What have I done?? Joined Karate lessons!!

I'll throw in my 2c.

Find a smaller club, one that does a bit more of a general broad range of skills. Some of the smaller clubs are extreme so you want to avoid them. You really need to go and have a look see how they are training, what they teach, how many high ranking students train.

I wouldn't worry too much about the self defense for the kids, as long as they learn, get a bit fitter, gain some confidence it will help, if they really want to learn self defense they can find a teacher later on.

So I guess I'm using the same methodology as my investing, get out and do something then refine and tweak as you go once you work out what you want.

Have fun
Graeme

Update on my situation.

I rang Consumer Affairs this morning to seek advice.
So reading between the lines, I was told I have up to 6 months to 'cool off'. Cheque stopped and rang the RM to advise I was exercising my right to 'cool off'. Currently following up with letter confirming same.

We'll keep looking at alternatives.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

Hi Darren,

Try Lee's Taekwondo in the city. They have classes for grown ups, small class (4-8), Korean instructor, father and son both are black belts. (Father is 9th dan black belt).

Reasons i chose this over other local classes was the size and mix of students. My son's class has everyone in the similar age group and all of them are white / yellow belts.

I had been to another one in Windsor Gardens, and that class had over 20 students with white, yellow, red and blue belts:eek:.

All the best

Last edited:
I trained with GKR for several years when I was younger.

Pros
  1. Relatively cheap (I pay $100pcm for an extremely good BJJ/boxing/RBSD club; I have seen pure BJJ priced at $130 pcm in other cities).
  2. Good for kids due to low contact
  3. Family friendly
  4. Builds some discipline.

Cons
  1. Instructors sometimes lack good understanding of technique themselves.
  2. "Instructor's belt" hides their true rank. I was being taught by a blue at one stage when I was a green. Not impressed.
  3. Lack of practical self defence. It's better than nothing, but the school as a whole does not focus on practical self defence.
  4. People often fall into the mindset that the sensei is responsible for keeping tabs on their progress. It does not encourage them to actively seek more information and improve themselves without relying on others.

If your focus is on family friendly fun, go for it. If you want practical self defence, look elsewhere.

1080, I just noticed you're in Adelaide. If you want to check out the place I train at (and the price tag isn't too high), please do send me a PM and I'll give you the web link to the club.

It is a laid back club with practical martial arts that is great for fitness and self defence. :)

Anyone over 25 taking up a martial art has a high probability of blowing a medial mensicus, medial collateral ligament, an anterior cruciate ligament, herniating a lumbar disc, shredding a supraspinatus tendon, dislocating toes and fingers.

But, that's probably better than hanging out on the couch getting hypertension and diabetes.

i'll take the former thanks WW!!

Anyone over 25 taking up a martial art has a high probability of blowing a medial mensicus, medial collateral ligament, an anterior cruciate ligament, herniating a lumbar disc, shredding a supraspinatus tendon, dislocating toes and fingers.

All true and all good fun. Lost count of the number of broken and cracked ribs I've had over the years. Dislocated fingers? Thought they were meant to look like that.
Just focus on scoring the point, not the subsequent recovery time to get over the injury!

But, that's probably better than hanging out on the couch getting hypertension and diabetes.
Come on Winston, most over 50 males like myself don't need "M-A"
over time if you invest long enough you gain a black belt in :)"No-can-do"
it teaches you to walk away and let somone else deal with the problem..
..willair..

*coughs*

I just returned to training after having a knee reconstruction due to a torn anterior cruciate. I also have some problems with my shoulders when they get yanked on too hard, physio reckons bursitis. :(

I also suspect I fractured a rib once, it was painful to breathe, sit, stand or do anything for around a month! :eek:

I've had good luck so far with other bits and pieces - no broken toes or fingers, though a toe did go black once after being yanked sideways. :eek:
Next time I'll definitely go to a doc, in retrospect not a smart thing to say "I'll give it another day or so, if it doesn't improve I'll see a GP".

Smartest thing to do, see a doc if there's ANY doubt whatsoever about an injury. Also, provided you train smart, most of the injuries should NEVER happen. These things generally only occur when you're young and stupid, and your training parters are also young and stupid. Or training for a fight.

Edit: for the record, I'm 27 at the time of posting. :(

Edit 2: The club practices BJJ, modified boxing based on Rodney "Chico" King's Crazy Monkey and RBSD based largely on Jim Wagner's instruction.

Last edited:
I'm currently a 3rd Dan Black Belt in ITF Taekwon-do, it's the more traditional style of Taekwon-do which focuses on the science of the movement and the applications. - check it out here - http://www.itftaekwondo.com

As well as all the athletic arial and spinning kicking that Taekwondo is known for!

I started it when I was about 10 years old and I personally think it has defined me as a person, made me much more confident, fit, compassionate etc. etc.. I think it has attributed to many of my personality traits and success in my career and business!

I would encourage anyone looking for something different out of their every day life to give martial arts a go! Especially young kids.

Try and steer clear of the 'franchise building' type clubs, they have turned Martial Arts into Martial Business !

Come on Winston, most over 50 males like myself don't need "M-A"
over time if you invest long enough you gain a black belt in :)"No-can-do"
..willair..

Yeah agree with you and Propertunity.

Though I still have occasional adrenalin surges that sees me sticking my neck out, chastising kids for swearing in front of young families, littering the streets, breaking bottles in public domains, damaging public property.

Staying silent is a form of social consent to the ever growing level of maladaptive behaviour by many.

Though I wonder if I should be so concerned when the police and courts aren't.

What the?:eek:
Think I've suffered enough injuries in obtaining my black belt in origami.

..willair..

The exact reason I want my son to do it - character building.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

Back