What were you doing 5 / 10 / 15 / etc years ago ??

now ... comfortable with equity of around $1.8mil but cashflow still a problem, playing the shares a bit, building the buffer, spinning the wheels in small sth aust town and getting bored. looking for investment opportunities

5yrs ago ... giving birth to junior, finishing a reno on an ip, finishing subdivision on another two ips, buying wrap properties

10yrs ago ... getting divorced from idiot who would spend every dollar, plus some, on wine, food, flash cars, the latest get rich quick scheme (always failed) and big game hunting

20years ago ... getting married to idiot

Last edited:
Interesting thread,

Now:
Sitting on my hands, but watching and reasearching for opportunities. Did buy one cheapie this year to develop. Own PPOR and depending on how you want to look at it have 7 IP's (6 resi and 1 commercial) and 9 leases. Looking and learning about how to improve what we own as they are land rich and well located to CBD (Melb mostly). Some development and value adding to increase the number of doors (rents) and have the tax man help all this with depreciation.

5 years ago:
Purchased our current PPOR and purchased three IP's

10 years ago:
Parked.

15 years ago:
Parked.

20-24 years ago:
Purhased 4 IP's. Started when I was 22 and started working, bought one per year for a while.

Very interesting post. Makes it interesting looking back at what was....

Now: Finally getting off my **** and getting LOC on equity from IP #3, hopefully around $170,000. Looking everyday for the next opportunity.

5 Years ago: Bought #2 IP, pottering along nicely. Thinking that I'd like to retire at 40.

10 Years ago: Long term renting, planning my first big o/s trip. Deciding that I never want to own my own property (let alone be a landlord!)

15 Years ago: Let's see, I would have been 21! Party Party boomba doomba.

Now - playing the lets-wait-for-tradies game with the cheapest house in Jamestown. Shaping up lovely.

5 years ago - Had just bought my current PPoR as a getaway weekender, was still working for the feds, and about to sell the block of land I was going to build on but decided not to.

10 years ago - just bought first house

15 years ago - uni. In fact, I believe I was just starting to date one of those idiots who spent all the money, I saved the deposit for my first house unbelieveably quickly once he was gone.

20 years ago - enjoying life at school :)

Now - paid off PPOR, 3 ips and a share portfolio, looking for the next deal and judiciously buying shares. 1 child soon to start high school and one in primary

5 years ago - just moved to Queensland and trying to explain to my mother in the UK that a wooden house with a tin roof was called a Queenslander and not a shed!! Cashed up having sold PPOR but still managed to spend more than we had on the next one

10 years ago - working for a multi national in the UK thinking 3% contributory pension sounded a little low but what did I care as we were riding the property bubble in the UK with our PPOR

15 years ago - Just got married and 2 years into first mortgage

20 years ago - ******* it up at Uni

Interesting to do this, I think we all get lost in the 'doing' and forget to look at the journey to get there.

Five years ago - 2003. We had just moved into our current home and we were battling with a Pool developer who had gone broke, leaving us with a big hole in the backyard. And thinking about whether we should sell our IP in Noosa as the CG had been achieved and property was going backwards. Watching another block of land in a Marina increase rapidly in value. Oldest son about to do Year 12 exams.

10 years ago - 1998. Knee deep in school fees. Just bought a shack at the Lower Lakes near Goolwa to escape. Almost moved to Queensland:eek:

15 years ago - 1993. Just started our own business. Owned our house, two young children.

20 years ago - 1988. Mother in law passed away. Bad year. Would rather forget that one. For lots of reasons:(

30 years ago - we got Married!!!!!!

Now :.............. Still cruising along
5 years ago :.... Cruising along
10 years ago :.. Started investing the returns from consulting business:D
15 years ago :.. Bought 3rd IP Consulting in IT. Won big contract, remortgaged everything - paid off big time.:cool:
20 years ago :.. (+2) Just bought my first IP. Posted overseas for a 2 year paid holiday;) (+0) Bought 2nd IP

Define cruising ;)

Now -Reasonably comfortable, just waiting to see what happens over next 12 months. Good property portfolio, business in decline.

5 years ago - 3Ips and business doing very well.

10 years ago - 1ip and business growing

15 years ago - Early days in busines, hardly any equity in PPOR.

20 years ago - Almost bankrupt. Bank threatened to foreclose on PPOR. Those interest rates really hurt.

Hi there

yes it is interesting to reflect back

Now
getting the buffer ready - may have to help our eldest into her first property in the not too distant future.

5 years ago
The Canberra bushfires hit. Lost 2 properties one of which was my parents family home which we had purchased one month prior to the fires to allow my parents to use their equity to build on my brother's property. They lost everything. Sold one block of land and elected to rebuild the family home. Bought the property which is now our PPOR from sale funds and said goodbye to my mother, who had passed away after fighting cancer for years and succumbed to the added stress of the fires.

10 years ago
Posted to Toowoomba and bought a PPOR which is now one of our IP's. This was after living in married quarters for 10 years or so - so a new experience for us having our own home.

15 years ago
Posted to Texas USA and volunteered in setting up a local festival and also taught kids to swim. Didn't really think about investing overseas though. Had plenty of trips around the States.

20 years ago
Posted to Melbourne and was working in a big legal firm in their commercial area dealing with commercial purchases and leases of property. Bought our first property which was a PPOR for 9 months - then posted again.

25 years ago
At university finishing the Arts part of the combined Arts\law degree. Just starting to learn what a mortgage was all about.

Back further school etc

thanks

Last edited:
Thought I'd start a thread to see where people were a wee while back property-wise, and to see the progress as time ticks by.

To kick it off ;

Now :.............. Reasonably comfy, still working though.
5 years ago :.... Just bought our current PPoR. Looking at getting into commercial.
10 years ago :.. Just paid off our first PPoR. Two rental IP's giving us many headaches.
15 years ago :.. Gathering the deposit for the first IP.
20 years ago :.. Looking at a rural block. Decided I couldn't afford it.

Howzabout yous guys ??
now..just waking up each morning and wondering how it all happened..
5 years ago.learning more about the worldwide sharemarkets,and picking up the rents..full time home dad:rolleyes:..
10 years..bought several low end run down properties that no one wanted in the inner southside,for less than the previous sellers paid for them 7 years prior..
15 years ago..paid off the ppor and holding 2 rental properties..
20 years,working 90 hours a week in my own small plumbing business
and living on 25 acres by myself out the back of the gold coast with 3 dogs ,meet my wife on a plane comming back from 2 weeks in germany best day of my life when the plane company changed my set and upgrade my seat to first class,i married up she married down.. willair..

Now :.............Sitting on 9 clear titles, watching the storm and pondering on life, the universe and everything.....

5 years ago :....Established portfolio and land with DA - focusing on increasing yields via renovations and good management.

10 years ago :..Frustrated with treadmill and getting absolutely nowhere - attended first seminar and bought ip no.2

15 years ago :.. With GoMichael - 1 ip and PPOR - lots of equity, no clue/plan

20 years ago :.. Single, old Gemini and $1K in the bank - felt loaded!

Looking back...

Now..

Waiting for tomorrow to settle on my first property - ppor for 6 months for FHOG then turn it into an IP. Thinking about renovations to add value and thinking of getting a 2nd IP. Left idiot, but glad he helped me see property investing will help me retire earlier. More excited about taking a break from work.

2 years ago - met an idiot that spends alot that made me realise I will have to save a deposit for a home to be together.

5 years ago - Uni/working - spending like there's no tomorrow: best lesson ever! Made me sit down and learn about budgeting, finances, and shares - wasn't interested in property though :/

10 years ago - Left high school without a plan for the future.

Funny how life's road twists..

Now - Comfortable could retire but we aren't 55 yet so can't access Super and anyway I want to switch Super into SMSF first. Helping daughter into her first PPOR, son in own PPOR.

Looking to get back into share market normally classed a trader but looking at purchasing a high percentage return dividend share eg. GUD not a real mover but returning 10%. Margin Loan interest about 10% too.

2003 PPOR, cash buffer, part time work, share trading.

1998 New PPOR, cash, part time work- thinking about learning about the share market as Husband had brought Telstra shares.

[See Change wrote in another thread - don't invest in anything you don't understand or control, well we were invested in TLS and I didn't understand, didn't have control eg. didn't know how to sell shares - so set about learning about sharemarket]

1993 PPOR, built speculative house for sale, working full time shiftwork with 2 children.

Regards
Sheryn

Now - sitting on 6 IP's with LVR < 70%. Looking for more deals.

3 Months ago - Bought IP #6

8 Momths ago - Bought IP #5

12 Months ago - Bought IP #4

15 Months ago - Bought IP #3

18 Months ago - Bought IP #2.

19 Months ago - Got divorced.

2 years ago - Started working on investment mindset and putting together a plan. Shares weren't looking like the place I wanted to put my money. The Adelaide property market looked like it was ready to wake up and start fighting in it's own weight division, for a change.

3 years ago - Read some books on abundance mindset and started to change the one thing I had control over - ME and the way I thought. Managed to pay off some big credit card debts and accumulated a healthy bank balance selling stuff on eBay.

5 years ago - separated. No plan. No clue.

8 Years ago - Bought IP #1 with (then) wife. P&I loan (WRONG). 40% deposit (WRONG).

23 years ago - Got married. Told I was no good with investments, money or financial planning. All money to go to OTH bank account and all major financial decisions to be made by her.

What a great idea Daz!! I also can't get over how many people younger than me are on this site...that is just so cool...and I thought I was clued up!! Go guys!!

NOW: Set up a new Project Marketing company in Hervey Bay. Bought "big family home" (had to sell IP in Brissy and home in UK so perhaps a sideways step but hope i bought well this time????) had first child...loving it!
5 Years ago: Just emigrated, had 1.5 years off with my wife to be travelling Europe and Australia....mum my early risks did pay off!!
10 Years ago: Can't remember which home i was on - probably 2 maybe 3 but never owned an IP. Always bought a PPOR and reno'd and traded up. Worked for me!!
15 years ago: In uni being silly - isn't that what you do at uni?? Didn't know it yet but was just about to start working in RE and buy my first home....would never have guessed cos i was massively in debt and knew nothing about property!
20 Years ago: up to mischief...look at my name!

Now:
Looking forward to my next IP to be constructed on block of land settling next month. Very much a newbie in investing in general. Have got heaps to learn and find somersoft one of the best places.

5 years ago
Just completed Uni. and started working full time. Didn't think of investing at all at that time. Only concentrated on doing well at work and progressing in career ASAP.

10-15-20 years ago
N/A

Cheers,
Oracle.

Now : Comfortable, with a sizable portfolio in decent condition with low debt and stable tenants, providing a reasonable income. Planning to build a new PPOR. Still playing the stockmarket, albeit carefully. Husband still working though.

5 years ago : More buying, renovating, some selling. Still into shares.

10 years ago : Returned from OS with a nice lump sum and a brand new plan after a lightbulb moment (and lots of reading). Started collecting IPs needing TLC, concentrating on blue collar areas. Intense period of renovations, wishing I had started at a younger age :p. Diversified into shares to provide a reno slush fund.

15 years ago : Both working OS, saving like crazy, paid off PPOR.

20 years ago : Purchased PPOR 3 years prior after virtually scraping up a deposit, both working in "normal" jobs.

cheers

Great thread, Dazz - and some interesting posts!

Now: Cruising along. Investments going nicely. Girls have all left home, so there's much more spare cash! :) Trying to talk hubby into retiring - he thinks about it (for 5 seconds) and admits he's too addicted to give it up yet.

5 Years Ago: Got back into property investing - second time around. Figured that if we were going to get serious, then I'd better learn as much as I can.

10 Years Ago: Retired. Running our share/investment portfolio.

15 Years Ago: Dabbling in shares & having fun.

20 Years Ago: Decided property investing wasn't for us - final straw was 42 dead flies on the lounge room window sill of IP ( ... still can't believe that I let that put me off for soooo long ... :()

And since Pushka has also posted ...

30 Years Ago: Got married!!! Bought first PPOR (later became IP). Started moving around the country for hubby's work (a la Ian and Jan Somers) and got into property investing by accident - knew absolutely nothing about it!

Cheers
LynnH

hmm racking my brain trying to remember my life

Now - still VERY happily married to the best man in the world. Stay home and basically live the life I want- 7 IP's and sleeping better at night knowing I have them.

5 Years ago - Just married to my wonderful husband. Working - 3 IP's (he was the one that showed me how to build wealth through buying property and we did it all together!!) and wondering if this really is the best way to build wealth to retirement but the back of my mind was saying YES, keep going!!

10 Years ago - Single just out of a five year useless relationship. Purchased my first ever property in the world. A little house in Western Sydney for myself and my son for $118,000. Worked 3 jobs to get it and my only thought was to pay that one house off and keep working until I was 65.

15 Years ago - In the final throws of a very unhappy marriage where we rented and lived pay to pay. I thought there had to be a better way but just couldn't see how at that time.

20 Years ago - In the early days of what would become my unhappy marriage and thinking life wasn't so bad as long as you had enough to pay the rent, buy the food and clothing and pay the bills. I don't need anymore that this!!:rolleyes:

Well that is me. As you can see I love PI as it has changed my life completely and given me the freedom to choose how I live. My husband and I are a great team and we believe together we can achieve anything!!

Back