What to buy....

Hello,

As I wander through RE.com looking at finding PI, I keep asking myself what do people want?? What will they be looking at in renting in the future? I looking for something to invest in and am trying to predict/foresee what renters want in the future..

I have seen aged care facility that are one bedroom being sold that I wonder if maybe it would be worthwhile investing in them.. they are in a facility environment so all the body corporate fees and whatnot are claimable, old folks do not party or make trouble.. Most are entitled for centrelink accommodate rebate so paying would not be a problem.. And there will alway be old people out there trying to get accommodation because of baby boomers!!!! Not everyone saved for a rainyday but lived for today and let tomorrow worry about tomorrow!

Then I look at new trendy villa/house on small block with only a very small backyard and think maybe that the way to go.. I was looking in places like North Lakes, north of brisbane for example.. small yards but lovely gardens/parks around that not having a big backyard would be a problem. There is alot of young career couples around looking at renting and wanting a no fuss place and no garden dramas but to have a park handy the lads can go and play footy, kids can run amok.. Creche facility handy.. I wonder if I should target this sort of renter..

Or do you look at the older type homes.. I have a thing that it has to be brick (darwin conditioining) and preferable groundlevel and do it up so that when all these renters get sick of living in boxes with no yard, they might like that house with some backyard to kick a ball around.. Most of the older homes have "proper" kitchens.. Some of these new homes being build in the new estates do not appear to have a sufficient kitchens... Maybe the sort of income folks are earning allows them to not have to worry about a proper kitchen.

I suppose like the rest of you, I want to buy something that will attract someone who wants to live in it for a long period of time, look after it like theirs, and still make some momey along the way..

Just for some history, I own a unit in Darwin which is my home. I got a loan and purchased a nice small house in Petre ito live in March 2010 when I retired early to look after my elderly Mum's with the intention of moving to Brisbane but this had not happened yet so the place has been rented out.

My long time plan was alway to retire at 60 but family and life predicted I retired early which I am fine about and was lucky I could tap into my superfund but I do feel cheated somewhat out of 5 years of additional super benefit, hence my desire to invest in another property to recover some of that 5 year $$$.

The property in Petrie rented out good for the first tenancy which such finished, all was fine apart from pets problems.. This time around, it was harder to get tenants and the PM company kept pushing for reducing the rent but I was not for that.. Mainly, I had read on this forum once you do this, its very hard to get back to proper market price.. plus with researching rentals at the times, it property seemed to be priced appropriately at $350.00and maybe I am abit of a snob, it is in the Petrie on Pine estate which is abit flash and what some local think is something... Plus, I have this fear of dropping the price too low and getting the worse type of tenant as they can afford it.. (My insecurities).. The property is 1000m and has a lovely garden, which I was told folks felt daunted about. I agreed to get included in lawn maintenance and the place was rented quickly..

As this new place will be a PI to hold and to make $$$, I want to try to target the right tenant market..

So I come here to ask, what do you think the typical renter of today and tomorrow are looking for????

Thanks heaps,

Last edited:
Aged care facilities have high rent but high management fee. If it had a long vacancy period it would be nightmarish. And not much CG can be expected and hard to sell. Up to if you are after cash flow or CG but I would go for general residential property if I were you. In terms of renting out you will have more chance to have good tenants if vacancy rate is low as you can choose your tenants.

Hi Seabreeeze 99,

Rental Question: From my experience with our rentals I've found when she got the rent it takes ages to build your weekly rental backup to where it was beforehand. Therefore we always try and preserve the weekly rental price by providing a no other initiatives to attract a good tenant. We found providing lawn maintenance and pool maintenance became expensive exercise and very difficult to manage to make sure that the cost of the bills were get a reasonable price. Therefore we actually terminated that part of the rental agreement and just went back to a standard weekly rent basis. On initiatives that we have seen work for us rather than just dropping the weekly rent price is by offering one or two weeks rent free. It does differentiate yourself from other rentals on the market at the moment and help preserve your weekly rent. I also only have six month lease term and then raise a rent by five dollars every six months.

Attractiveness: we live a couple of suburbs away from Petrie. If you are a high set home or double story home in the area one thing that we found that is very popular is mixed living where the younger family lives upstairs and the mum and dad live downstairs in a granny flat style situation.

We currently have an investment property that were selling at the moment just around the road from you are, which is in Lawnton.

Hope this helps and all the best.

Kind regards,

Sherry Ortiz

Back