What would you tell Centrelink?

Also makes me wonder why someone with 6 kids on centerlink has trouble paying the rent.

Its not that they have trouble paying it - its just that they can't be bothered paying it as most of them know they can't be kicked out in a hurry. Rent payments aren't considered to be a high priority unlike their Foxtel payments which come at the top of the list.

I'm generalising of course, but you get the picture.

Pity its not like the good old days of slumlords when you could rock up the day the rent was due and physically boot them out the door yourself if they couldn't pay it.

Its not that they have trouble paying it - its just that they can't be bothered paying it as most of them know they can't be kicked out in a hurry. Rent payments aren't considered to be a high priority unlike their Foxtel payments which come at the top of the list.

I'm generalising of course, but you get the picture.

Pity its not like the good old days of slumlords when you could rock up the day the rent was due and physically boot them out the door yourself if they couldn't pay it.

Spot on Natmarie! In many cases like with my tenants, they choose not to pay the rent.

It's amazing how they couldn't seem to pay a rent of $180pw, but when a tribunal orders fortnightly payments of $450 or face immediate eviction - all of a sudden they can pay. :rolleyes:

That's where we disagree. I don't think it's to help with 'costs'. It is to help with rent. Hence rental assistance. It's not intended to be used for anything else, otherwise it would be called a 'General Costs Assistance' or something like that. Although people are obviously free to do what ever they want with it once they get it and there lies the issue.

eg. someone gets $100pw rent asistance when their rent is $200pw.

But if they fall behind, rather than the LL receiving at least the Rental Assistance share of the rent at the end of the month ie. $430 - they receive nothing. My point is, this money was intended for rent but was spent elsewhere. If they need help in other areas as well then that's fine, I have no problem with that - give them extra benefits for the relevant needs/rights. But at the risk of getting repetitive; rental assistance - enough said.

You can diasgree all you like Steve, it is the way it is. That Centrlinek will pay them extra money based on the amoun thtye have to fork out for rent

- end of story.

Centrelink is not a policeman - they do not pay Gas / Electricity / Phpne / nor even Havery Norman 600000mth interest free mthly payments. So, in line with this, they do not make payments to landloards jsut to ensur ethe tneant wont be irresponsible & spend their money.

This is the game we are in & these are the rules - accept them & work out a way to minimise your risk, but that's all you can do.

Or you could join politics & change this damn gross misjustcie, the worst out off things in this country of ours... nothing else is worng at all in Aust whchih needscould be improved but this...

You have mentioned nearly all your tenants are good despite being on thewe benfeits, so why are you so hung up about this issue when it affects you so little ?

Or you could join politics & change this damn gross misjustcie, the worst out off things in this country of ours... nothing else is worng at all in Aust whchih needscould be improved but this...

You have mentioned nearly all your tenants are good despite being on thewe benfeits, so why are you so hung up about this issue when it affects you so little ?

LOL, I'm not hung up at all mate! I just made a quick post to get opinions on my letter (which is already gone), but if people comment/ask questions I respond and debate.

I'm actually really happy at the moment and couldn't care less about it. The tenant I didn't want is gone, bond and insurance will cover pretty much all of the expenses and what's left over is tax deductible, I'm getting more money each week from the new tenant, business is going brilliantly depsite retail spending apparently being down in Aust. Life is good. ;)

I'm too happy making money and enjoying life to get caught up in politics and changing the 'misjustice' - it is what it is, there's no point in whinging. Which is why I took all of 5 mins on my letter mainly to cause her to possibly get some extra scrutiny for the next few months at her Centrelink meetings. I know nothing will change, and don't really care. But as always, I'm happy to spend time on SS discussing issues, and this one has turned into scumbag tenants who don't feel they need to pay rent.

Soundied like you were getting pretty annoyed about it earlier on mate

glad you are enjoying your riches (?)

Don't confuse my annoyance with bludgers etc as annoyance with the situation with my IP. As I said, pretty much no loss to me - better tenants, higher rent, 6 days vacancy and insurance co. paying the difference. Not really much to get annoyed about is there? I was actually quite happy, my annoyance is with people in society like that, whom I normally don't have much contact with out of choice.

But to be honest Jaycee, feeling the need to justify/explain myself to you in this thread is starting to annoy me and I don't particularly like your tone, so this will be my last response to you in this thread.

Back