What is the Stamp Duty when transferring to Trust?

Hi guys,

I am interested in setting up a Discretionary Trust (Family Trust) to hold my investment property. This property is currently in my name, but I would like to transfer it to my Trust (so that the trust owns it instead).

What would be the stamp duty (or other transfer costs) I have to pay for this change-of-title transaction? If you could provide a link to a government website that would be excellent also.

In addition to that, would the same apply if I were transferring stocks (shares, options...etc) from my name to the trust? Would I have to pay a stamp duty or any title-transfer costs for that too?

(Sorry if this has been repeated before, I searched but couldn't find the information. So if you know anything it would be greatly appreciated!).

Many thanks!

Is this worth doing?

I have a trust and building a house in my name. Further down the line I was thinking of transferring it over but not sure if its worth the cost.

Is this worth doing?

I have a trust and building a house in my name. Further down the line I was thinking of transferring it over but not sure if its worth the cost.

The answer Cain, is it depends on what you are trying to achieve with a trust.

Long story short, the jury is still out. You can read the many 1,000's of psts both for and against by doing a search in the forums here on trust, trusts, HDT, hybrid trusts. Make yourself a cuppa or grab a bottle of something, you'll be in for a long night :D

Back