What is required to have a builders license in Vic?

Hi all,

Basically as the title suggests. I, for some reason, cant find the list of requirements for a builders license in Victoria.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Cheers

Ben

Cert 4 in building I think is still the requirement then after that you need to submit a rather in depth application to the building commission and go through interviews, testing etc b4 the board will grant u registration. Some RTOs offer short building registration application prep courses- a course like this can be very worthwhile. What u need to do at tafe and 4 application process is also dependent on what level of registration u r seeking. Building commission can send u an info kit.

Eve

A cert IV in building from Holmeslgen is only $3,500 - really cheap

That's only one component. A trade background or further education (uni degree) is ideal. Having a project or two completed is a must - at a minimum. If you don't meet these requirements then it would be a total waste of time and money attending the course. Then it depends on which type of registration you apply for (it's not a licence rather a registration). DBU or DBM.

Then you need to submit a monster application to the Building Commission, sit through a test and have a face-to-face interview. Most get knocked back.

i'm doing it for interest's sake rather than to be a builder

Don't bother if that's the case. It's purely to get you ready for registration. You learn bugger all and most institutions are very bad. You would be better off spending time going to sites with someone that is a builder/developer.

I got mine with Certificate 4 in Building, Certificate 3 in Carpentry plus 2 years supervising for a builder.

If you get diploma in building then you don't need a trade.

Have a look intro HIA and MBA they are giving away certificate 4s for couple of months of tafe.

In NSW Fair Trading in controlling and issuing licenses.

Being a builder is the worst job in Australia.

Tafe teaches you 10% about building game, everything else you learn on your own mistakes.

There is a shortage of builders and government is just letting it go and people are getting their licences with very small knowledge, i met many 'builders' that hardly know what BCA is and they cant use computers.

Thanks guys.

Is a DB - M worth it? Is there a point in getting a builders license for management of a site if you need other people with builders licenses to carry out the work? Would you end up saving money on a job or would they just charge it on anyway?

Cheers

Ben

Hi Guys,

I decided to jump through all the hoops about 5 yrs ago. Bloody hard slog to get it but well worth it now! One thing i would suggest is that if you're going to go to all the trouble of getting registered that you go for a DB-U license. There isn't too much extra involved with the application and then you've got no limits on your license, as long as it's residential you are only limited by how much warranty insurance you can get.

My application was about a foot thick and then i had a fun little 1 on 1 interview with an assessor that went for 4 hrs so not something i'd like to repeat but i guess it weeds out the guys that aren't up to it.

Good luck!!

Morty

Morty what kind of experience did you have?

I keep getting told you need 3 years on the tools experience, but I know of engineers and the like that have a builders license who have never been on the tools so not sure how they got it?

Well building is much more than just tradies skills - engineers and other professions also come onboard during the construction process so all have skills that can be used as a builder.

Hi Belu,

I'm a chippy by trade so i've had plenty of onsite experience. This isn't a prerequisite however and all applications are on a case by case situation.

There are a lot of stories and miss-information surrounding becoming registered ie courses to do etc. You are best to get in touch with the building commission directly to find out what is required.

I actually did a 1 day course with my old TAFE teacher which was simply him outlining exactly what was required in order to become registered. This cut through all the BS and layed out a plan as to how to get there. I think i paid a couple of 100 dollars to do the course but this also included the books etc that i needed for the study.

Some of the requirements off the top of my head were a business plan, a fully costed out job (from a set of working drawings) an oh&s plan along with the interview. This is skimming over it however as it was really a massive application.

It is near on pointless in having a license though if you don't have warranty insurance so this needs to be applied for prior to getting registered. Basically the amount of insurance you get per yr determines the amount of jobs $ wise you can take on.

Hope this helps

Morty

Thanks guys.

Is a DB - M worth it? Is there a point in getting a builders license for management of a site if you need other people with builders licenses to carry out the work? Would you end up saving money on a job or would they just charge it on anyway?

Cheers

Ben

It's not a must to have registered people to do the work. Make sure you seek your information from people who know the system. I can tell you now you will get many versions.
If you haven't got a trade behind you it will be highly unlikely you will get a DBU. If you go for a DBU you don't get offered a DBM if you were close as was the case before. As you don't have a trade background, if you haven't completed developments or supervised jobs etc you will be wasting your time with the process. They will see right through you in the face to face interview. You can lie about developments completed (as quite a few do) but I would not recommend it.

You can always upgrade from DBM to DBU after a year or two of active building. Also, there is a difference in assessment for the DBU and DBM registration. Safer to go for DBM.

They are currently interested in having registered builders with a business background as a lot of builders go bankrupt. No point (in the building commissions eyes) having tyhe best chippie running a building business if they can't run the business/paperwork side of things.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys, sorry to dig up an old thread, thought it to be better than starting another.

Just wanted to see if the information in this thread is still up to date, or if things have changed drastically? I'm looking at a change of career and would love to be in this field, however I'm not sure where to start.

First thing I wanted to know, a couple of people in here mentioned working as a supervisor for a builder to gain experience before lodging their own application, how does one go about finding work like this? Or is this a job reserved for a chippy thats worked under the builder for a while already?

My background is as a boilermaker, and actually for 6 months of this year, my only work was steel erection and installation of steel on new houses and high end residential developments and renovations. During that time, many brains were picked, and although this doesn't give me even 5% of what I need to know, it has shown me that it's not something that's out of my scope in terms of capabilities, and I've decided it's a job I can see myself enjoying.

Do I stand a chance? Cheers,
Ben

Hi guys, sorry to dig up an old thread, thought it to be better than starting another.

Just wanted to see if the information in this thread is still up to date, or if things have changed drastically? I'm looking at a change of career and would love to be in this field, however I'm not sure where to start.

First thing I wanted to know, a couple of people in here mentioned working as a supervisor for a builder to gain experience before lodging their own application, how does one go about finding work like this? Or is this a job reserved for a chippy thats worked under the builder for a while already?

My background is as a boilermaker, and actually for 6 months of this year, my only work was steel erection and installation of steel on new houses and high end residential developments and renovations. During that time, many brains were picked, and although this doesn't give me even 5% of what I need to know, it has shown me that it's not something that's out of my scope in terms of capabilities, and I've decided it's a job I can see myself enjoying.

Do I stand a chance? Cheers,
Ben

Hi Ben, I will provide my 2 cents worth.

As you will see, I run a SMSF business, however, have been developing as a owner/ builder for a number of years. Like any business or any broker will tell you here it comes down to referrals or reputation with building. You need a name and need a reputation to get a job. Otherwise, you may be stuff desperately wasting time quoting jobs to try to get a big win....and stuff up the quote, believe me, its a struggle.

Best to try to build the networks, through communities. An example is a family member, he is a CPA, quit as a CFO of a large property developer and leveraged off the networks of another family member who was retiring, completed a couple of developments and the referrals came through. With reputation your margins will improve. With no reputation, you have no referral and like any job, you will become desperate for the 'win'.

Back yourself in, it will take time, but if you feel its right, and you know the industry you will succeed.

Ben, I would suggest contacting the Vic Master Builders Association training and development bods. They will be able to advise on training paths that are open to you.

I got my qualifications many years ago, no trade but I never aspired to be hands on at site level.

With a background in boiler making you have got a foot in the door already.

If you intend doing residential work then you will require home warranty insurance but you can't effect insurance until you have a builder's licence and you take it out on a site by site basis - client cost.

(based on NSW).

Back