What would you do if you didn' work?

I read a few posts here about when people would like to be financially free.

If you earnt enough from your investments, what would you do?

Society really is not set up for "young" retirees. (we are both 48). There is only so many "coffees with the girls" you can do. (i manage that with a bunch of SS'ers every 2nd Friday)

We both really ony HAVE to work 2 days a week now, just to keep a tight eye on the businesses, but we have chosen to work more pretty much for something to do.

So.... Have you retired and managed to fill your days ?

For the past two years I've been working three days a week (that often turns into four and even a weekend shift if someone calls in sick). Without that, I tend to sit here on the computer way too much.

Since end of December last year until last weekend, we were busy renovating two IPs that came empty. One we did a gut job on and did new kitchen, bathroom, closed in doorways, opened up walls, other "behind the scenes" work like propping up a sunken patio (builder and engineer did this).

While we were in the thick of that, another IP was vacated. We were going to do a major reno there (new second bathroom downstairs, new kitchen) but a family issue arose that caused us a rethink, so we put in a new kitchen, painted through and re-rented it.

Between these I volunteered hubby to help a friend with a two day job of getting a pool house ready to be let. That turned into a major job due to white ant damage, and there seemed to be more things added to the "to do" list each day. I have to say it caused some angst between us and was quite unhealthy for our relationship for the duration, but it is over now.

Most of this work is done by hubby, but I do a lot of physical work too. I do all the organising. I think until last weekend, hubby had possibly two days off. I don't know how he does it.

So, for the past four months, we've not had time to scratch ourselves, and thankfully I was able to say to my boss that I was happy to not have much work at my "job" while our renovations were taking up so much time.

Now things have settled down, hubby is over at his mother's house doing maintenance and "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic". Someone will bulldoze her house one day but she cannot see that and gets him to do stupid stuff. Of course, he does it because she is his mother and knows that she will continue to manipulate him whether he likes it or not.

When not working, we pop out for late breakfasts, toddle about looking at antique shops or similar stuff. It is good to have a balance. Hubby will go for a bike ride with a neighbour once a week if they are both free.

I have no idea if this will sustain us long term, but at 53 (this month) and 54, it pleases us right now. We just have to adapt as life throws things at us.

We are financially free (32) - with a passive income from property.

We are moving overseas to train and get super fit, and I'll run a few businesses for fun.

Who knows what we will end up doing - but for now it's a joy to not have to worry about money or work.

I think once it's all kicked in, we will find plenty to keep ourselves occupied. But I'll keep you posted!

Combination of philanthropic activities, endless learning and seeing/experiencing as much of earth (and beyond, once space tourism is viable) and its life as possible.

If by then I meet the right woman I guess I will have a child. On my 2 weeks RDO I just relax and travel when I want to do something new, I can't really seeing that change much if I gave up working. Retiring from the job is not my goal tho as I like the lifestyle it gives me already.

When I give up the rat race I'll still be developing so that will keep me out of too much mischief. I'll keep doing that as long as it interests me and I can make a buck out of it.
I envision spending a lot more time with the kids - it will be nice to have school holidays with them and be able to do more family trips.
I'll probably do some Tafe study - I really want to get my Cert IV in Residential Drafting which I could turn into a Diploma of Building Design or Diploma of Building and Construction

http://www.central.wa.edu.au/Courses/Documents/Central Building Design Drafting Courses.pdf

If I was retired, with some cash to burn, I'd catch a lot more fish.

A bit like Robson Green but hopefully less of a tosser.

I'd eat a lot of tasty foreign food too. But until then, I'll eat sandwiches and watch fishing on youtube.

I would spend more consistent time doing fitness stuff, volunteering, and would also fit in a nap every afternoon :D

That said, I would probably keep working part time (2 or 3 days a week) if at all possible - I really enjoy my job and I like my coworkers, plus it would keep my skills up to date and provide social interaction.

Become a personal trainer, open my own gym, make knives, do my own developments (need a bit more knowledge for that at the moment), do a ton of tafe courses teachinh me to work with my hands.

I think I would have the opposite issue in that there is so much I want to do and I'm not sure how I'd fit it all in. I would love to travel a lot, spend more time on freelance journalism/writing, do volunteer work, write a book(s), run a few hobby businesses, maybe do a Masters degree, etc etc :p

I'm with Cimbom, there's so many things I'd like to do and so little time to fit it all in. I'd like to travel extensively, and to do long distance hiking in particular. Six month Himalayan Trail, walk a couple of European (extreme) long distance paths like the E1 and E3 and too many more to mention.

Add some volunteering, take a photography course at RMIT, do an arts degree just for fun, learn to ski like a pro... the real list is very long!

I think I'd still continue being involved with property, I enjoy it.

I seriously do not get the 'if I didn't work, I'd be bored outta my mind' mentality. I left employed work a little bit ago to become a full time contractor. Aside from the contracting, my days are full to the brim. In fact, I find it hard to get everything that I want done, done.

I've always felt that if you don't work and money isn't an issue and you're *still* bored, then you lead a pretty boring life. I'm having trouble finding the time to do everything I want to do, I don't know how people manage with a full time job, there's too much life to be lived, to be stuck at work.

I would be creating and developing homes/workplaces/communities, traveling more and spending more time running various different workshops and events in the community.

The first one I currently do at the moment, just that it's for other people/developers/clients and not for myself. I don't see the fun in reaching financial freedom simply for the sake of retiring, it seems like a cliche and non-worthy goal IMO.

:cool:Lol joanmc do ya reckon we could all find something to bitc*...i mean talk about every week? ....yeah we probably could :D

I kind of thought there would be lots of " i would train lots" ... I have to admit i am a bit if a couch potato .. :rolleyes:

Travel.... I love it ...hubby not so much...i manage an OS jaunt most years and MAKE him get on a plane to somewhere in Aus a couple of times a year.

Nice to hear what others would do.

I seriously do not get the 'if I didn't work, I'd be bored outta my mind' mentality. I left employed work a little bit ago to become a full time contractor. Aside from the contracting, my days are full to the brim. In fact, I find it hard to get everything that I want done, done.

I've always felt that if you don't work and money isn't an issue and you're *still* bored, then you lead a pretty boring life. I'm having trouble finding the time to do everything I want to do, I don't know how people manage with a full time job, there's too much life to be lived, to be stuck at work.

I guess i lead a boring life :cool: (although i wouldnt say money isnt an issue) What do you to fill your days to the brim?

It all depends on how much of your time and energy your work eats up.

I don't think i would have ever chosen a job that consumes my life to the extent that i have to wait till retirement to do the things I like. Not for too long anyway.

My work hours are full time but I have 15 days off per 28 day month, 3 months off per year and can take up to a few months off on LSL at any time.

So in my case I probably wouldn't do anything too different although I think I'd have to find something that replaces that structure work provides otherwise I could end up a bit on the lazy side - like sleeping in and putting things off because there's always tomorrow.

Oh hang on... I do that now :eek:.

I'm with Mr Fab here ... I haven't been in "paid" employment for nearly 12 years now and don't understand how anyone has time to go to work ... I barely have time for a girlfriend lunch once every 2 months!

Back