What to do with this buyer?

Yes or no?

• Reduce by a few hundred and be done with it

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • No reduction

Votes: 23 63.9%

• Total voters
The apartment I'm selling today should be going unconditional.. but the buyer has come back with something from the b&p inspection which at first I thought was funny, but now is testing my patience.

They want the purchase price reduced by the cost of a clothes dryer the b&p inspector thinks is faulty. :eek:

They're getting the place fully furnished for free - it wasn't included on the contract (they were originally knocked back on finance so didn't want the val reduced any further with furnishings included). There is nothing included in the contract for chattels..

Should I just reduce the price or offer 50-50 and be done with it? I would like it to be over and done with today..
Or stand my ground on principle since they're getting the furnishings for free?

I guess it all depends on the price of the apartment, how many other buyers you have, whether you think the price is undermarket, or at market,

alternatively, if they are seeking a high amount, just go to gumtree, pick up a 2nd hand one for cheap, and tell them you'll get it replaced

whats a 2nd hand dryer go for these days? $150?

p.s is it actually faulty?

The cloths dryer has no impact on the value of the property, especially if it's not mentioned in the contract. I'm surprised the B&P inspector is giving it any consideration in their report.

B&p clause states
The buyer must give notice to the seller that: a satisfactory Inspector's report under clause 4.1 has not been obtained by the inspection date and the buyer terminates this contract. The Buyer must act reasonably
"reasonably" is open to interpretation, but 0.1% of the purchase price doesn't seem reasonable to me.. My solicitor wouldn't give me a definite answer when I asked "am I 100% correct in saying no?"

The agent is pushing me to reduce the price.. They're paying top dollar and no other offers were close.

I think I'll reduce by $150 seeing as though that's the cost of replacing with a second hand one.. they shouldn't be getting a new one.

I voted that you don't give in to this stupidity... but now you have said it is a top shelf offer and there are no other buyers, I would agree with Marg and knock $150 off.

So they are paying top dollar and there are no other buyers?
I wouldn't be giving it a second thought.
Sure, you can get your back up and stand your ground.
They can do likewise and walk away.
Then next week you'll be hoping another buyer comes along.

Would be a good idea to confirm this is the only demand they have... otherwise you may get a list as soon as you agree to this one?

So the b&P inspector thinks the clothes dryer is faulty?
Get an electrician to do a quick inspect and test to see if this is so, and if it's actually ok, get a written report to give to the buyer, and the B&P inspector...

If it is faulty, do as others suggest and replace it.

I voted that you don't give in to this stupidity... but now you have said it is a top shelf offer and there are no other buyers, I would agree with Marg and knock $150 off.

+1

Make sure you accept this condition but only on the condition that you get the contract unconditional without any further delay/negotiations.

Cheers,
Oracle.

there should be an option in the poll for: reduce by $150, or replace dryer

if the BP inspector thinks its faulty, then he may have just turned it on or looked at it and assumed it doesnt work,
id suggest to go and test it, if it works, say its been fixed, and if it doesnt work, get a 2nd hand one from gumtree

for $150, it certainly isnt worth it, especially if they are paying top dollar, and assuming the property isnt $10k

The agent was present when the b&p inspector did his visit and said the dryer sounded like a jet plane taking off. But the tenant has never complained about it before..

Make sure you accept this condition but only on the condition that you get the contract unconditional without any further delay/negotiations.
That's a good idea.

Their condition didn't say a $ value, just "replace with a new dryer or reduce the price by the cost of a new dryer".

I went back and offered $150 reduction (cost of a secondhand dryer).

Just now heard back from the solicitor - they have agreed!! :D

On one hand I feel like a mug for reducing by $150, but glad that it's over. I don't think they had a leg to stand on since no furnishings were in the contract and they weren't being "reasonable" as per the clause, but didn't want to drag it out any further.

So the b&P inspector thinks the clothes dryer is faulty?
Get an electrician to do a quick inspect and test to see if this is so, and if it's actually ok, get a written report to give to the buyer, and the B&P inspector...

If it is faulty, do as others suggest and replace it.
Would probably cost more to get a sparky out and test than buying a new dryer ... :D

Mystery

The agent was present when the b&p inspector did his visit and said the dryer sounded like a jet plane taking off. But the tenant has never complained about it before..

What did he expect a large wall mounted tumble dryer spinning at a few hundred RPM to sound like, a church mouse asleep in a library?

Back