What trade do I need to install this?

where in the concrete floor
outside the edge is easy, handyman & plumber to connect to stormwater
center is harder, breaking work, handyman & plumber to connect to stormwater

regardless there is going to be a plumber to tap the drain into the stormwater

mostly a concreter will not need the grate and channel, those are fabricated in concrete

draining an existing floor properly is difficult, there is no fall to the drain, as there is in a floor made for a drain, and a stormwater pipe has to be run to the drain, very difficult if the drain is 20 feet from the wall

what is the source of the water, perhaps there is a simpler diversion

a plumber can do all the work, but its expensive in labour

Hard to describe but I'll have a crack. Outside my back door, I have a flight of about 6 steps up to a paved patio. Unfortunately, when it rains heavy, the water comes down the steps and pools outside the door. There is a very slight fall off to the side of the house but there are no stormwater pipes on this side of the house and it would be a huge job to do it neatly. We're not talking about a huge volume of water, so I'd be happy to divert it two metres towards the side of the house where it would absorb into the soil. The concrete appears to be fairly thin here.

be careful of divirting any water towards a garden bed or side wall. Overtime it was wash away the underneath soil and you can get cracking to brickwork and foundations. Water should be directed away from the house always, never towards it...if not installed to be compliant, you can void any possible Insurance cover as it its not within standard building guidelines.
you need to post a pic of the stairs and landing,

Here's a couple of photos. The floor is not completely flat as there's a very slight ridge approximately where the wheels of the barbecue are at. Otherwise, there's a very gentle slope away from the house towards the wooden fence. I must add that the amount of water that comes down this way is fairly minimal even in heavy rain, but it does pool.

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_01461.JPG

I know it's not what you were asking, but are you sure you've tried clearing away the organic debris / soil a bit at the end to make your problem go away?

It looks to me that the design is solid, and the water is draining exactly as it should... but the soil bed is too high for the water to have anywhere to go, so it doesn't quite make it off the edge of the concrete. I would be digging the soilbed down about 100mm, thus having the edge of the concrete 'drop off' (by ~5mm) into the planting bed and giving the water somewhere to go. It will mean you slightly expose the tree but it will survive.

(I have often had the same problem as the missus likes to put mulch/whatever on the gardens to keep them from evaporating away and over a few years they tend to get higher than they used to be... causing drainage not to make it off the paving/concrete areas)

I know it's not what you were asking, but are you sure you've tried clearing away the organic debris / soil a bit at the end to make your problem go away?

Once the water gets over that ridge (draw a straight line from the barbecue's wheels to the back door of the house), it gets away OK. Some of it goes into the soil while the rest goes down the concrete path around the corner (out of view in the photo) which also slopes away from the house.

Maybe I just need to get rid of the ridge :confused:

HC, I've got a pair of sandles like those. I've also got a very similar gas bottle and BBQ. HC, have you been to my house?

I'd be getting a quote from a plumber. When dealing with water speak to a plumber. Not just any plumber but a good one. Get a couple quotes if you can. You will get a feel of who the best one.

Back