What lessons have you learned doing your first reno?

If your works are likely to affect your neighbours in any way - noise, traffic, dust, etc - then make sure you've met them and explained what you're doing before you start, and try to keep them on side.
My neighbours at the house we are renovating are also renovating, and they have more power tools than we do :) Seems like a nice enough bloke, but he hit our verandah gutters with his caravan (you know a house needs renovating when you have to bring a caravan so you have somewhere to stay while doing it) and then wandered in our *back* door to tell us he'd fix it ...

He paid more for his house, several years before we bought ours, and it is not only a smaller house in worse condition it is also on a block 1/3 the size :cool:

Time frame, definately always gets stretched almost double if u do work yourself, lol i expected kitchen to be done in one week, now its into its 3rd week and i still havent painted it yet.

Shopping around and planning, definately need to do more of these, i had massive problems trying to fit secondhand sink into new kitchen cause it was too big for bench lol so i had to wait like a week to find new one that fits (secondhandly) definately works good kitchen reno all comes to under 1500 all labour cost saved as i do work myself (this kitchen would easily run into 3s-5s if i got it done professionally. refer to above time frame!!!

also beer NOT ENOUGH BEER!!! lol
and good tennants that puts up with u coming around everyday to work while they are away. thumbs up

RumpledElf RumpledElf \ LOL no wonder why u moved to Jtown must be massive bargin property!!!

My experience.

Don't attempt any "finishing" job, like rendering, plastering and tiling and expect a top job. These guys have been doing it for years, and since the finish is so visible, it's important to get it right.

Clean up after yourself regularly if the surface below you is finished. I;e decks, pavers, tiles, already finished floorboards etc. It's amazing how difficult and annoying cleanup is on your good surfaces after the paint/cement/mortar etc has dried.

Try and forsee everything you need before you start the job. It's bloody annoying that you have to make the 3rd trip to bunnings that day because you forgot do buy (Insert any doodad) or run out of nails or screws. Also, make sure you budget for these things as part of the job. Most people simply look at the cost of the big ticket items, forgetting it's often the small things that add significant extra cost.

Take your time when measuring and cutting even if you don't have much time to do the job. A sh*t job stays for life, but the extra hour it takes to measure and cut properly will be forgotten 5 minutes after you crack the first beer.

And make sure you always have a cold beer handy at the end of the day!. :) :D.

Here are a couple of things we have learnt.

* When ripping out old bathrooms/kitchens don't throw everything out. We have found that to replace new towel racks and toilet roll holders are EXPENSIVE, especially since there is nothing wrong with the others just a little out dated.

* Time. I know every one has said this, but things really do take so much longer, especially with kids!

* when grouting, we no longer wipe down with water to remove excess, we wait until it's nearly dry and scrape it off with a plastic scraper (so it doesn't scratch) and vacume
It's no where near as messy as water and sponges

Learnings;525553 Alot of people say things along the lines of "I learned so much on my first reno!" but dont say what they've learned:)[/QUOTE said:
After nearly 13 house reno's by myself, encompassing nearly everything from replacing roofs, tiling, painting, building rooms/carports/decks/gazebo's etc..., beginning with no experience and just practical common sense, my reponse would be:

It really isn't that hard! :) But, I'm lucky in the sense that whilst many academics are discussing how it can't be possible, I will have already completed the job.

I had the attitude of "How hard could this be?" Then, I researched and asked questions and began by doing jobs which if I stuffed up, I would need to get someone in anyway, so nothing ventured, nothing gained etc...

Reverse engineering has been a Godsend too. Seeing how the Pro's have done it, and copying.

"No more Gaps" is an absolute must have item!! :D

Look into doing some of the easier jobs, for the hardest part, is taking that first step.

Back