What Documentation Do You Get?

Hi Guys,

I'm just curious as to how much formal documentation you have received from your Solicitor/Conveyancer for your property purchase in NSW?

Previous purchases in Victoria have run extremely smoothly and our Solicitor was very professional providing us with formal letters/documentation by e-mail and updating the progress throughout the entire process.

Current Solicitor in NSW, we barely get anything formal, just dribs and drabs one liners via e-mail. No updates on progress, nothing, unless we chaise them. Contact is difficult to get hold of and comes across as very willy nilly/casual.

Also, what's the deal in NSW, does the purchaser need to sign any Transfer of Land documents, etc. similar to in Victoria as our Solicitor is telling us that's not the case for NSW and only the Vendor does this. This seems very odd to me.

Very uneasy at the moment.

Depends on the solicitor.

They should really give you a letter upfront outlining issues, what to look out for, stamp duty etc

The solicitor can sign the transfer on your behalf.

They should give you replies to requisitions - maybe only if anything unusual.

As settlment approaches a copy of the settlement adjustment sheets and searches.

A letter when done.

Hi Guys,

I'm just curious as to how much formal documentation you have received from your Solicitor/Conveyancer for your property purchase in NSW?

Previous purchases in Victoria have run extremely smoothly and our Solicitor was very professional providing us with formal letters/documentation by e-mail and updating the progress throughout the entire process.

My experience is similar? I expect forma documentations on anything that need to be formal, e.g.
  • Cost agreement
  • Copy Contract
  • Communications from vendor solicitor scanned e.g. Strata documents, Occupancy certificates, title checks
  • Email updates along the way
  • Settlement adjustment document
  • Invoice and payment receipt once done

Also, what's the deal in NSW, does the purchaser need to sign any Transfer of Land documents, etc. similar to in Victoria as our Solicitor is telling us that's not the case for NSW and only the Vendor does this. This seems very odd to me.

I don't actually remember signing this for my IP in NSW....

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. This is the timeline of events thus far.

E-mail following initial enquiry about their services, which I guess acted as a letter outlining potential issues as it did mention searches for adverse affectations, their fee, not to sign contract without review, etc.

Contract forwarded and verbally advised OK to sign.

Contracts exchanged and confirmation advised via SMS. Still haven't seen a signed copy from the Vendor's side.

I have no idea if searches have been conducted or the outcome albeit they say they have been done.

Strata Report was ordered immediately following Contract Exchange. We followed up on status after 3 days only to be advised it couldn't be completed till following week (day cooling off period was due to expire). Thankfully we got an extension albeit no urgency on behalf of our Solicitor.

I've been advised the Stamp Duty in a one liner with the amount and link to the OSR.

I've just now today requested settlement adjustment sheet, etc. be prepared and settlement be booked/organised with the vendor's Solicitor whilst we're away overseas next week as we're due to settle 5 days after we return and need to hit the ground running.

I'm still yet to see any correspondence on their letterhead.

Most of the time, I'm calling to follow up on things as to where we are at, if I'm lucky, I'll be able to reach them, get a call back or a response to an e-mail. I do understand they have other clients other than us but it would be nice to be kept in the loop during the process.

Is this usual? Or am I just being a pedantic client with nothing else better to complain about. I've done real estate transactions in QLD and VIC but never NSW so not sure if it's just that NSW is vastly different and my expectations are skewed or what.

Pretty poor in my opinion.
I get Email updates and any paperwork forwarded to me. A phone call if urgent. I alwaqys know what's going on or if there are any problems that I need to address.
I can ring and usually speak to my solicitor when I need to (which is not often due to good communication via Emails).

I hope your guy is cheap. If not time to move on (well I'd move on anyway). You need someone decent.

I hope your guy is cheap. If not time to move on (well I'd move on anyway). You need someone decent.

$1,100 (incl. GST) + Disbursements :mad:

This is the first time using them, will most likely be the last.

I think we're too far down the track now to pick-up and move elsewhere now, or are we?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. This is the timeline of events thus far.

E-mail following initial enquiry about their services, which I guess acted as a letter outlining potential issues as it did mention searches for adverse affectations, their fee, not to sign contract without review, etc.

Contract forwarded and verbally advised OK to sign.

Contracts exchanged and confirmation advised via SMS. Still haven't seen a signed copy from the Vendor's side.

I have no idea if searches have been conducted or the outcome albeit they say they have been done.

Strata Report was ordered immediately following Contract Exchange. We followed up on status after 3 days only to be advised it couldn't be completed till following week (day cooling off period was due to expire). Thankfully we got an extension albeit no urgency on behalf of our Solicitor.

I've been advised the Stamp Duty in a one liner with the amount and link to the OSR.

I've just now today requested settlement adjustment sheet, etc. be prepared and settlement be booked/organised with the vendor's Solicitor whilst we're away overseas next week as we're due to settle 5 days after we return and need to hit the ground running.

I'm still yet to see any correspondence on their letterhead.

Most of the time, I'm calling to follow up on things as to where we are at, if I'm lucky, I'll be able to reach them, get a call back or a response to an e-mail. I do understand they have other clients other than us but it would be nice to be kept in the loop during the process.

Is this usual? Or am I just being a pedantic client with nothing else better to complain about. I've done real estate transactions in QLD and VIC but never NSW so not sure if it's just that NSW is vastly different and my expectations are skewed or what.

That is probably not usual, well not how I would do it.

I actually write to clients warning them and explaining about major issues in the contract. If you don't and something goes wrong the client will say I didn't know or I wasn't told. If its in writing then there is no dispute.

Settlement adjustments are done a few days to a week before settlement - usuage figures are changing so have to leave it till the end.

Have you paid the stamp duty yet?

I think we're too far down the track now to pick-up and move elsewhere now, or are we?

That is what I charge.

Changing solicitors now is possible, but messy and you would have to pay twice.

I think the charge is reasonable IF the service is great :-\ Shame.

And no, I don't think you're being pedantic. It's reasonable to expect certain level of communications, e.g. interpretation of contract, progress update, reminders of settlement, etc etc.

That is what I charge.

Changing solicitors now is possible, but messy and you would have to pay twice.

Hmm, in that case, perhaps the fee is excessive in comparison to the service!

I'm not keen on paying twice so I'll ride it out for now but what concerns me is the chance of further hiccups along the way, especially as I'm out of contact for a week and won't be able to keep a tab on things to ensure we meet the settlement date.

Hi Guys,

Can somebody please tell me after a property is settled in NSW, should we have received confirmation from the local council and water authority confirming change of ownership and that all monies have been adjusted/paid for the current period?

Thus far have received nothing but accidentally opened a letter from City of Sydney today, not realising that it wasn't addressed to us but the previous owner, and low and behold it's the 4th rates instalment with an overdue amount for the previous instalment!

Our solicitor advised all adjustments were made up to 30 June not to mention it was addressed to THE PREVIOUS OWNER! Property settled mid March and the posting date of this notice was 29 April!

AHH! HELP!

Back