What does the past tell us our market will do ?

Hi guys

Allot of people who remember them, mention bits and pieces of our previous booms, downturns and cycles .

Maybe what has happened in the past is the best guide in when and what to expect this time round .

If you remember other cycles could you describe them and any correlations to now please , I know I for one would be very interested ..

Someone mentioned that property has slumped 18-24 mths after a stock market crash with others so there's the first guide, maybe . What late 09 onwards ?

Cheers

we're long on Silver - apparently what's happening now with Silver being oversold compared to Gold is exactly what happened in 87, with Silver being a standout buy in those times as well.

horses for courses, but if i don't try it, i'll never learn.

The media will be unrelentingly bleak and negative as values stagnate and businesses fail, till 90% of the population give up thoughts of RE ever rising in value. This is the time to invest big.
It is always darkest just before the dawn.

In 1982 I had the chance to buy 2 adjacent 3 bedroom houses positive geared for $4000 each. They are now worth 50 times that. $200,000 each.

IMPORTANTLY, at the time the listing was in the RE agents window for months. NOBODY wanted them!

In the end the local Chiropractor bought them and still has them.

No rush to invest right now for me. Plenty of time.

Hi guys
What does the past tell us our market will do ?
Cheers

Months ago I believed Buffet saw this coming. He spoke of CDO's and derivitives and all this financial crap that I'd never even heard of. He certainly talked about how this disaster could happen. However he's since lost countless billions. A lot of very smart blokes missed it. Gerry Harvey, Kerr Nielson, Pretty much every economist in the world. Only the perma bears saw this coming.

Since so few saw it coming, then I will conclude that the past tells us nothing and is almost useless. If you could look to the past and see these things, All the smart dudes would have known what was coming, so that means the bubble in everything would never have happened, and now there would be no bust.

See ya's.

Maybe what has happened in the past is the best guide in when and what to expect this time round .
Markets/cycles/booms etc are different every time.... the inputs are different, and consequently the outcomes are different. However, the constant is peoples behavior. An example - media & govt is telling us times are tough, the response of the masses is to cut discretionary spending & increase saving for the impending rainy day - it's built into our genes - it happens every time. If you can work out how the masses will react to a given set of inputs, then it's easier to catch the next wave.

Someone mentioned that property has slumped 18-24 mths after a stock market crash with others so there's the first guide, maybe.
I think that's an example based on a v. low number of instances. The inputs this time will be v. different from other times - high debt levels, FHOG, extremely poor global sentiment, probable global recession, increasing unemp, v.low IRs.... and consequently the result is likely to be different. And the timeframe v. different.

Months ago I believed Buffet saw this coming. He certainly talked about how this disaster could happen. However he's since lost countless billions. A lot of very smart blokes missed it. Gerry Harvey, Kerr Nielson, Pretty much every economist in the world. Only the perma bears saw this coming.
Can someone give TC some kudos for that 'cos I gotta spread it around first :).

Since so few saw it coming, then I will conclude that the past tells us nothing and is almost useless. If you could look to the past and see these things, All the smart dudes would have known what was coming, so that means the bubble in everything would never have happened, and now there would be no bust.

I wouldn't agree that history is useless & tells us almost nothing. I think history gives us a reasonable base for assessing probabilities. And also a good basis for studying human behavior.

It's impossible to plan for every possible Black Swan that could occur. And for the majority of them, sensible risk management, adapting to the circumstances and taking a long term view will allow most to ride them out.

EG. That earthquake near Melb last week - standard insurance doesn't cover earthquakes - no-one could have predicted it. Historically Melbourne has had v. few earthquakes - it's a highly unlikely event. Should we all build earthquake-proof houses at huge expense to cater for a 1 in 10 million event ? of course not - the cost-benefit equation doesn't add up. We accept that everything has a degree of risk - hope for the best, but plan for (the more likely of) the worst.

If you ask me, no-one ever knows whats happening or what is going to happen in the residential real estate sector,

Buy whenever you can and never sell them,

Constant study will prove wrong and do your head in,

Houses always rise in value,

The more you have the merrier you are,

Retire and live off your properties,

No worries and don't lose any sleep.

Cheers!

(In lamens terms..)

we're long on Silver - apparently what's happening now with Silver being oversold compared to Gold is exactly what happened in 87, with Silver being a standout buy in those times as well.

In market Speak, you've gone John Holmes on silver.
Brave move, but fortune certainly favours the bold. Good on you for having the courage to have a go!!

For me personally the past tells me very little except that you can always depend on human behaviour reacting in a predictable manner to negative/positive reports. Fear and greed, I know cliche, but the cycle/psychology seems to be hopelessly in fear mode.

Months ago I believed Buffet saw this coming. He spoke of CDO's and derivitives and all this financial crap that I'd never even heard of. He certainly talked about how this disaster could happen. However he's since lost countless billions. A lot of very smart blokes missed it. Gerry Harvey, Kerr Nielson, Pretty much every economist in the world. Only the perma bears saw this coming.

See ya's.

So true.

I read a Donald Trump book years ago that he was expecting the biggest recession America had ever seen. He outlined high levels of debt, reckless spending, over indebted consumers and an over inflated US Dollar.

Correct me if I am wrong but I am sure I have read somewhere recently that a few of DT's business are going belly up and bankrupt?....AGAIN????????:eek:

Regards JO

Correct me if I am wrong but I am sure I have read somewhere recently that a few of DT's business are going belly up and bankrupt?....AGAIN????????:eek:

You're right, Jo - DT is in strife again. Am sure he'll be back, though ...

That guy seems to more lives than the proverbial cat! ;)

Cheers
LynnH

i'm not re-financing the house against it, just a few CFDs.

i'm out of gold if it falls below 890.

If you're trading, go long the index for a week.

BTW I disagree with your sig. If the son wasn't smarter than the father, we'd still be living in caves. should read If the son didn't stand on the father's shoulders we'd still be living in caves.

Sadly, today too many sons have abandoned the ways of the fathers.

Yep DT has a few things going belly up right now , saw him moaning for an hour the other night on some late thing .

Owell , looks like it's back to the drawing board.

Cheers

Last edited:
If you're trading, go long the index for a week.

BTW I disagree with your sig. If the son wasn't smarter than the father, we'd still be living in caves. should read If the son didn't stand on the father's shoulders we'd still be living in caves.

Sadly, today too many sons have abandoned the ways of the fathers.

because some father's have a pre-war mindset when it comes to money (and food!) and have investing ideas that are non-existent or irrelevant today.

because some father's have a pre-war mindset when it comes to money (and food!) and have investing ideas that are non-existent or irrelevant today.

You are (probably) not smarter than your father. Just more arrogant.

My father survived two world wars and the Great Depression and while I may be more modern/sophisticated than he was (he's dead of course) I make no claim re intelligence.

Without the net to research, could you, personally plot the orbits of the heavenly bodies and predict when they will re-appear? Some of the dumb-shits who preceded you did that thousands of years ago.

If you ask me, no-one ever knows whats happening or what is going to happen in the residential real estate sector,

Buy whenever you can and never sell them,

Constant study will prove wrong and do your head in,

Houses always rise in value,

The more you have the merrier you are,

Retire and live off your properties,

No worries and don't lose any sleep.

Cheers!

(In lamens terms..)

I might frame this one , simplicity at it's best.

Trouble is I need to make some decisions on two I have, that mightn't go as planned , which is gonna hurt me .
And then I have a third property in mind that I want right now if I can get it.
The circumstances on all three hinge in one way or another on just what the hell everything looks like doing unfortunately.

I really wish I was in the position to just sit on the fence and let it all unfold
but no such luck , maybe the next time round .

Cheers

I don't think it's true that so few saw it coming. Knowing the past and actually taking stock of it and making decisions based on it are two different things.
There are some interesting correlations in the past which have been predictable this time round.

Just wish I had known about this stiff a few years ago.

Did you know the stock market rises and falls have a correlation with the length of womens' dresses:eek:. Bring back the mini skirt I say.:D

Back