What do you search for?

Just wondering how everyone searches for property on line... when your price max is $400k do you only search up to $400k or do you search up a little higher knowing that you will negotiate the price?

I am asking as i am always amazed at what a difference a price drop can make to enquiry.... as an example i have had a property on the market for $420k for the past 3 weeks (under owners instructions as i thought it would be better marketed at $395k.. but that is a whole other story) with very little enquiry - 2 to 3 people inspecting and only one low offer of $340k. So i get the owner to drop the asking price to $399k... well i get 15 groups through the open and have 4 people competing for the property and it sells for $395k.... The funny thing is the owners only wanted $380k and if one of those people had come through a week earlier they would have got it without competition for that. So all these people are obviously only searching up to $400k...

Personally I always search Above my price limit. A couple of reasons:
firstly, just because a vendor is asking for a certain price doesn't mean you have to pay that much.
second, I like to see what else is available for a little more
Thirdly, for some reason some properties that are in my price range may not show up in the more narrow search (ie, when those properties have a price range rather then an actual fixed figure - or if the property is one or two thousand over).

Having said that, I know a lot of people who aren't into property investing, but just looking for a PPOR will only look at properties below and including their maximum limit.

I agree with rugrat. Our budget was $550k so we put a search up to $600k on domain and realestate. For example our dream PPOR was 1st advertised at $650k. Then price was dropped to $600k so we found out about it. We eventually bought it within our budget so we were happy :)

Back