what should go into a vendor terms contract

Hi
I have searched past discussions but unable to find some answers.
I am purchasing the house and 8 acres, that I am currently renting, from the owners. They have agreed to vendor terms for 3 years then I will have to refinance.
This is the first house I have bought and the first house they have subdivided off their farm so we are both in new territory.
I am using $25 000 deposit, total price is $105 000.
What should I aim for in the contract? What would be an acceptable interst rate and repayment plan?
Cheers Ponyfire

ponyfire,
imho,
if you have that sort of deposit 25k,and the vendors want 105k why not
cut your offer back to 95k and find your money from someone else to pay the vendors out,if you have the capacity to set up the contract yourself then you are in control from day one,just one question is the subdivide up to legal requirements,thats the only question i would want to know up front..
good luck
willair..

Hi,

I agree with that kind of LVR ratio surely some broker will be able to help source a more conventional loan? even an 80% LVR should help?

However if you circumstances for whatever reason means you are unable to obtain such finance may I suggest you ensure;

1) The contract gives you full rights of possession so that;

a) You qualify for the FHOG under section 13.
b) You are deemed the owner of the property under section 26 of the Land Tax act - this way the vendor does not need to pay land tax and you as a PPOR get the discount too.

Now if this is a one off deal for the vendor - i.e. they are not in the business of providing vendor finance, then they may not be deemed to be a credit provider, however if they plan to do others, make sure their contract complies with the Credit Code.

However, the Credit Code makes good financial sense, so its worth checking the following points anyway.

c) Ensure the contract complies with the Uniform Consumer Credit Code (go to www.creditcode.gov.au) to see what is required.
d) Since it is a loan for personal use (I assume) ensure the contract includes the appropriate "Things you must know" forms which make up the UCCC requirements.
e) Ensure the contract specifies what the benchmark interest rate will be - and how you will be notified when it changes
f) Ensure the contract clearly indicates what will occur in the case of default - if it is UCCC compliant then this is straight forward - but if it is a private arrangement then you should specify this process clearly - i.e. how many days to you have to fix up the problem etc.
g) Are there any penalties for paying lump sums, early payout, late payments, administration fees, account keeping fees, all the sorts of charges standard lenders have, see what you contract will have.
h) How will interest be calculated, will it be calculated daily compounded monthly?
i) How will you be informed of your balance - will you be issued statements?
j) What about water rates, council rates, insurance - how will these be paid?
k) repairs - who does this?
l) like standard lenders are you obligated to inform the vendor when the property is leased - when renovations are done - what other conditions must be abided by to ensure no default occurs.
m) what happens if you go bankrupt, or whatever?
l) What about income protection - have you consider this to cover your payments if your injured - what about life insurance to over the outstanding debt if the worst happens? (actually probably makes sense for any borrower)

All this should be discussed with your legal advisor - by the way - don't waste money with any solicitor - make sure you interview them and find out that they KNOW about vendor terms contracts. If they dont have the experience you're wasting your time and money with them.

Regards
Michael G

Lewis O'Brien in Vicotria reportedly know his stuff regarding wraps and therefore should be able to put together a balanced vendor terms contract.

His contact details were mentioned recently in this thread .

Thankyou people
Having started my own business and being a centrelink recipient with 4 kids it is difficult to qualify for finance.
This is the first time the vendor has done this, they are strictly farmers.
I cannot offer a lower price, mine was well under their price anyway.
However it has been suggested I consider a 2nd mortgage by the vendor to cover the shortfall of a loan. As I see it this will mean extra money to be paid out in mortgage establishment fees. We will still need a solictor to draw up the contract too, as there is no agent involved.
What do you see as the pros and cons of vendor financing as opposed to them holding a small 2nd mortgage only?
Many thanks for the prompt and detailed replies.
Cheers from a bleary eyed Ponyfire

Hi Alistair
A lo-doc loan is out because it is a rural property and they have a very high LVR for those. If you know any different please let me know.
Cheers Ponyfire

Pony,

Just a quick one for you, are you saying you will only re-finance after 3 years ? or WITHIN 3 years ?? You may find that after 12 months of payment records you should be fine....

Interest rate - should not be more that 3% above home loan rates from banks......

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott
refinance after 3 years. do you think it would be better to have a 2nd mortgage held by the vendors to cover the shortfall of a traditional loan or go with the vendor finance and avoid the fees for the present time?
Cheers Ponyfire

Back