What to do in Melbourne in the rain?

So it's raining, raining, raining and many of the things I wanted to do with the kids are no fun in the rain.

Tomorrow we are going to Bounce the indoor trampoline place but I need some more ideas for Wednesday onwards when we are in the cbd.

I'm travelling with DS14, DS7 and DD5 which is a difficult spread of ages as 14yo likes different things to the small ones.

I was hoping to do Art Play at fed square and then hire some bikes and go for a ride. Art Play might still be possible.
http://www.fedsquare.com/culture/art-play-city-of-melbourne/

Queen Vic markets

Heeeeelp

Today was great and we managed to get some outdoor time so cabin fever is not too bad.

Aquarium is on list of possibilities and we've done science works before but I might add it back on to the list.

I don't know how old your kids are but Docklands seems to have lots of indoor fun stuff. I spent a day there with my 7 year old - we went to glow in the dark mini-golf, tunzafun, etc.

Cheers

Jamie

I don't know how old your kids are but Docklands seems to have lots of indoor fun stuff. I spent a day there with my 7 year old - we went to glow in the dark mini-golf, tunzafun, etc.

Cheers

Jamie

Westy said:
I'm travelling with DS14, DS7 and DD5
(Stands for Dear Son 14yo, Dear Son 7yo and Dear Daughter 5yo)

There's more in Melb than just the CBD, folks. :rolleyes:

But, if you must only be there.....

Try a tour of the MCG and the MCC. Fantastic insight.

No good if you're not into cricket or footy, but even if you aren't, it's still got a lot to show.

Don't forget the Eureka Tower too.

Try a tour of the MCG and the MCC. Fantastic insight.

No good if you're not into cricket or footy, but even if you aren't, it's still got a lot to show.

A few years ago, hubby and I took our young kids to Melbourne for a few days as we'd never been there. We absolutely loved it! Hubby, being a keen cricket enthusiast and loving all codes of football insisted on doing the MCG tour. I agreed and tagged along thinking to myself, "this will be boring and the kids will hate it but, hey, it's something he wants to do..." Well, it was fantastic! We all loved it (and I don't really like cricket and can't stand AFL). Highly recommended.

Also, the old Melbourne gaol - awesome and a great (if not, very sad) insight into how hard life used to be and how corrupt and cruel Victoria's old justice system used to be.

The Library - can't remember it's full name but the one where Ned Kelly's armour and other very interesting pieces of Australian history are kept.

The old Watch House/Police Station - this was great. Not sure if they still do this but they had everyone wait outside then actors dressed as police would open the door and the scene would play out that we were all detained for an offence - mug shot taken, finger prints, etc, all while also giving a tour of the old complex. Kids loved it and so did I. I suppose it's not for everybody but I found it very interesting.

I'm looking forward to visiting Melbourne again soon - might take in some shopping and lots of coffee and food next time, too :).

Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre in Albert Park. Easily accessible from the CBD by tram. They have a wave pool, water slide and 'flo-rider' which kids would love.

I second this. It is near Chinatown and across the road from where I work. It is a favourite lunchtime haunt for us city workers.

China town has plenty of other yum cha - The Shark Fin or the Flower Drum are good.

Alternatively, you can try The Spice Temple at Crown (Neil Perry's restaurant).

Crown has a games area for kids (Timezone), movie theatres, lots of restaurants and shopping so you can spend all day there if it is raining buckets outside.

Enjoy!

Great ideas guys.

Thanks for the yum cha ideas. We will try out hutong and the others.

Sounds like docklands might be good for all of them. They would love the aquatic place but we didn't pack any bathers.

As a Melbournian I can't in good conscience recommend Docklands! Windy and barren! Go to somewhere nicer like Camberwell or Fitzroy if you want something a bit hipster.

As a Melbournian I can't in good conscience recommend Docklands! Windy and barren! Go to somewhere nicer like Camberwell or Fitzroy if you want something a bit hipster.

We did Camberwell markets on Sunday.

I have done docklands before and it didn't really float my boat but it might be good if we get stuck.

We decided to go to Ikea today so the kids could play in Smaland to get out of the drizzle but Smaland was closed. So very non touristy but everyone loves meatballs :)

Tomorrow I lose access to a car when I leave my friends house in glen iris and head to Carlton/cbd.

Back