What were you doing 5 / 10 / 15 / etc years ago ??

Thought I'd start a thread to see where people were a wee while back property-wise, and to see the progress as time ticks by.

To kick it off ;

Now :.............. Reasonably comfy, still working though.
5 years ago :.... Just bought our current PPoR. Looking at getting into commercial.
10 years ago :.. Just paid off our first PPoR. Two rental IP's giving us many headaches.
15 years ago :.. Gathering the deposit for the first IP.
20 years ago :.. Looking at a rural block. Decided I couldn't afford it.

Howzabout yous guys ??

Now . Wondering if the swans will ever win another premiership.

Five years ago , buying in Townsville , and putting in DA for recently completed dual occ....

Ten years ago . Muttering there had to be a better way . Large mortgage , nil IP's etc.

15 years ago - thinking about selling PPOR in Concord and moving to Northshore. Realising that property does go sideways for years ( from when we bought in Concord )

20 years ago - expecting number 1...... Wondering if the swans will ever win another premiership

Cliff

Now - ticking along, thinking about buying some more property and partying in a much more sedate fashion these days.
5 years ago - temporarily stopped partying, saved some $$$ and bought first house
10 years ago - partying like it was 1999
15 years ago - working crap part time jobs while partying like it was 1999
20 years ago - looking forward to leaving school so i could party like it was 1999.

Pretty boring on the property front because I didn't discover it until recently so thought I might respond with where I was in life in general

Now - trying to acquire my second IP
5 yrs ago - playing a lot of basketball when I should be concentrating on uni
10 yrs ago - cruising through highschool thinking I know everything
15 yrs ago - getting to know my new primary school
20 yrs ago - can't quite remember. was a todler

Now :.............. Purchased First Property/IP, Settlement soon
5 years ago :.... Renting
10 years ago :.. n/a
15 years ago :.. n/a
20 years ago :.. n/a

Now - newly married and about to settle on our second resi and starting to learn what we can about commerical after picking up a book on investing late last year randomly at the bookstore.

5 years ago - just finished uni and starting to learn about the real world

10years ago - half way through high school in the US and desperate to get back to Oz

15 years ago - about to leave Oz for the US with the family

20years ago - year one at school, learning about surf life saving at Nippers

Last edited:
Now :.............. Reasonably comfy, still working though. Have my first multi-unit development underway.

5 years ago :.... 2003 in Brisbane; Felt like I had to get into RE at all costs, paid asking price for a 1 br unit.

10 years ago :.. Broke uni student living on Austudy and loans. Had practically NIL financial intelligence. Spent more than I earned and borrowed from friends.

15 years ago :.. Broke high school student living with broke parents. Had less than NIL financial intelligence. Had no income whatsoever but still managed to spend money and get a loan for a second-hand 386 computer.

20 years ago :.. Hmm life as a 10-year-old. Never really had a piggy bank. No point because mum would have just raided it to pay the rent.

They say you get your money habits from your parents. I'm absolutely certain this is true, but am so grateful that I was able to turn it around so dramatically around 2002 thanks to some pirated kiyosaki mp3s, and then after that whatever books I could get my hands on.

Now :.............. Looking to buy PPOR
5 years ago :.... Just finished high school
10 years ago :.. Year 7/8
15 years ago :.. Year 3/4
20 years ago :.. Crawling/Walking :p

Now - Just purchased my first ever property. A House in Frankston, going to move in for 6 months so I can get FHBG then move back to where I live now.

5yrs - Touring across Australia/Europe/Scandinavia and the U.K multiple times with a punk rock band and renting in Fitzroy & Northcote inbetween. Lots of booze and ladies **** hanging out of the seam of my trousers

10yrs - Living in St Kilda with my ex girlfriend drinking ridiculous amounts of beer and eating pizza. On the Sausage roll

15yrs - Riding around on a Skateboard breaking bones

32yrs - A twinkle in my Dads eye

5 yrs from now - PPOR by the Beach in Mordialloc with a killer recording studio, 5 Investment Properties!!!!

Now :.............. Still cruising along
5 years ago :.... Cruising along
10 years ago :.. Started investing the returns from consulting business:D
15 years ago :.. Bought 3rd IP Consulting in IT. Won big contract, remortgaged everything - paid off big time.:cool:
20 years ago :.. (+2) Just bought my first IP. Posted overseas for a 2 year paid holiday;) (+0) Bought 2nd IP

Now: Positioning myself - trying to keep my investing style relevent to the current times.

5 yrs ago Working hard - Had sold my paid for house put ALL my life savings and my b#lls on the line - into RE and a new business just 12 months before.

10 Years ago Becoming depressed and frustrated with 9-5 job. Began planning an escape. Nearly owned my own home.

15 years ago Doing a block split combined with a removal home and reno. A bit of learning involved there.

Now :.............. Taking a breather and building buffers. I have staked out my claim and waiting for rents to rise and / or IRs to fall. Cashflow is strong and I can comfortably hold as long as needed.
5 years ago :.... Arriving in Australia from Canada. Looking for a job.
10 years ago :.. Halfway through uni.
15 years ago :.. Teaching snowboarding in Canada and New Zealand.
20 years ago :.. Going surfing with my mates and waiting to get out of high school.

Great thread Dazz!

Me:

Now:
Just returned from the USA, teaching golf part-time again, recently bought a business that I will be managing from afar as I can - passive income with minimal hourly input. This will allow me to finally be free from the necessity to be in the workforce at all. Have 5 IP's, pos cashflow portfolio finally, and getting ready to build our next PPoR on our block late next year.

5 years ago: working casually as a nurses' aid (had given up teaching golf and selling golf equip - burnout) in the ICU at Frangers Hospital. This allowed my wife and I more freedom to look after the young son. Bought IP's 3 and 4. Getting ready to move to the US for wife's work Contract.

10 years ago:
Had just sold our PPoR up in Blackburn, moved down to the Mornington Peninsula, sold my golf business (burnout, disenchanted), and was setting up the B&B (sold it 2 years later), working part time as well teaching golf at a mate's golf club for some extra cashflow.

15 years ago: Running my own golf business, making loads and spending much of it. Had recently sold PPoR no.1 and was renting. Single, bought a block of land in Blackburn, proposed to my wife (married 6 months later).

20 years ago: Aged 27, running my own golf business, single, had bought my first PPoR 2 years earlier.

In summary; wished I'd discovered property investing at aged 20.

Now: Just bought & moved into PPOR
5 years ago: Started buying IPs
10 years ago: Grew portfolio comprising shares, managed funds topped up with regular monthly savings
15 years ago: First term deposit

Sold a bit but mainly just bought & accumulated.

Peter

Now.
Best ever season and great prices last year from the soft commodity boom see us debt free. Looking for opportunities. 3 kids happily at primary school. Very confortable.

5 years ago.
Low commodity prices have farming as a bit of a struggle. Started leasing an extra 400 hectares. Put a fair chunk of borrowed money into shares in 03. Did well from that.

10 years ago.
Had recently got married and purchased our last farm. Needed bigger gear. Hocked to the eyeballs.

15 years ago.
Consolidation after the 22% peak interest rate, near bust experience. Single, having fun.

20 years ago.
The old man had purchased more land in 1985, as I decided I wanted to be a farmer and we had to get bigger. 22% peak interest rates. Hail storm in 86 wiped out our summer crop and half the wheat. Very tough times. Only luck got us through that.

See ya's.

Now:... Have just finished building IP no 5... still working though.

5 years ago :.... Started my IP investment journey (Way too late in life but at least started)

10 years ago :.. Still finishing PPOR and still working

15 years ago :.. Bought 12 acres and building PPOR, Wife also bought a small block of land. Started work in construction industry.

20 years ago :.. Working in a nightclub aaarrrr..... those were the days!!!

Now - bought another ip. comfortable, trying for part time work, still looking to get more ip and playing share

5 years ago - Upgraded ppor (closer to school with debt free) and 1 IP, still playing shares

10 yeras ago - upgraded ppor to a house for kids), playing bit of shares

15 years ago - got married. bought unit as PPOR

20 years ago - still in uni

Great thread - inspiring stories as usual of people who actually were investing when I 'wanted to' and should have been.

Me:

Today - (Well yesterday actually) finally exchanged on first IP. Better later than never...

5yrs ago - Had owned first PPOR for about a year and saw 50% capital gains. Bought Steve McNight's 0-130 properties book and thought, "yes, property investing is absolutely the way to go". Hubby agreed 100%. Proceeded to do nothing about it. Burned all our excess cf and a fair bit of equity when we were both on two pretty good incomes. :eek::eek::eek:

10yrs ago - uni and working to fund my lifestyle.

Now: Not long bought another property, minor renovations completed. Contemplating the next deal. Enjoying life very much.

5 Years Ago: Had just built another property, after completion (build), of our very first IP. Had read Steve's book, and Rich Dad Poor Dad, lightbulb had switched on..having capitalistic-type fun. Very different ballgame, just realising not only what it meant for us, but also the ripple pond pond affect that it could offer.

Woohoo!

10 Years Ago: In Spring Street, expressing some concern over the then, Liberal Government's interpretation, and implementation, of:

http://www.agedcare.gov.au/internet/AgedCare/Publishing.nsf/content/aged+care+act

Having fun. ;)

15 Years Ago: Overseas...

Back