough to pay the mortgage, schooling and other necessities.

to buy a farm close to city/work...it would cost loads. to buy one in whopp whoop, you won't have a decent job with good pay.

so the whole point of a property portfolio is so that in the future you can bum off to the farm and live self sufficiently.

yes, your adviser can live his dream once he's 65y.o and has access to his super but I want to live my dream now.

The whole point is so that hubby and I can do what we really love rather than be in jobs that we hate. Hubby went back to Uni to do 1 yr post grad teaching and is now a teacher. He absolutely loves it but hates the politics. I hate working altogether coz I can't deal with the politics in any job and will only work on contract as then they can't get me involved in the politics. I need to do property so that I can achieve my goal of not working full time ever again. It only took us around 3 years to achieve our goals.

If we didn't have a portfolio, hubby couldn't sacrafice a high end management job to be a humble teacher for half the pay. Then he'd be miserable which will cause me to be miserable and then it will probably affect our marriage.

But we're not greedy either. I have no ambition to own 30 properties etc...I will just grow the portfolio as planned and see what happens. Looking back on our investment decisions, we didn't do well when we got greedy and have done well when we have stuck to our plan.

Hmmm maybe that article about generation Y's being lazy is correct. I am 28 so just made the cut off...not that I want to! and I hate working. I am a stay at home mum now and spend a few hours a week doing property related work.

(PS Cashflowplus - I just dont 'get' Bentleys!)
Probably especially the one I saw at my daughter's school a few years back- when petrol was a WHOLE lot cheaper.

A Bentley was dropping off a student- she opened the boot to get her bag out- to reveal an LPG conversion. If you are into saving money- why the Bentley?

Create a spreadsheet, Superstitionist. Buy one $300k IP every year for 4 years. The IPs go up 7.2% a year so the second year you buy a place for $321,600 and so on. Starting year 5 you buy 2 properties a year, again at the increasing price. Starting year 9 you buy 3 properties a year. See how much you own by year 12.

Assuming you use 90% LVR loans for the first 2, and then 105% LVR loans for the rest, you will own 12.9m in property with 9.9m in debt, giving you net assets of 3m. Cashflow problems can be overcome.
Alex

I think your concept is good if the cashflow is healthy. I have bought 3 properties for the last couple of years, currently I am hunting for the 4th one, as all the properties are -ve gear, so I am going to hit on the servicibility wall very soon, and still wondering if I can go on with the 5th one...:eek:

Number 1 motive : I invest for future security. If I'm a multi-property owner by mid 30's thats one less major headache to be concerned about when raising a family. I'm self-employed so by then I can hopefully tone down my work as much as I want to.

I also have a severely autistic brother so I want to be able to afford a comfortable life for myself and a happy life for him.

Number 2 motive : As embarrassing as it is - currently it's fancy cars :D

Although one thing I know for sure is that whilst my current No.2 motivator changes as I age, there will always be something i'll want at any time which can only be paid for by investing today. (could be something for the kids, family holiday, a fancy house... you never know I might even be into art collections by then :)

But for now the only thing thats changing as this motivator is which brand car I want to get (Lambo, Ferrari, Aston... decisions decisions :D)

Funnily enough at the moment i've absolutely nil interest on what my own home will be like once I move out, I couldn't care less if I lived in a tin shed over a mansion. I wonder how long it'll be before this changes.

I think your concept is good if the cashflow is healthy. I have bought 3 properties for the last couple of years, currently I am hunting for the 4th one, as all the properties are -ve gear, so I am going to hit on the servicibility wall very soon, and still wondering if I can go on with the 5th one...:eek:

Give it time. Rents increase. You can also consider building a share portfolio that pays franked dividends.
Alex

Funnily enough at the moment i've absolutely nil interest on what my own home will be like once I move out, I couldn't care less if I lived in a tin shed over a mansion. I wonder how long it'll be before this changes.

I would say it'll change when you meet a girl and start thinking about having a family. I didn't know what I wanted to live in when I was younger: I just rented whatever. Now I have a pretty good idea.
Alex

Neither do I. Ferraris, Astons and Lambos I 'get'. A Bentley just seems such an old man's car. Same with Rolls Royces. In my mind it's more suited to an old man with a driver.
Alex

Yeah, that's it. Too establishment, to be driven by a chauffeur, and not to be enjoyed as such. And have you ever seen a RED Bentley:p

I would prefer to drive a Convertible VW too! And as for LPG tanks, well yes, economy issue does seem to be a little silly doesnt it. Besides, with those stupid LPG tanks taking up all the boot space, where would I put my groceries!:p

There's a big cocktail party on Martha's Vineyard. Someone comes up to Joseph Heller, and says, "Joe, see that guy over there? He's a hedge fund manager, and he made more money yesterday than you made on all the books you have ever published." Heller looks over, pauses and says, "Yeah, but I have something he'll never have: enough." Joseph Heller

I want enough as well.

Why invest? What do you hope to achieve at the end of the journey (if there is an end) or along the way? What the point of it all for you?

Why build an investment portfolio for 5, 10, 20, 30 + years, when you could just buy 1 home & be happy???

I invest to see how true is it that : ' money begets money'. :D

Cheers

A Bentley was dropping off a student- she opened the boot to get her bag out- to reveal an LPG conversion. If you are into saving money- why the Bentley?

That sounds like going to Maccas and ordering diet coke. :confused:

OK, I'll admit it, I do that. :rolleyes:

See ya's.

Heller looks over, pauses and says, "Yeah, but I have something he'll never have: enough."

I want enough as well.

Aye, I'm the same Andrew. When I sat down and thought about it and thought 'I just want enough to live a decent lifestyle, not flashy, just enough.' Realised I only needed half of what I was originally aiming for and it would shave off a very large amount of the time I needed to build it up.

Living a simple life with simple pleasures sure beats the hell out of living in a huge house that is far too big for my needs and driving a ridiculous vehicle and all that other crap. Ego stroking and getting around in 'HEY LOOK AT ME!' stuff is not my style.

Mark

I invest because I have no choice. Saving what I earn from my day job will get me nowhere. I'd be too worried about my future to do nothing.

I also invest because it's challenging, rewarding and I want to be able to say "I QUIT!"

Back