What would you do if you didn't have to work???

A couple of years ago I took 7 months off between overseas contracts. My friends said I would get bored pretty quick - yeah right! I never got bored.

I think there's two sides to this: The HA888 side where you spend days in pusuit of leisure, and the Dazzling/Alex days which are spent pursuing business/investing/doing something constuctive.

For the latter I would invisage myself running some sort of business - one that doesn't take all my time but is enough to challenge me. It may be based around property, maybe something else.

In terms of the leisure days - which may be stretches of 6 weeks - my ideal day may be something like:

Wake up at 8am in the back of my Land Rover somewhere in the middle of the Simpson Desert. My partner and 4 month old daughter (I guess she'll be older by the this time though) are still asleep.

Get up and put the coffee pot on the fire, short walk to the top of the adjacent sand dune to enjoy the sun coming up and think about what I want to achieve today. Sit down and have my coffee whilst downloading yesterday's share price data on my laptop via the satellite/HF broadband connection, check my trading system to see that the portfolio put on $50k yesterday - not bad.

Spend the morning around camp, reading, walking, planning the next leg of our trip. Afternoon, push-on over the sand dunes towards the next place of interest....

DSC01751.jpg

This is such an interesting thread, to see peoples different aims and objectives, its great.

My husband and I did the 5 to 10 year plan, we worked toward what we would do in retirement, we bought the townhouse in Yorkeys Knob (Cairns), we had it all planned, we were to take 3 months each year up in Cairns, away from the cold, go there during the winter, renovate the townhouse in the first year (2005), then work through each of our properties up there each year renovating and taking our time, Alan wanted us to get a scooter each up there so we had transport we could pop into the shed, and we could hire a car to do our exploring, we knew exactly what we were going to do, how we would fill our days.

I was 3 days from the end of my final contract in March 2005 when Alan died. It was unexpected, it was tragic. One of those terrible accidental things that you never expect. (The older SS's are aware of what happened but for the newbies - He took an anti inflammatory that he was allergic to and did not know and died in 15 minutes)

So then what....I left my job and mulled over various ideas for 3 months trying to work out what out what the hell do I do now. We had just started renovating a Melbourne house, and had another half done, the townhouse in Cairns still needed renovating,I needed to visit my mentally disabled brother in law, in a care home, on a regular basis in Melbourne, he was suffering from the loss of his brother and needed reassurance that he still had family around him, I needed to visit my mother in the UK on a regular basis, by then she was suffering from bad dementia. My son was missing his father desperately, he used to talk to him every day.

So, first things first, within two weeks of Als death, I got stuck into the Melbourne reno and painted it like you would not believe, by then I was angry and used that anger to paint. I finished that reno in record time and relet it straight away. The other major reno, I realised was too big for me at that time, so I auctioned the house as it was and got an amazing price for it, which gave me the means to survive and pay my bills and support BIL and help son.

I organised for BIL's needs to be taken care of for a few weeks, and took my son across to the UK, asking him where in the world he had always wanted to visit, it turned out to be a special gallery in Lausanne, Switzerland, so to give him something to look forward to, I booked that and we took off to the Uk then by train to Switzerland and back via Paris so he could visit the various galleries there. We sent BIL loads of postcards and phoned him regularly.

On our return I started the townhouse renovation, flying to Cairns every two weeks and back to Melbourne every two weeks. It took a while but the reno got completed and I got to stay in the townhouse on and off for a few months.

Since then I have got my act together, reviewed all the properties, sold some, bought others with better cash flow to give me a regular income over the $100k pa. I have managed to combine my obligations with a reasonably good life, working when I want to both here in Aus and overseas.

Sorry this is so longwinded but I just wanted to state the obvious that is - have a fallback plan!!!

Good luck for 2008 to all

Chris

I haven't thought up of any detailed plans yet, but basically, I want to do the followings:

1. Travel for 2-6mths, and will do a trip every 2-3 yrs.
2. Volunteering work, might get involved in NGO fulltime, and travel to different parts of the world to help out the root community in need.
3. Set up my own laboratory and continue my research in uni, without having to worry about getting the funding from the government. Will do some lecturing as well.

I don't know if there's something wrong with me, but I find it very hard to answer simple questions such as this. Had the same problem with another thread here asking 'what is luxury for you?'

I would like to hear what else people would do, and please, let's leave the "I like my job" out of this....:D

That's impossible for me as I truly love my job. However if I had the resources and had to leave my job, I'd love to work overseas again. The 6 years I spent in Papua New Guinea and China were the most satisfying times of my life.

My Day, (if in Australia somewhere like Shoalwater Bay or Princess Charlotte Bay)

Wake up and have some tea/coffee and some fresh fish (caught yesterday)

Jump in dinghy and blast up the nearby creek and empty crab pots and re-set. On the way back throw a few lures at likely spots for Barra, Estuary cod or Mangrove Jack.

Go past boat and drop off crab's and zot out to nearby reef and do a lap for some Mackeral or coral Trout,

Back to boat and cook up some Salt and pepper fish for lunch (with cold beer's)

Sit back and watch a DVD during the hot part of the day, probably have a splash in the blow up pool under the Gazebo on the foredeck to cool off (with cold beer's).

Jump in dinghy, zip over to nearby rocky outcrop and get some monster Black Lip Oysters, maybe cast a few lures around after some nice estuary cod.

Check crab pots again and re-set.

Swap a bottle of home brew rum with the trawler guys for a couple of KG of fresh prawns.

Back to boat, flop in pool again, a couple more cold beers progressing into a couple of Rumbo's as the sun sets.

Flash up the BBQ and have some Fresh oysters with a squeeze of lime followed by chilli and coconut Mud crab/Prawns.

Sit up front and watch the light show from all the stars that one sees away from the big city.

After a couple of days/weeks up anchor and move to next spot.

Once a month put into a marina berth to get email facilities, and run the still to make more booze, get shopping, fill up water, get more outboard fuel and diesel if required.

Then out to the reef and tropical island to do a similar thing replacing MudCrab with fresh Crayfish.

We are 2 years from this actually being reality.

South East Asia version would be similar with lots of land based activity and Massage thrown in for good measure.

Dave

I don't know if there's something wrong with me, but I find it very hard to answer simple questions such as this. Had the same problem with another thread here asking 'what is luxury for you?'

I actually enjoy thread like this and the luxury one - it gives me insights and ideas on what people's Dreams are. I make it a point at my office to ask my staff similar questions (i.e. if you had the financial resources, what would you do?).

Sometimes, if the idea sounds interesting, I will go and try it. I tell them I am going off to "try their Dream" :) Most times I come back saying, "Look, it was nice but wasn't quite for me..." but at least I had tried it. :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Id just become a raging alcoholic,
get out of bed around noon, head to the shops for another flaggen, repeat the cycle ;]

On second thoughts.. maybe I wouldnt do that after all...

I dont know what Id do with myself, probarbly wish I was poor again so I had to go to work every day.

I haven't had a chance to do some real travelling, I'm planning to do that in retirement, but will obviously be hard with future kids & family.

Maybe find a nice pad on the beach with internet access and a phone line, maybe play the share market or forex everyday?

I picture my Mrs, naked except a white see through robe an... oops sorry mind is wandering...

I'd suggest my ultimate goal is to look after my investments, spend time with my family and do the things during the day which i've never had the time to do previously.

I already do what the first poster does, with my job.

If I didnt have to work at all.. I'd be going to Uni to do a Vet science degree then going to Africa to work in wild animal hospitals. In between doing that I'd run my own cat rescue center at home oh and take the occasional Hawaiian vacation :D

Hang on thats not a dream, thats what I will be doing oneday...

I actually enjoy thread like this and the luxury one - it gives me insights and ideas on what people's Dreams are. I make it a point at my office to ask my staff similar questions (i.e. if you had the financial resources, what would you do?).

Sometimes, if the idea sounds interesting, I will go and try it. I tell them I am going off to "try their Dream" :) Most times I come back saying, "Look, it was nice but wasn't quite for me..." but at least I had tried it. :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

You tease....:mad: :)

I also enjoy my job and would be hard pressed finding something I would enjoy doing more. I work fulltime over three days so have a lot of time to pursue lesure activities or interests however give me too much unstructured time and I become disorganized and ineffective at managing my time (this makes me feel like crap) which is why I spread my 3mths off per year rather than take it all in one go. I'm not a lunchy person and I've done a fair bit of o/s travel in the past that I am now more than happy doing the more mundane and simple things like relaxing domestic type family holidays, getting involved with my childrens activities and helping out with their clubs and at school doing picnics and going to the beach. You really don't need much money at all for all those things just some time and good friends to do them with. And btw Y- Man my work day sounds much like yours.

I'll never retire, retirement kills your drive and suffocates your flame of life.

However, I can see that at the beginning of 2010 I will have slid into a Job share arrangement with my current employer, which would see me fly in/fly out on a 2wks on/4wks off basis. This will see me do paid work for about 12 weeks in a year taking leave into account. I will do this because I believe that drastic changes to one's lifestyle could be detrimental and I have seen to many people seriously decide that the end is nigh when they knock off.

Before my first swing, the little lady and I will head to the USA where we will purchase a luxury RV (38 -40 ft) and travel the Americas for about 4 months cutting out the long service and other accumulated days off on full pay. At the end of this we will ship the RV back to Aus to become our PPOR for a couple of years while we cruise this great country of ours. Flying to work every 4 weeks and giving ourselves a bit of a spell from each other.

During out travels we will look for and find development blocks and build a couple of duplexes or dual occs, just to keep the juices flowing. Probably two a year, maybe sell one and keep one if the cash flow requires it.

Then by about 2015, we may have found where it is that we want to call home or maybe we will just move into an IP in a different state every couple of years...........because we can.

So, that is, loosely, the plan. Nothing set in concrete because like life itself, things evolve and we adjust.

In the meantime, I'm having a whale of a time getting there.

If you don't take life and yourself too seriously, it is great to be alive.:D:D

Have happy and safe silly season.:D

Cheers Chrisv.

I keep getting asked this question...so, lets assume my current pay (plus a bit more) is supplemented somehow, I've formulated a response:

1. Wake up around 8.00am...mozy on down to my local gym/pool and do a hour/1.5hr session...
2. Get home around 10ish, have breky and check my shares..
3. Do a bit of gardening, go for a swim in my pool, or go and get a massage, depending on how I feel that particular day.
4. Lunch out with mates....
5. Get on my Ducati and do a nice 2 hour ride in the afternoon, play with my future kids who I just picked up from private school (who I can finally really "afford"), coach little athletics, donate my time, etc.
6. Prepare dinner, or eat out and go and watch a movie..
7. Day's over....nice and cosy...:)

Repeat 1,000,000 times OR...take a trip now and again...Tasmania, New Zealand, Europe occasionally, Bali, list goes on...this is my ideal...

I would like to hear what else people would do, and please, let's leave the "I like my job" out of this....:D

Hi HA888,

I'm a bit like you when it comes to being a bit lazy. I read your perfect day and thought 'that's pretty darn fine', particularily the late breaky, 2 hr Duc ride and the movie.

My perfect day would be somewhat similar but it would be more like a perfect week (due to a day not being long enough) to fit in all hobbies/interests passions.

It would likely include some of the following though;
dirt biking/road biking; sailing; suba diving; lunch/dinner with friends (the ones i know will also be Financially independant!); for exercise maybe gym work out and swim or run, bike ride, walk etc; lots of lovely expresso coffee whilst reading the paper with wife; romantic dinner with wife watching the sunsert whereever we may be etc etc etc.

We are already avid traveller and will be looking to increase travel from the current average of 6 weeks a year up to around 3-4 months a year.

Jase

I'd go to every concert I could including Jimmy Barnes, Kate Cebrano, Spics and Specs Live, Various concerts held at the wineries, Help out at school, have the best garden and vege patch in the suburb, propagate plants, Save bushland and native animals (Steve Irwin style), Travel, fishing at the beach, surf the net, eat out often, if I'm ever bored hold dinner parties. Charity work through red cross. Fly to different states and go to corney Kareoko Bars, Take singing and piano lessons. Train my dog some new tricks. Work sucks!

last year, i spent 7months working a bit in London and travelling throughout Europe. I absoluletly loved it. I had to eventually come home bc i wasn;t making enough money there.
So if money wasn't an issue....i'd love to work maybe 6 months of the year, and spend the rest of the 6 months travelling or trying new things like teachign english overseas, volunteer projects overseas.
I dont think i could just not work at all.....i would struggle to find things to fill my time.....but if i was to work 3 days a week, that would be perfect, i would enjoy my job more and have time to pursue other interests.

Back