What property "experts" do you rate?

And which ones don't you rate? Feel free to rank them. Feel free to mention any I have missed. Some experts:

Michael Yardney
Stuart Wemyss
Steve McKnight
Jan Somers
Ann Somers
Peter Span
John Fitzgerald
Margaret Lomas
Paul Geizekamp
Mark Rolton
Dr Tony Hayek
Chris Grey
Dymnphna Boholt
Rick Otton
Carly Crutchfield

We know that some of these experts are not everyone's cup of tea and whilst some may have a -ve experience, others may have a +ve experience. Don't be afraid to honestly say what you think.

Last edited:
I haven't had first hand experience with any of the people on your list. However, I have read many of their books. My approach has been the buy and hold, accordingly, I have found the books by Jan Somers, Stuart Wemyss, Michael Yardney, Margaret Lomas and John Fitzgerald to be interesting and useful.

Steve McKnight is more of a property trader (nothing wrong with this).

I like Jan's approach as she has invested over many property cycles and her books are filled with commonsense as well as well thought through tactics. She believes the buy and hold approach has always worked, and will always work over time. (It is a slow, and some would argue, laborious way to build wealth).

Regards Jason.

Few years back I read John Fitzgerald because I got this for free :)
I'm not a reader type but I thought it was an easy & clear to read. As someone said before "take the message but not their deals".

I read and listen Michael Yardney's message. I enjoy his +veness but it always ends with some sort of marketing at the end.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to how much we know about the local market. I think, for an average mum or dad, it is lot easier and less riskier to go with a good local buyers agent when it comes to buying an IP.

My pick of the bunch is Steve McKnight. I haven't been to any of his meetings just his books.

I checked out Mark Rolton's free dvd a long time ago and never went ahead with it, something just didn't click about him.

I like Rick Otton's stuff but found the practical application to difficult to apply. This is mainly due to people being suck to the same way of selling real estate.

Carly Crutchfield has great content but just like Rick is difficult to apply in real world situations. Like most things in life, great in theory!

Agreed - none of them. It's pretty straightforward all their strategies (having read people's comments here).

There are heaps of successful property owners out there with estates around the world who don't write books.

Another one for your list, Chris Gray. I haven't read anything by him but he had built a $million+ portfolio by his early thirties.

I've seen him on Sky Business channel and he seems to know what he is talking about.

I also really like Margaret Lomas as she has debunked many myths for me such as houses will have better capital growth due to the higher land component (myth) and she also introduced me to the concept of buying for positive cashflow many years back.

Paul Geizekamp
Mark Rolton
Dr Tony Hayek etc

I know of all on the list except for the above 3. Who are they? Dymnphna Boholt should be included on the list.

I have used John Fitzgerald and Jan Somers' principles when investing as they suit my personality and life style. Over the years I have just bought, held and not worried about what is happening in the economy.

I know of all on the list except for the above 3. Who are they?
All spruikers

Geizekamp - buy block on outskirts of city and sub divide
Dr Hayek - Off the plan. Once headed up Pulse Property. He's pretty good and a nice guy, but I shy away from off the plan, spruikers, and anyone whose advice is "buy my stock".
Mark Rolton - property options. This guy is a snakeskin salesman.

Paul Do's 'I buy houses' - Sydney based, negative cash flow bias. Not a spruiker. Definitely the best one I have read. Followed some of his principles but it is early days for us as IP investors so can't say whether or not his approach will make us rich:).
Cheers Ali

Difference between profile and expertise. All of these people have achieved marketing success of a high level, some might also be good at other things :)

I vote for Jan Somers! Also enjoyed Stuart's & Peter's books a lot.

I dont rate any beside the Somers. The rest arent property experts but spruikers, marketers and information product sellers.

There is no such thing as a property guru, the same information is available to everyone. The only difference is taking action.

Generally, we only think some of these investors are gurus because they wrote a book.

Met one of mum's friends the other day who has estates around London, Manhattan, HK, Shanghai, Syd, Melb, Gold Coast etc. I wonder if she wrote a book if she'd show up here. But rather than writing books she spends most of her time on board luxury cruises and shopping for pink and champagne diamonds.

And which ones don't you rate? Feel free to rank them. Feel free to mention any I have missed.

Some more:

Terry Ryder
Phil Jones (NZ - Richmastery)
Monique (Sasson) Wakelin
Anita Bell
Michael Matusik
Dolf De Roos
Nathan Birch
Kevin (Sampy) Young (Investors 'Club')
Steve Navra

You also have your Noel Whittakers/Paul Clitheroes/Daryl Dixons/Scott Papes but they're more shares or super.

I agree that reading their books may provide a purer version of their approach than using their services.

And which ones don't you rate? Feel free to rank them. Feel free to mention any I have missed. Some experts:

Michael Yardney
Stuart Wemyss
Steve McKnight
Jan Somers
Ann Somers
Peter Span
John Fitzgerald
Margaret Lomas
Paul Geizekamp
Mark Rolton
Dr Tony Hayek
Chris Grey
Dymnphna Boholt
Rick Otton
Carly Crutchfield

We know that some of these experts are not everyone's cup of tea and whilst some may have a -ve experience, others may have a +ve experience. Don't be afraid to honestly say what you think.

Henry Kaye!! I got sucked into one of his $3500 courses.. Did he go to jail? I was overseas travelling when all the court stuff was going on.

I've got to say that Margaret Lomas's smile really annoys me. I haven't seen her TV show but I'm guessing she talks through her teeth. Never understood the school of thought that teaches TV women they must smile at all times especially when talking. It's fake and looks ridiculous.

She seems okay at property though.

I like Yardney the best but his spruiking is a bit off putting. His strategy is sound (although very standard stuff) and his growth suburb tips are usually on the money.

I don't mind Margaret Lomas - when starting out, I enjoyed her books and I don't mind watching her show if I manage to catch it.

I don't agree with her thoughts on property financing though - she's a big advocate of cross coll.

Cheers

Jamie

I just read Margaret Lomas's most recent book. She had a fair old whack at Yardney and particularly got stuck into Chan and Naylor. Anyone who is offering a mentoring program for $15k realy needs to physically find good properties for the client to buy. And Chan and Naylor - I've met a lot of people who have used them and have never heard anything positive.

Back