What structure to use??

Rixter said:
On the surface it appears to me as if you don't have any set investment plan in place, & you're also without a set time frame for why it is you are investing in the first instance.

Rixter,

I definately know why i want to invest, and i have a rough idea about a timeline (i am flexible though as im young), but as for my strategy you are right in saying that i dont have a set investment plan. I have read up on many strategies and am planning on utilising a mixture of them in my own way, the only issue which im still tossing and turning about at present is the exact type of property and location. In the "bigger picture" the type probably doesn't matter that much as long as the strategy is sound.

I thank you for your posts so far on your strategy.

The reason for my questions so far have been for me to get my head around some of the finer points about your property selection so that i can solidify my strategy. It has given me food for though :)

Cheers

Leandro said:
I would imagine that this is the case because the townhouses/villas you have bought are new. I lived in apartments when i was younger with my parents for most of my life. They were older apartment buildings 15+ years, small lots, 6-12, strata titles. There was always troubles, as things start breaking/wearing down (shower bases start leaking, window sashes that need replacing, balcony doors that no longer roll, etc) and all owners have to chip in.

I guess though, by the time you reach this situation Rixter, your capital gains should outweigh these costs. :)

Apartments don't have to be old for things to start breaking down. You could just be unlucky like I was. My PPOR is an apartment only 7 years old and for years we have been having problems due to poor workmanship.

We had to have the driveway re-asphalted and every single balcony edge retiled and repaired because the builder did a crappy job in the first place. A lot of this was covered under Home Owners Warranty but we now have some situations that we will have to pay for. Being the secretary I see the work orders go through and we have one a week for something going wrong.

I agree that being new or near new absolutely may mean that you have less hassles but it doesn't guarantee that you won't. Perhaps it's just me...I might be unlucky!! I have to say I've decided that I am no longer renting my property out when I buy my next PPOR. Apart from the fact that it has really reached it's peak (and I will need the equity), I am so over the hassles. :(

Back