What would you do if your property is being targetted by vandals?

Hi there

I mentioned in one of the other threads that we had been notified by our tenant in the ACT that our property had been targetting by brick throwing vandals determined to break glass. The glass is specially laminated - is very large - and whilst it has cracked - it hasn't broken.

Well they were back again this morning for another try! It has cracked further and still not broken.

We have been in contact with the insurer and glazier to replace the glass at the property but given its size and location - it will require scaffolding to replace - which is problematic around this time of the year (as most businesses are closing for the Christmas break).

The concern from the tenant is - what if they come back again? apparently ours is not the only property targetted again.

The police have been advised on both occasions and nothing more done than given a reference number.

What would you do? We have contacted a security firm to review the property and suggest options - a dog won't be an answer because it is at the front of the property.

For those of you who have had problems - what did you do - and did it resolve the problems?

thanks in advance for your review and comments

We had one that we eventually sold for the same reason, although I am assuming that yours is a much better property. Ours was a little cheapie in another State. It was surrounded by some unsavoury neighbours and the kids had nothing to do. So they cured their boredom by throwing rocks at my IP.:eek: It happened more than once and the PM had said that she had made complaints not only to the police, but the Housing Department as well. Apparently the youths involved were well known, but there was nothing that could be done because they were juveniles. Decided, in the circumstances, it was much better to cut our losses and move on.

Hi there
yes all options are being considered seriously!
apparently one of the schools has had 20 windows broken - surely bored people could find something better to do!
thanks

I personally think all vandals and graffiti artists should be given a Government-sponsored World Of Warcraft subscription and a computer to run it. They'd never leave the house again. Would probably be cheaper than juvenile detention too.

I live near a welfare town with similar issues, every single vacant building (and there's a lot of these) has broken windows, and whoever owns them is very slow at boarding them up.

Very large spotlight with motion sensor on each corner at front of house. Last thing the little buggers want is to be seen.

Very large spotlight with motion sensor on each corner at front of house. Last thing the little buggers want is to be seen.

Won't work if they are of the same calibre as the ones that were doing it to mine. These kids were well known to the police and the Housing Department. They're parents were well aware of what they were up to as well. They used to do it in broad daylight and not give a flying fig who saw them.

I saw grafiti in one house I recently bought. the house was vandalised and tagged(graffiti). I looked up the tags on the net and found the myspace page for two of the vandals. I was going to go to Police but I doubt that would be a good idea with an insurance case in the background. If I found them I dont see why the cops cant do anything about them. Would love to burn their house so they can see how it feels(with no one in it ofcourse).

It would depend on the neighbourhood (and yes I've lived in some pretty bad ones as a kid).

If it was an ok to good neighbourhood, I would be very tempted to figure out whether there was a pattern to when the attacks were occurring, and to wait out for them one night, and deal with it myself. Kids will find an easier target. Be sure to take an ID off each kid (whatever you can get) and tell them that if they ever come back, or if anything ever happens to your property, that you know where they live.

If it's a bad neighbourhood, sell the property and move on.

Hi there
it is quite a reasonable neighbourhood and I haven't heard of anything like this occurring before.
Not quite sure that it is kids because on the first occasion - according to our sources - 9 properties were hit in adjoining suburbs in a short period of time - which suggests a drive by attack.
I am hoping they catch these people soon because it has our tenants on edge - and nobody should have to put up with that
thanks

usually grafiti tags are a very unique name/word/acronym.
If you can read the tag (helps if you know someone who's into that sort of thing), then you can punch it into google or myspace or facebook, and do some bounty hunting.

Then you can hire Chuck Norris to take care of them.

You will have no more problems. Ever.

I would be very tempted to wait out for them one night, and deal with it myself. Kids will find an easier target. Be sure to take an ID off each kid (whatever you can get)

VY.....I presume you recommend "dealing with it" before they swing the cricket bat and connect with the soft upper cranio plate in your head ??

Then your relatives can ponder with the DPP whether it was in fact the cricket bat or the bitumen when you fell that actually killed you.....makes a massive difference apparently.

Raddles....you seem to know the law, does this clearly fall under your responsibility remit ??

Hi there
well apparently the police have finally attended the property - so maybe something will start to happen -
Mary Sue - not quite sure what your question is intended to ask - our responsibility as a landlord is to try and ensure our tenants have quiet possession of the property - we have to try and remove any problems from the use of the property.
We have been very concerned about the stability of the window pending repairs being undertaken - the fact that the vandals have been back for a second go is of particular concern - as unfortunately there is nothing we can do to hasten the repairs - it is special heat resistant laminate glass that has to be replaced - it has to be ordered in and will require a number of people on a scaffold to install - we are talking about glass that is 2100 x 5000 - it is no easy repair.
We are self managing so the buck does stop with us - and we obviously don't want another family being attacked as they are and having the stress at a time which is meant to be about peace and goodwill.
thanks

If it was an ok to good neighbourhood, I would be very tempted to figure out whether there was a pattern to when the attacks were occurring, and to wait out for them one night, and deal with it myself. Kids will find an easier target. Be sure to take an ID off each kid (whatever you can get) and tell them that if they ever come back, or if anything ever happens to your property, that you know where they live.

QUOTE]

Following on from Sue comment .

What happens when their Dad and uncles come round to see you ? They know where you're property is....

What happens if one of them falls over , hits their head and dies of a subdural haematoma as per David Hookes ?

Do you want to end up in hospital or a jail over an IP ?

Cliff

Hi there
I am not advocating anyone become a vigilante - but do want to assist the police in their job.
We are considering security cameras - both dummy and real - to act as a deterrent and perhaps assist in identifying the culprits. It is possible that the people responsible for our damage have also hit the local schools - and that cannot be condoned.
thanks

VY.....I presume you recommend "dealing with it" before they swing the cricket bat and connect with the soft upper cranio plate in your head ??

Then your relatives can ponder with the DPP whether it was in fact the cricket bat or the bitumen when you fell that actually killed you.....makes a massive difference apparently.

Raddles....you seem to know the law, does this clearly fall under your responsibility remit ??

There are ways of dealing with this. The idea is not to beat the kids up, but rather leave them with sufficient fear that if anything else happens the outcome will be severe, as well as a clear path in their head as to how the outcome will be achieved.

I went to a fairly violent highschool, and have lived in some well dodgy neighbourhoods in my time. This is about psychology, not violence. That said, it is not something you would generally attempt alone, regardless of how hard you are (or think you are).

I have used this method once, very effectively.

Back