What to do after VCAT issue is resolved?

6 months ago our PM got changed (we didn't get any notice), and a few months later this our tenant lodged a complaint with VCAT about some maintenance work.

Just to give you some history - we've had this tenant for around 10 years, she's been great, pays rent on time, no major maintenance issues. Since the new PM has been involved we've had the VCAT maintenance complaint, which we've resolved and had all the work completed (we're talking 50% of annual rental income gone....... to maintenance :().

I'm wondering if now is a good time to change PM and go with a different Real Estate Company, or keep same Real Estate Company and request for a different PM. The PM didn't contact us or advise us of the tenants queriest or issues (it was written in the condition report, but we tend to get trivial things written in it). Our previous PM always called or emailed to advise me of any genuine concerns the tenant had. Without speaking to the tenant, I suspect the PM was not in contact and she felt neglected?

How you guys reckon I should proceed?

Why not follow your last PM?

If they've went to another company, why not? Of they've left real estate all together probably look at another company, unless you're happy to keep it with the company and ask for another property manager, however you may still have to deal with the bad PM from
time to time if someone is away or you may find it was just the one PM they had that was any good.

I'm wondering if now is a good time to change PM and go with a different Real Estate Company, or keep same Real Estate Company and request for a different PM. The PM didn't contact us or advise us of the tenants queriest or issues (it was written in the condition report, but we tend to get trivial things written in it). Our previous PM always called or emailed to advise me of any genuine concerns the tenant had. Without speaking to the tenant, I suspect the PM was not in contact and she felt neglected?

Joey, after such shabby treatment - which has cost you a fortune and jolted your otherwise fantastic long-standing relationship with your tenant - why would you consider sticking around? You have zero obligation to stick with your current PM company - would you tolerate treatment like that from a restaurant or hotel? No, you'd leave in disgust and never come back!

It's your money that you're forking over to the PM. You should only do that in exchange for professional service and nothing less. It doesn't matter how long you've been with the company. You'd be surprised how quick and easy it is to change PM companies or become a self-manager (check out my blog if you're interested in that).

6 months ago our PM got changed (we didn't get any notice), and a few months later this our tenant lodged a complaint with VCAT about some maintenance work.

Just to give you some history - we've had this tenant for around 10 years, she's been great, pays rent on time, no major maintenance issues. Since the new PM has been involved we've had the VCAT maintenance complaint, which we've resolved and had all the work completed (we're talking 50% of annual rental income gone....... to maintenance :().

sounds like a big maintenance and repair bill. can you say what sort of things had to be fixed? are you intending to adjust the rent?
sounds as if you do need a new property manager. when is the tenancy up for renewal, are you going to offer it to the same tenant?

Back