What to do with US$ cheques.

Got a couple of dividend cheques this week in US$. Only a modest amount but I hate being ripped by our banks so looking for an alternative than simply banking them.

A more seasoned traveller than I suggested buying a "travel card" in USD. Later in the year Mrs Fish and I are going to Darwin so we might as well hop over to SE Asia. We're not big spenders so they would cover much of our out of pockets if we did that.

Can anyone expand on this idea?

Hi Sunfish

Most of the large banks will let you open USD denominated bank accounts, e.g. HSBC will allow you to open a USD denominated account with a minimum deposit of USD$1,000.

You can then get a card attached to the account that will allow you to draw cash where ever you may be. Details of this account are available at:
http://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/personal/savings/foreign-currency

No I don't work for HSBC ;-)

Cheers, Paul

Have to disagree with Lofty - all the major Australian banks won't do USD bank accounts, other than NAB and their fees are ridiculous.

HSBC on the other hand, now they're a multinational, they came up in my searches too and are probably exactly what you want. I don't work for them either but wholeheartedly recommend based on other people's experiences :)

Two 'potential' ideas, however both require larger somes of capital for it to be justified in the scheme of things.

(a) utilise an australian domiciled full broker (this leaves one open to full tax consequences). I use this option, and i get all overseas dividends paid to me either in a US$ nominated account or an AU$ nominated account (with the proceeds translated at wholesale rates less about 50 basis points)

(b) utilise an overseas domiciled full broker. I'm not talking about this option further on the internet.

There are NO charges.

I also think HSBC is the best/easiest option if your cheques need to be banked before drawn on. I opened an acc in hong kong which was painless and allows transfers/deposits of major currencys. It's called Smartvantage but don't think HSBC branches in Oz have it.. i can only logon thru the hong kong porthole. Has a few nifty services that come with it.
https://www.hsbc.com.hk/1/2/hk/banking/sva
# Multitude of Online Transactional Capabilities - Leverage on a multitude of transactional capabilities such as bill payments, fund transfers, buy/sell investment facilities and more, with a few simply clicks.
# Online 24-hour Investment Tools
Online 24-Hour All-round Securities Trading Services - Place H.K. and U.S. securities orders round-the-clock with just 3 clicks.
24-Hour Currency Exchange Service - Trade currencies with real-time tradable rates, through HSBC's 24-Hour Currency Exchange Service.
Forex/Renminbi Switching Service - Your buy or sell instructions and fund transfers for designated accounts will be executed automatically when your pre-set exchange rate, balance and frequency conditions are met, helping you to capture the best potential returns even in a highly fluctuating foreign exchange market.
Share Watch - You can set up 'Share Watch' to review the latest prices and performance of selected securities.
# Online Asset Portfolio - Presented in concise and user-friendly charts, the portfolio allows you to instantly check your financial status and plan your investment with ease.
# Online Financial Planning Tools
My Life Planner - shows you how to plan for life's important events and goals
Risk Profiling Questionnaire - determines your risk level
# Online Financial Calendar - Manage your plans in advance to pre-set, change or update forward-dated payments, transfers and time deposit instructions with ease.
# Free eAlert Service - Keep yourself well-informed on instruction status and market information, including investment order confirmation, IPO updates and other banking alerts.

* Integrated Financial Services
One integrated account for your deposits, investments, insurance, credit facilities, mortgage services and credit card that offers you convenience and efficiency in your financial management.
* One Consolidated Statement
On a monthly basis, you will receive one easy-to-read consolidated statement to give you a comprehensive overview of your financial position.
* Deposit
Manage various Hong Kong dollar, Renminbi or foreign currency deposit services, including ForEx Switching Services in one account number. Enjoy a preferential time deposit interest rate calculated based on your integrated account type, Total Relationship Balance, time deposit amount and tenor.
* Renminbi Services
Take advantage of our savings and time deposit services, transfers and ForEx Switching services in Renminbi (RMB). You can also exchange and remit RMB via HSBC Internet Banking or at any HSBC branch in Hong Kong.
* Investment
Trade local stocks2 and unit trusts3 or purchase structured products4, bonds5 and certificates of deposit5 via HSBC Internet Banking or phonebanking anytime you want. You can also subscribe to initial public offers and our Monthly Investment Plans.
* Credit
Make the best use of low interest secured credit worth up to 100% of your asset value with no additional service fee, and clean credit of up to HK$600,000 or four times your monthly salary (whichever is lower), plus overdraft protection worth up to HK$5,000.

On top of HSBC Internet Banking and automated phonebanking, you can also manage your finances through more than 500,000 ATMs worldwide.

Enjoy a 5-year annual fee waiver when you apply successfully for a new HSBC credit card with your SmartVantage account to give you more lifestyle benefits. This promotion is only applicable to application of new HSBC credit card.

Our strong global presence and network mean that your personal banking needs are always well taken care of. Whenever you need access to cross-border banking and financial services in a new country7, you can do so through a streamlined application process, and we can also transfer your credit history to facilitate your application.

You can enjoy the full scale banking services referred to above at no extra charge under your SmartVantage account if you have a Total Relationship Balance8 of HK$10,000 or above. A below balance fee HK$60 monthly will only be charged only if the Total Relationship Balance falls below HK$10,000.

Back