What does a property managers responsibility stretch to?

It depends. I doubt most managers would go to that much trouble, they have a lot of high presure work to do, and arent paid all that well.

Ive had some offer to project manager small reno's etc, but this was above and beyond what they would usually do. Id say their responsibility ends in informing you of any problems. You might then instruct them on how to fix these issues, but anything more than arranging a contractor or handy man to complete them would be above and beyond. Having them chase up your builder/insurance company is certainly above and beyond.

id say the email you received about having landlord insurance and periodic tenancy is not related at all to your issue about the fittings.

Wonder if there such thing as full service or half service property manager? I guess you have to ask details and scope prior to engagement of the service. There is such thing as drawing the line in between.

Most agents won't "project manage" any work that is likely to cost more than $3,000 as their professional indemnity insurance may not cover them if something goes wrong/they get sued.

We have a few ongoing issues that we're helping to deal with. New townhouses that weren't built to code 3 years ago, plumbing not connected properly, termites etc. That's been going for 3 years now with no result.

The agent will do their best to help, but they have no financial interest in the outcome, and often the body corp/developer won't deal with them, so it's really in your best interests to be as involved as possible.

My PM in Perth has been happy to liaise with my builder in regards to warranty work. They are managing 3 brand new villas with an easy to deal with Builder though. I suspect if there was less in it for them they might not do it for me.

It's just as easy for them to call my Builder when the garage motor played up as calling a garage door repair man.

Agreed - all the maintenance we do within the first year is usually covered under a builder's warranty - so that's what we organise.

If the builder refuses to fix, and the owner refuses to pay for another tradie - then what. We've got a couple of claims against the BSA in QLD to try and get builders to come back and make good on their work.

We don't get anything out of it, as we don't take maintenance commissions - but happy to help where we can.

If you want to escalate it past what we can do, then you need to take the builder/whomever to mediation or small claims, so it helps if you've been involved from the get-go.

I've always laiased with builders for newer properties in regards to their warranty, and with manufacturers for appliances - even if the appliance was purchased by the landlord without my involvement at all.

I have previously managed a few largeish renovations where the whole house has had a full cosmetic makeover.

It all depends on the PM and also the fees you pay. I project manage mid to large scale renovations for my clients however anything over the 10k is charged as a percentage of the expenditure.
I do chase warranties and works to be completed under warranty as well as take notes on times called etc however if it gets to the point where it would need to be taken further, then we would need to hand that back to the owner.

I believe you should give great consideration to your PM's capabilities. Most PM's won't have the skills, or know how to actually be able to assist in this area and can certainly agrevate the situation more. As a PM myself, but a fully qualified quantity surveyor and cost estimator and planner I know all to well that these issues can be difficult and time consuming to deal with.

If you believe your PM can deal with these, they may well help you. Alternatively if you don't feel fit to deal with it yourself you can engage someone independent to assist.

If you would like some more help with this feel free to PM me.

depends how much control you like to have - in terms of time and money. You can obviously do a much better/more efficient job than someone who is managing yours and many other properties just like yours.

Back