What does your portfolio look like?

Just trying to gauge how realistic my expectations are in terms of building a portfolio of IP's.

How many do you have in your portfolio? What's your overall cashflow like? How much total equity in your portfolio do you have?

And most importantly, HOW LONG has it taken you to reach where you're at?

Cheers!

How many? 3 houses (+ 1 Granny flat)
Overall cash flow? -$3690.00
Equity? 20% of 1.5 Mil + 150K in offset + 40K in shares
How long? 7 years
Other factors? We are both on decent income but we had 3 kids in this period

27 apartments in 3 buildings, of course the buildings else you're just paying rent, not good,
23 oops, 13 single dwellings on between 1/4 to 5 acres each
cf+ 2.75x10[sup]5[/sup]
equity ~80%
7 years

didnt buy something last year, have to buy two this year

Last edited:
Just trying to gauge how realistic my expectations are in terms of building a portfolio of IP's.

How many do you have in your portfolio? What's your overall cashflow like? How much total equity in your portfolio do you have?

Cheers!

Sorry buddy, but those are very personal questions there and I prefer a bit of anonymity.

Let me just say this...

How many? Several
Cashflow? Positive
Equity? Yep! Got some of that.

Been doing this for about 14 years now.

Cheers!

but dont you think each individuals goals,motivation are diff ?
how can you limit on what you can achieve based upon what others have done so far ? :confused:

if you have more knowledge and more risk taking capability you can outearn many !

my portfolio: 3 apartments overseas and 1 IP house in Aus, CF+ , no shares, good equity in apts. took 12 years.

now how are you going to use this data (among other posters) ?

Last edited:

This is one of the biggest mistakes newbies (and sometimes not so newbies) will make in property investment! That is comparing one's self to others. We are all different.

By making comparisons you will be either focusing on the glass half empty (in other words what you dont have compared to others) and/or cutting yourself short on what you can achieve and your full potential. You attract what you focus on the majority of the time - good & bad.

Last edited:
Here is a glass chocka full example:

Nathan Birch, well documented to have 73 IP's holding $10m worth @ 50%LVR
pulling net $200k in rent.
I call that glass full but I think if you ask Nathan, he's not quite finished yet, I think his goal was to have 100 IP's by age 30.

My glass half full: 4 IP's & PPOR
Net cost to us = $50/week at approx 65%LVR (incl PPOR)

Ip's alone are CF +ve.

Started with nothing in 1997.

images

I call that glass full but I think if you ask Nathan, he's not quite finished yet, I think his goal was to have 100 IP's by age 30.

That's amazing! :eek: I am aiming for 4 CF+ IPs by the time I am 30. One down, three to go.

That's right, it's all about half full or half empty. If I were to assess mine

Properties: not enough
Cashflow: not enough
Equity: too high

While others who hold this portfolio may be retired already.

Cheers!

what's your situation and expectations?

Cheers!

azzae89, you may not have got the responses you expected on this thread.

Take two scenarios:

Person 1: 20 properties, $6 million equity, overall cashflow $10,000 per month, did it in 3 years

Person 2: 2 properties, $100k equity, overall cashflow $1,000 per month, did it in 10 years

Which is more impressive?

What if we added that Person 1 earns $5.2 million per year, while person 2 makes do on $50k per year?

The Y-man

....what are the exact addresses of each of your properties....

....what is your full name and address....

....what is your tax file number.....

....what is your credit card number.....

....what is your pin number.....

So he's making 200k from $10m worth of property? That's a 2 percent return. He'd be better off selling the properties and putting the cash in a term deposit and getting 4.5%, double the return and wouldn't have the nightmare of managing 73 properties.

Back