What do you think of this offer?

Hi guys,

I've been striving to meet my goal of buying my second IP by the end of 2011 but I haven't yet been successful as I aim to buy 15-20k (or more) below the market comparatives at least so I am able to move to my next purchase quicker. This is what I did with my first purchase that I bought for $190k (a villa in the Blacktown region) in 2010, did a $5k reno and got a re-val done for $235k in less than a year of signing the contract for that one.

Today I went to see a deceased estate - a 2 bed villa. It's 40 years old. Seems better than the "other" 2 bed villas around in the area in terms of size. The complex is small with around 9 villas in there. The size appears to be big.

Now a bit about the property...It stunk! Seems the deceased owner was a chain smoker and I was about to throw up the moment I entered that property. It needs a paint, a new carpet, floor boards in the kitchen (prefer that over tiling as the kitchen is dated), new light globe covers, door/kitchen/BIR handles changing, laundry tub needs changing, new blinds. The kitchen is original and with one of those "teak" covers on doors which I'd rather get painted white. I estimated the costs of upto $6000-$7000 all up roughly...The good thing was the bathroom had a new vanity, tub and seat and was tidy (probably the only place that was tidy in the whole villa!)

The listing price is around $219k. The agent told me the "other" offer is $210k which has been "accepted" and if I can offer around that mark that may be accepted - WHILE he also mentioned the other buyer hasn't really come back yet. I told him that I will be offering no where near that and I will be doing my numbers before I make any offers.

Comparatives show there was a sale in the complex for $195k in August and another sale last year for $229k. There are a few other villas in the area as I mentioned (in better condition) for $205k, $199k - but smaller in size and seems no body wants to buy them even though some are renovated. Newer 2 bed villas in the area seem to be selling for $245k mark. While RP data says the property is worth around $221k and $257k (although we all know that RP data can be wrong) - but just an indicator.

After I came back home in the morning, I did my numbers and emailed the agent an offer of $185k stating that by law I would expect that my offer is presented to the trustee of the property....If the property is even worth $225k after the reno, I'd be able to take most of my outlay back (perhaps short of $5,500)...

Just wondering what are your thoughts? At first I was going to offer $182,500. But then I thought $185,000 may be more convincing? Just new to this negotiating game...But wonder how often do these trustees knock back the offers? Especially this sort of a property which stinks and not many would want to walk through it.

The only downside I thought was lack of sunlight but paint etc should lift it up. The upside was the rental potential of between $310-$320 per week and not so negatively geared either....

If I do get it and I go ahead with it, I'd also like a settlement in the last week of Feb as I am overseas between 23rd Jan and 23rd Feb. Hope I'm not asking for too much...:eek: Just looking out for me :)

What are your thoughts?

if you have done the numbers and that works then your going good
how much room do you have to move in your negotiating?
as far as i see it you havent got it really any cheaper as its in worse condition than the one that went for 195k
i guess if they accept then they were probably looking for too much
and it also depends how badly you want it..
if your not fussed offer lower than you think if you want it give a decent offer

BMan...you are right. Perhaps it isn't a lot cheaper. But the previous one was an auction - not sure under what circumstances and what condition though. I am not keen to go any higher than this anyway. How often do people revise their offers to be LOWER than what they first offered before/after being accepted? I'm looking at overall comparative sales in the suburb.

I have a budget to spend upto $250k. I am also keen to look at houses in the Blacktown Region...But not sure why, I've been scared of the types of tenants around the "housing commission" suburbs (I know a lot of good people live there too...but I went to a few open homes there and I didn't like the demographics in those properties). Also seems like there is more competition for such houses...I'm seeing one listed for $235k (clad home on ~560sqm) tomorrow and IMO it will be a good purchase for around $220k as it has a refurbished kitchen and bathroom while a property needing a new kitchen/bath, paint and blinds recently sold for $225k and the nicer ones are going for $245k mark...

I feel perhaps I am being emotional about the villa and I'm yet to hear from the agent. But this area is nicer than the Mt Druitt/Tregear/Lethbridge Park belt.

Aaron, the trustee is a solicitor. I am not sure why they are not going for an auction. Should they be? The first one I bought was a mortgagee and they never went to an auction either....

I don't get it. You said that the other villas nearby, fully renovated etc, no one wants them. So why do you want this villa if you might receive the same fate?

I don't get it. You said that the other villas nearby, fully renovated etc, no one wants them. So why do you want this villa if you might receive the same fate?

I believe those villas are a lot smaller and a few for sale in the same complex. This one, I see potential to value add by fixing up. But still considering....

Do people normally offer and then downgrade offers? Apologies if this sounds silly.

Actually I might have to reduce my offer as I see the other villa sold in the complex for $195k in August is in a HEAPS better condition!

Do people normally offer and then downgrade offers? Apologies if this sounds silly.

I've done that before and got the cheaper price with a longer settlement. It depends if the vendor receives no more offers and gets desperate (as mine was).

In answer to the previous question, they don't have to go to auction but it's common for them to do so.

I've done that before and got the cheaper price with a longer settlement. It depends if the vendor receives no more offers and gets desperate (as mine was).

In answer to the previous question, they don't have to go to auction but it's common for them to do so.

Thanks Aaron :). I am seeing the agent tomorrow for another property. I might actually say to him that I did a bit of research and will be downgrading my offer to around $175k. My offer may not get accepted, but I don't think it's really worth it otherwise.

*snip*

If I do get it and I go ahead with it, I'd also like a settlement in the last week of Feb as I am overseas between 23rd Jan and 23rd Feb. Hope I'm not asking for too much...:eek: Just looking out for me :)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks Aaron :). I am seeing the agent tomorrow for another property. I might actually say to him that I did a bit of research and will be downgrading my offer to around $175k. My offer may not get accepted, but I don't think it's really worth it otherwise.

Generally, you negotiate terms and price. Seems you have some specific requirements for terms, so you might need to be more on price. However, if the vendor has some terms requirements (ie, they want a short settlement - which could be the case if the heirs want their inheritance in a hurry!) then you might find that THEY will be more flexible on price if you can accommodate them.

Alternatively, you might be have to pay a 'decent' price, but can negotiate a long(er) settlement, with early access so you can start your reno. A month of reno-ing without holding costs could mean you can rent from day 1 after settlement. This could be worth $5k, depending.

It's all about finding a middle ground. Good luck!!

Thanks wobblycat/Rob.

I had an 8:30am call from someone from the agents to say that the solicitors of the benficiaries don't open till the 9th January. So I told him that I had done some research and that I would be revising my offer. I will be emailing this offer a bit later. Likely to be around $173k-$175k mark. And it being 9th Jan and possible to-ing and fro-ing might buy me time for settlement when I'm back.

Not to say it's the last property on the market but a good potential.

As for early access....there could be a possibility but I know there are risks involved...

I'm considering lowering my offer given the comperatives. I have time as the solicitors for the beneficiaries are on holidays till 9th Jan (like most other solicitors). I flagged to the agent how another villa in the same complex sold by their agency for $195k and was in a heaps better condition. He said that villa went to auction and did not sell and the vendors really wanted to offload it and sold for a lot cheaper than should have (he thinks it should have gone for round about $220k mark). He also said the other buyer who is willing to pay $210k was waiting on the cooling off to be over on their place before this one can go unconditional. He thinks my offer even at $185k will get rejected. Lets see...by law they shouldn't be telling me what the other party has offered anyway! I will be revising my offer in writing in the next few days...:cool:

I'm considering lowering my offer given the comperatives. I have time as the solicitors for the beneficiaries are on holidays till 9th Jan (like most other solicitors). I flagged to the agent how another villa in the same complex sold by their agency for $195k and was in a heaps better condition. He said that villa went to auction and did not sell and the vendors really wanted to offload it and sold for a lot cheaper than should have (he thinks it should have gone for round about $220k mark). He also said the other buyer who is willing to pay $210k was waiting on the cooling off to be over on their place before this one can go unconditional. He thinks my offer even at $185k will get rejected. Lets see...by law they shouldn't be telling me what the other party has offered anyway! I will be revising my offer in writing in the next few days...:cool:

I found a similar property a couple of weeks ago. House was first week on market, asking price $219k. Comparable houses in area $240k tops. This house looked lovely outside, owner had several cats inside and the place was a disaster with animals everywhere and their smell. Agent refused to walk in, I nearly vomited. I offered $150K. Somebody else offered $218K. WTF.

Reason why vendor does not accept a "reasonable" offer: because there is a very good chance that somebody will be happy to pay stupid money. It's worth vendor's while to hold out.

Agreed vaughan.

Actually I may stick to my $185k offer. Don't think I'd get it any cheaper. But you never know. Because the property stinks so much, I am sure it will put off many potential buyers.

Will be sticking to the offer of $185k. Now just need the solicitors to be back in office who can then put it forward to the beneficiaries...

I heard back from the agent today. He said they had two other offers, one being $20,000 higher than mine at $205,000. While since the estate solicitors just came back to their office today, none of the offers had yet been considered by the solicitors/beneficiaries of the estate. So I said, look my absolute final offer will be $190,000.

I'm surprised that he will be putting that forward as well. Obviously this means they have no other offers. The property stinks of cigarettes and needs a bit of work! So I will sit tight for two days and if he calls back sooner then obviously there are no other offers! Cutting fine with time...but if I can get it I will take it at $190,000 else look when I'm back from holidays.:rolleyes:

Other party (if real) may wish for long settlement or have other conditions the vendor may not like/agree with. Not always about the price so sit tight.

Ok, I've had to walk away as apparently they do have much higher offers and I won't be matching them.

Just a bit disappointed about not having met my goal of buying my second IP by the end of 2011.

Back