What do you love the most about being a property investor?

I've had a private message asking me about this. It's an excellent question, and I think there may be some good answers out there.

Here's my ideas- and I (as well as the person who asked the question) would love to hear some responses:

First of all, the prospect- very much more real than 8 years ago before I discovered property investment- of being able to retire on something more than a pittance. That makes some of the short term sacrifices worth while. Even with positively geared properties, there are those times when you have short term expenses which aren't covered by loans or whatever.

But the I enjoy all the associated aspects of learning. There's always something new to learn. Tax deductions, property management "problems", and renovating to name just a few. It's a comparatively new area to me. I did buy a DHA property 6 years ago, and a Brisbane one 2 1/2 years ago- but it's only my recent purchases (3 cottages in ACT and a block of 8 1br in Queanbeyan) which have brought me closer to the real practical aspects of R/E. I don't want to do hands on- the property manager gets paid a pittance for doing all of that for me- but I'm enjoying all the ins and outs. And the learning of, and sharing of, information in this forum.

I like property because it has something for every stage of life for everybody.

Ya want capital growth, get growth properties.
Ya want extra income, get yield properties.
Ya want to say nick off to the tax man, buy any property
Ya want liability protection, buy property differently :p
I want to retire at HALF the "normal age". Property can do it.

To be honest the reason Im interested in IP is because I enjoy being lazy. I enjoy work and the associated academic challenges but Id much prefer to CHOOSE if i want to turn up. (which would be much more infrequently than my current situation)

In summary (of my incoherant babble) for me its all about freedom of choice

I would have to say :

1. To be able to retire at a half decent age (i.e. NOT >50) (remember that I'm currently 31)
2. To be able to learn more about this, as I find it a very enjoyable topic/hobby.
3. To share information to my friends about what I am doing (not in a bragging way, but in a way that they may do the same if they choose).

They would be the main ones. There's probably a stack more but most things would come under one of those banners in some way.

Andrew.

Financial abundance every day..... Time is one of the greatest wealth vehicles ever, if you know how to use it. And what better way than buying houses, using someone else’s money.
Ask yourself; if I were financially free now, what would that give me that I don't have in my life now?
This is the real reason.

Cheers
Ivan

Being a stickybeak by nature, I enjoy looking inside homes, even when I know from the outset that I'm not going to buy this particular property (research constitutes me peering into many renovated houses and units). I also enjoy the thrill of locating a good buy, even if it means many months of looking at houses before the right one pops up. (please let it be this weekend!)

I love planning a renovation, what needs to be done, who's going to do it and how. I get a real thrill out of a finished job, particularly when I've done some of it myself with my own labour. I actually don't mind painting (except ceilings!) and like all the colour choosing etc.

In the last couple of years, I've watched with glee as all my properties have appreciated far beyond what even I thought possible and to have accrued hundreds of thousands of dollars in capital growth alone is very exciting! I've found something that I'm becoming addicted to and, like any addiction, I find it impossible to give up. Even when on holidays, I look in real estate windows, searching for that elusive positive cashflow place or a bargain by the sea.

Property investment has given me a new focus and something different to do with my time, since the youngest of my three children begins school next year. Never again will I need to return to the paid workforce, as I enjoy creating financial rewards now and for the future.

Just some of my thoughts,

Its all about my desire for independance and not being told what to do .This is for Mrs Mitch and myself to retire,sure l like all the thrills and the learning and all the buzz things but the thing thing that realy horns me up is the independance from little jonny or who ever is in gov in 2012 telling me how to live ,how to invest, when l can retire,how much l can get paid from super or pension, you get my drift.I decide where and how and when and why.What will the retirement age be in 2012? WHO CARES! lm king of my domain and l shall reap what l sow. Do your best, the government isnt here to help. MITCH.

I'll be very honest with this reply.

You know the addrenilin rush you get when you & your partner sign yet another contract. The big breath you take, the sweaty hands, the naughty feeling you get when you're about to run up even more debt? Then you both go home with the feeling 'we're on our way closer to being millionaires'.

Cheers Brenda:)

1. Because I'm lazy.
2. Because I don't want to have to hold my breath when I use my EFTPOS card in case it declines.
3. Because it makes me feel superior when I tell other people about IP and they don't listen to me.
4. Because I'm nosey too.
5. Because I love the challenge of bidding for a property
6. Because I love picking all the colours. (And I hate ceilings too)
7. Because I wanna be RICH!!

Because it's fun!

Because I get to make things with my hands that other people can then enjoy.

Because I am only answerable to myself (& my partner)

Because I can spend more time with the people I love doing the things I want to do.

By the way - the real question is - would you remain a property investor if it wasn't a path to wealth (just to comfort)?

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Gday Aceyducey,

l had a conversation with a couple of blokes l work with about that wealth/comfort thing.They were commenting on what l thought my gross worth was and l was more interested in what my income potential was from the properties we own and how purchasing more IP would add to the income we would receive.

At the end of it we arived at the conclusion that the wealth creation was a by product of the desire to be comfortable and independant and my primary goal was that comfort,the wealth creation is a very satisfiying by product that l am more than delighted to accept

Regards, MITCH

HI

Because every property is different and the amount of money you can make on each depends on your own knowledge.

It's like a maze searching through the adds to find a good bargain.

It's easy money if you know what you are looking for.

Regards

Investor :)

PS. Also walking through other peoples houses is interesting.:p

Hi there,

For me personally the main thing that one day it will allow me to do in life what I want to do, when I want to do and the way I want to without worrying about any materialistic constraints.

At the same time it provides me an excellent opportunity to learn, to meet (electronically or in real) with other similarly minded people, share good and bad things, get helped and help others, that is, it also allows me to enjoy the journey all along the way and beyond at my own pace and comfort. I guess it gives more
than most people (including me) ever get out of their jobs.

Tibor

Originally posted by Queen Bee
1. Because I'm lazy.
2. Because I don't want to have to hold my breath when I use my EFTPOS card in case it declines.
3. Because it makes me feel superior when I tell other people about IP and they don't listen to me.
4. Because I'm nosey too.
5. Because I love the challenge of bidding for a property
6. Because I love picking all the colours. (And I hate ceilings too)
7. Because I wanna be RICH!!

Hehe - I didnt think Id find another investor w/ the same motivation as me .... being lazy.... im too lazy to work till im 65 !

G'day XBenX,

An interesting point (about being lazy) - and that reminded me of when I overheard a Manager talking of one particular person where I worked. He said something like "Yes, xxxxxx is lazy, but she's so determined to work less, that she looks hard for the most effective way to do the job. And THAT is beneficial to all of us!!!"

Laziness could yet become a virtue ;)

Regards,

Les,

Yeah I've always told people that it's because I'm lazy I work so hard. I work really long hours to make my work as easy as possible :)

Of course, it could just be that I'm an obsessive compulsive Type A person ;)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back