What to look for in relation to sewerage/water when purchasing

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone was able to shed some light on what to look for in plans when purchasing, in particular the water/sewerage access for any potential development. Are the main things access to sewerage/water mains by ensuring they are within your land boundary? Secondly ensuring that the easement does not run directly across your land, preventing the ability to build over the top???

Hoping that anyone could shed some light on the above thoughts and/or let me know of any other main considerations. Thank you all in advance.
Cheers

The thing to look for is sewerage and drainage pipes as these are the most difficult to provide if they aren't there. Water mains are generally much shallower and also can be laid at any gradient rather than having to flow downwards.

You need to check that the sewer and drain 'controls' the block in other words it is deep enough that wherever the house is constructed on the block the drains will flow by gravity to the main. Typically this means the sewer should be around 1m below the lowest point of the block.

I like main sewer to run along back fence. They're out of the way and it makes it easy if you make improvements to your property. If you build over or near the main sewer it costs extra $$ to keep Sydney Water happy eg engineer report, encasing pipes in concrete etc

The thing to look for is sewerage and drainage pipes as these are the most difficult to provide if they aren't there. Water mains are generally much shallower and also can be laid at any gradient rather than having to flow downwards.

You need to check that the sewer and drain 'controls' the block in other words it is deep enough that wherever the house is constructed on the block the drains will flow by gravity to the main. Typically this means the sewer should be around 1m below the lowest point of the block.

Excellent advice thank you. Are you able to tell me what it is when people talk about needing to go through the neighbours etc to make a connection..??? Is this just that the "main" or "manhole" access is on their land..???

Thank you in advance

I like main sewer to run along back fence. They're out of the way and it makes it easy if you make improvements to your property. If you build over or near the main sewer it costs extra $$ to keep Sydney Water happy eg engineer report, encasing pipes in concrete etc

Cheers....Would this be the same if the lines ran straight down one side..???

Excellent advice thank you. Are you able to tell me what it is when people talk about needing to go through the neighbours etc to make a connection..??? Is this just that the "main" or "manhole" access is on their land..???

Thank you in advance

Basically you are fine if the sewer easement is either along your fence line or alongside the common fence line in your neighbours property. You will then be making a connection within your property, or making a connection within the existing easement in your neighbours property.

If the sewer is further away you have a problem as you will need to negotiate an easement which can work out expensive.

More often than not the connection to the sewer is to the pipe rather than the manhole. (Even when the manhole is within your block)

I am currently going through this at the moment in Ipswich. I am far from knowledgeable on the subject but from what I can tell (and if I am wrong and anyone more knowledgeable knows the correct answer please tell us), the easiest property to look for is one that slopes towards the road (ie when standing on the road you look up towards the land), not away from it as ***** always flows downhill as does stormwater (this in not quite true as there are ways of doing the opposite but the cost for most of us is usually prohibitive). Normal tap water is under pressure so this isn't an issue. There are plenty of properties that are still viable if the property slopes away from the road but this then requires the sewer mains or stormwater to be at the back of the property OR you may gain access through a neighbours property and this is when things become harder.

In relation to Sewerage, you have to contact the owner of the neighbouring property that has the accessible sewerage pipe on their property and gain permission from them to go through their yard to extend the sewerage main into your property. You will need to have this permission before lodging a DA as the council will ask about it for application. If permission is granted and the DA is approved, you then have to contact whoever looks after the Sewerage (in QLD it is QLD urban Utilities) who then do up engineered plans and can complete the work (they will send an excavator, 2 trucks, 10 men, a couple of supervisors and an extra 2 men that will actually do all the work :mad:) and you will then have Sewerage to your property. Connection from their is your own responsibility I believe.

For Stormwater, it is the same thing but usually you have to gain permission to go through the neighbours entire property to the street on the other side to discharge your storm water.

If a neighbour says no to access, you are pretty much stuck with the block as is as I don't believe councils usually force neighbours to allow access.

Again, if this isn't correct can someone correct me.

Good luck.

Cheers....Would this be the same if the lines ran straight down one side..???

No. I think it would be worse. The main sewer line has a "zone of influence" and by having the main sewer running down one side, there is more chance you will encroach the zone of influence eg if you build a garage or granny flat.

It could force you to move any improvements to a less desirable position in order to save money and a headache.

Once you get your plans for improvements stamped by council you need to get Sydney Water to stamp them as well.....that's when the fun continues.

If a neighbour says no to access, you are pretty much stuck with the block as is as I don't believe councils usually force neighbours to allow access.

Good luck.

I think if you have absolutely no choice but to get an easement from the neighbour and they refuse all reasonable offers, you can take it to the L&E court and they have the power to force the neighbour to allow an easement.

I think if you have absolutely no choice but to get an easement from the neighbour and they refuse all reasonable offers, you can take it to the L&E court and they have the power to force the neighbour to allow an easement.

What about pumping the water to the street?

Back