What is your excuse to use personal leave?

Hi All,

For those of you who is an employee, what is your excuse to use personal leave?

Some popular excuses:
1. Sick.
2. Babysitting.
3. Car broke down.

Anything else? :D

I don't use it very often at all.
The only time I really did use it was when my Mum was in hospital and I stayed with her.
Apart from that, I enjoy being healthy and competent.

My company is pretty flexible, but I never use them unless needed
  1. I'm sick (or when need a mental health day)
  2. Family member sick
  3. My super adorable puppy is really sick, so I leave slightly earlier
  4. Family member passed away (never used this one and hopefully not for a long time).

I never use personal leave for anything other than actually being sick. Unfortunately I seem to catch every bug going around so I do use it a lot :( I would dearly love to use much less of it!

Reactions: neK
In the three years I've worked for my employer I have taken a total of two days off (16 hrs) - my 'excuse' was that I was sick with the flu... because I was sick with the flu. Doc's cert was provided. Lucky for me I hardly ever get sick.

Despite the many threads/posts to the contrary on this site, there actually are some of us employees out there who are not bludging 'takers' and have pride, not only in ourselves, but the businesses/organisations we work for.

There are some work places where if you turn up with a communicable disease, like a cold they send you straight home. Rather have one person off work than ten!

Lucky for me I hardly ever get sick.
Same,touch wood

Despite the many threads/posts to the contrary on this site, there actually are some of us employees out there who are not bludging 'takers' and have pride, not only in ourselves, but the businesses/organisations we work for.I agree,though are businesses/organisations that will try to cost cut anyway they can and try to work you into the grave,forget about OH&S,until something happens

The only time i've had off bar holidays pre-2014 was to attend a family members funeral.

This year though took 2 weeks stress leave due to work wanting me to do the work of 3 people.

Even then,i still had phone calls,asking if i could do a few hours.Even wanted me to attend a meeting.

Things didn't improve work wise,they tried the trump card,so i went on work cover.

Holidays i have to book 12months in advance and that's 2weeks including PH's.

A few weeks ago i took a day off to help a mate move,gave them a days notice to find a replacement and was still called up to see if i could do few hours :rolleyes:

They also tried to over load me again with work only last week,state manager fixed things;)

In my employment I have the ability to make up time to use for those issues that arise which are not covered by sick leave.

So I can take "personal" days (3 per year), but make up the hours.
Marg

I never use personal leave for anything other than actually being sick. Unfortunately I seem to catch every bug going around so I do use it a lot :( I would dearly love to use much less of it!

I daresay most people on this forum fit this criteria. There is a certain level of respect/dedication/understanding/appreciation. Its not the company thats being screwed over when a person chucks a sickie, but rather your colleagues and the end customer.

Best to go to another forum if you're after an excuse to pull one over your boss.

There are some work places where if you turn up with a communicable disease, like a cold they send you straight home. Rather have one person off work than ten!

Yep - I don't want my whole team getting sick. One of the interesting things about my mob is that they are so dedicated that unless they can't crawl out of bed, they front up!

The Y-man

I was given a speech when I started with my current employer that employees who never take sick days are a risk because they attend work sick. Risking other workers lives with their incapacitated state to perform their duties. Even had to sign that if I was sick, fatigued, under the influence of d or a I would not attend work. So if your sick stay home. And for those people who spruik that they never have sick days, your not awesome your risking other people's lives.

Admittedly I was that person a couple of times but soon realised I was doing myself more harm than good as I also learnt a day of bed rest would do me the world of good and I would recover a lot quicker.

Another thing of my old employer is if your Dr's cert had XX date on it and you came back before then they would send you home until that date had passed.

Back