What I've learned!!

Hi all,

Having been laughing at myself constantly the past few weeks thinking about how my lingo has changed since I started a reno (remember my reno topic name - "Jen's can't change a lightbulb reno") - still can't by the way ;) ......

But, 3 months ago, you could not have drug me into a Bunnings - just not interested, nothing more boring in my mind - yet NOW, I'll wander the aisles over and over while Geoff is trying return (yet again!) another thing we bought wrong - looking for a bargain or ideas to solve yet another dilema!!

So, the top 25 words I now use constantly that 3 months ago I didn't even know what they meant!! (not kidding by the way - I'm only including words that had absolutely no meaning to me 3 months ago and I've used at least 3 times in past week!!)....

MDF
Flatpax
Sugar Soap
Angle grinder
Gyprock
Render
Limestone over render
Dynabolts
Door Jam
DIY
Structural wall/beam
Grout
Ceramic
Porcelin
Cement Sheeting
Vinyl
Underlay
Jigsaw
Circular saw
Melamine
Laminex
AC sheets
Plasterboard
No Gaps
Levelling

I'm sure you all have even better learning experiences!! By the way - can't wait to start on the next one! :D

Share please!

Cheers,
Jen

Hi Jen, I just love reading your "can't change a light-bulb" thread. I'm just starting The Beach House reno, and am learning so much from you. Bunnings is now one of my fav shops, even if I don't know what all those little bibs and bobs do in the shelves!:cool:

I can change a light-bulb (just), but can't hammer a nail or put in a screw straight...they always seem to go in at an angle for me!:(

Presently, I'm knocking down a timber wall between the old 2nd bed and the kitchen...soon to become the open plan kitchen-dining room. Finding out stuff about "supporting walls", "joists", "beams", and those vertical bits of wood they put in the walls every 2 feet with little cross sections.

I've found the builder (cousin) and house lifter are very tolerant of my descriptions which have no bearing on the techo names for things. (I'd be lost without my digital camera and a sketch pad.) Tis such an interesting journey this reno business. Last week I learned about metal fascias...see, I can even spell correctly it now!:D

Hi Sailor...............

"and those vertical bits of wood they put in the walls every 2 feet with little cross sections".

Studs (Vertical), nogging (horizontal), crossbracing (diagonal)

If you buy a basic owner building book it will generally have well illustrated and labelled diagrammes that you can refer to...........

Unfortunately a lot of tradies forget the level of a homeowners understanding. If in doubt or you do not understand always ask. A good tradesman will generally always take to the time to explain, mostly out of fear of not getting the next cup of coffe or tea made for them...........:D

ciao

Nor

Jen you've come a long way, congratulations.

But seriously, you didn't know what DIY meant? You really have come a long way.

BTW, do you use a left or right handed screwdriver when you're screwing in a clockwise direction? :)

PTB,

You're joking right.........:confused:

Everyman and his dog should know that clockwise is righthand........

Haven't you seen them in Bunnings or Mitre rip off next to the lefthanded ones.........you could probably check out 'em out properly the next time you're getting that long *weight* that you never asked for.........

ciao

Nor

JenD, I had to laugh at your post as Im going through the same thing with my latest IP. I've been to the hardware store everyday for the past 10 days {lucky its close by!}. I generally get the same sales guy to help me and we have had a lot of laughs over my description of things that I need {this guy is very knowledgeable in clueless womens language}
Yesterday, I was wandering the aisles and a young guy ask if I was looking for anything in particular. I said ''no, but Im sure I'll find something I didnt know I needed!"......
My gold stars go to no more gaps and sugar soap {has to be the best cleaner ever made}. If my husband has a gap filler gun in his hands, he's not happy until its empty, and that means yet another trip to the hardware store!

Last edited:
JenD

Thanks again for posting your reno adventures in such detail - great! I'm about to embark on my first reno on an IP and will meet with builders, garage door people, bathroom enamelers (spp??) on Monday so I'm looking forward to learning the lingo myself. I sure will get back to your lightbulb thread for info & encouragement although most of our reno will take place outside as that's where we can add the value. Trying to stay away from Bunnings though as that place is just way too big (I'm a Mitre10 kind of girl;) ... but I'm sure it'll suck me in eventually!

Cheers

kaf

Do studs hold up supporting beams?
And what is the purpose of a noggin?

I need to know as I've already knocked out a few noggins, and intend starting on the studs tomorrow!

I need to know as I've already knocked out a few noggins, and intend starting on the studs tomorrow!

Oooh Sailor- this is just too good to resist replying to!!! :D

Yes I've had a few studs holding up my beams on occasion, though I do prefer the younger shirtless ones who have visible six packs :D

As far as I know a noggin is a lethal drink- cross between an egg nog with gin thrown in for extra punch :D

If you're going to start on the studs, you may want to knock back a few noggins first for sheer bravery :D

Sorry, but I couldn't help myself!!!
Thanks for the laugh!!!

Yes I've had a few studs holding up my beams on occasion, though I do prefer the younger shirtless ones who have visible six packs :D

As far as I know a noggin is a lethal drink- cross between an egg nog with gin thrown in for extra punch :D

If you're going to start on the studs, you may want to knock back a few noggins first for sheer bravery :D

Thanks for the laugh!!!

hehehehe

now who is it that has had dutch courage;)

Here is a link to the construction of a stud wall

http://www.thediyworld.co.uk/stud_partitions.html

Basiclly the noggin in conjunction with the bracing gives horizontal stability to the wall. They also ensure that the studs don't warp and when gyprocking help give stability to the join between the sheets as the join should end up around where the noggins are.

Cheers

Thanks for the laugh!!!
Jacque, congrats on giving me the first laugh for my day...I've only been up 20 mins, so that's pretty good!:D

Sailor
If there is a new wall being put in somewhere else - make sure the builder actually does line up the noggins where the sheet of gyprock ends. We had a dodgy builder build a wall for us and the idiot didn't think about this and we got there after he had left. Very frustrating for the plasterer and expensive for us!
cheers
amanda

Thanks Amanda...my cousin is the builder, and he's pretty good, but good learning for me just the same. All tips most welcome. Love learning!

Hi Sailor
The studs run between the top and bottom wall plate (mostly). On external walls the top plate provides support for other timber roof members such as roof trusses, rafters/jack joists, hanging beams etc.
In internal walls the set up is the similar but is not always load bearing so if you are removing the studs permanently you may need to check to see if it is load bearing. You may need to install a hanging beam in the roof cavity to cleat the ceiling joist to in order to provide support from above. I am sure you will have someone on your team that can let you know anyhow.

The purpose of noggings has already been defined so I'll refrain.

And lizzie, I had to laugh when I saw your love affair with no more gaps. One of our painters calls it 'no more carpenters'.....

Sounds like fun!:D

"And lizzie, I had to laugh when I saw your love affair with no more gaps. One of our painters calls it 'no more carpenters'....."

and my plumber calls it 'no more skill'....

Lindy

Much appreciated Julie...I'm learning faster than I can paddle!:D ...up the proverbial that is.

Fortunately the builder popped in today, and I can go for it up to the top plates between the kit/dining rooms....then tis his domain. I did however feel a wee bit smarter in being able to discuss studs, beams, and noggins...and not so much of a numpty! (Thank you all.) I've been banned from touching anything but wall cladding between the dining and lounge...yep that wall is going too.

Jen you've come a long way, congratulations.

But seriously, you didn't know what DIY meant? You really have come a long way.

BTW, do you use a left or right handed screwdriver when you're screwing in a clockwise direction? :)

You overestimate me :D ;)

DIY - one of my favorite words now, just another acronym 4 months ago...

So - I've always learned "tighty righty" "lefty loosey" (right = clockwise = tighter) - this has worked wonders for me over the past 20 years - however - and for legs under the kitchen - it's the opposite!! I would "guess" right turn tightens the leg, and brings the cabinet down - but NO! - Bunnings style is exactly opposite! I had a few cabinets floating on one leg before I worked that one out :D

And, my latest trick - learning to use a drill! I screwed all our internal wardrobes together - just need the right pressure ;)

Cheers,
Jen

Back