What to consider or look for when buying land?

Hi guys, I'm after a little advice concerning buying land to build on. There's a well priced large block of land in town which I'm thinking about, but I'm not sure what to consider or look for when buying land.

Any advice would be very appreciated!

Thanks

Look out for easements. If there are any easements then they should be well out of the way, like right at the back of the block.

Ideally, slightly sloping to the road to allow for easy drainage of the storm water.

Depending on the style of the home you are planning a suitable orientation of the block to suit the style, so that you can include solar passive aspects in the building.

If the block is wide enough or deep enough to allow for multiple dwelling either immediately or later to maximize the returns.

There are many other consideration but it is so dependent on what your plans are that it becomes difficult to suggest all features.

cheers

No easements (along the borders are ok).
Front sloping.
Right residential zone.
Higher side of the road.
Rectangular shape with wider frontage.
Corner (or not corner)... depends on what you want to do.
No (or less) native trees.
Wider road.
No bush or creak near by.
Not in Tassie :D

Following on from Devan's post if it's near a watercourse or creek etc check that it's not subject to a riparian zone.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

It looks like the land I'm interested in comes under a few of the "no-no's" you have all mentioned...

Firstly it IS in Tassie :p Unfortunately we are stuck here for now.... but the actual purchaser is eligible for the first home builders boost which was recently pushed up to $30,000 in Tassie. So it makes more sense to build down here at the moment than buying an established property.

One of the properties she is interested in is on a slope in a newer area. It is also a large triangle shape of 1640m2. The reason she is considering this block is because its cheap, a good size with good view, convenient and the units built next door to it (also on a steep slope) sold for a good price individually within the last year, and houses in that area seem to sell for a good price.

The other is block of land that she is considering is out of town in an area where house prices are fairly high compared to areas closer to town. And the block of land again is very cheap for around 2acres.

My sister is thinking about purchasing the land and building a kit home as the repayments on the loan seem to come in at least $50 cheaper than her current rent. We calculated the cost of the land plus the kit home price X 2 to get this figure.

Back