What trade do I need for this?

My stormwater pipes that take the water from my downpipies out to the street are completely clogged with tree roots / soil and appears to have been this way for many years through the neglect of the previous owner. They appear to be beyond saviour and the lack of drainage is causing the sub-floor to be quite damp.

I want to get new pipes laid, that will hopefully be tree root proof.

1. Who actually does this job? A plumber? A roofing/downpipe guy?
2. There's a short 3m section from my front gate to the street. Can I do that bit as well or is this something the council needs to do?
3. I have a contact for a kanga digger type guy. Would it be best to get them in first to dig the trench and then have someone else come in to fit up the pipes? There are also sections that go under a concrete driveway.

This is something we have experienced and we couldn't do new stormwater pipes due to the slope away from the street. It is a job our plumber looked after. We ran new pipes to a rubble pit, but if we could have connected to the stormwater we would have.

He should be able to run new pipe to the street as well.

This is something we have experienced and we couldn't do new stormwater pipes due to the slope away from the street. It is a job our plumber looked after. We ran new pipes to a rubble pit, but if we could have connected to the stormwater we would have.

He should be able to run new pipe to the street as well.

My existing ones flow out to the street, although the slope is almost negligible as the block is perfectly flat. In my situation, it seems like a bigger job getting it to flow out to the street than to run the downpipes to a rubble pit. Would I need to get council involved to change this?

We found out our stormwater pipes were blocked when the downhill neighbours told us our water was causing their house to become unstable (on stumps) :eek:.

What about the run off from the other eight houses further up the hill, and what about how it affected our house on stumps. Was the water from "their" yard causing problems for the eight houses further down? What a load of bollocks trying to blame us for their problems. We have the same problem. Live on a hill... expect water running down the hill, duh!

Anyway, our plumber came around, rodded the stormwater pipes, found all four of them were solid with 50 years of earth and told us our council required a rubble pit 1m x 1m x 1m as an alternative. He said it would silt up over time and become useless and we would be back to the same situation as the house has had for probably 50 years. But we would have done our duty.

So, council didn't have to get involved, as the plumber knew his stuff.

Back