Whats Compulsory - Solar Hot Water or Water Tanks?

Guys, just need clarification as I'm at the stage of choosing my Builder for contruction of 3 Units.

From memory is it correct that in VIC it's compulsory for all new construction to have one of either Solar Hot Water OR Rain Water Tanks.....is this correct?

I've been quoted $3200 fully fitted for each Rain Water Tank (inc Pump and all labour) and I'm thinking this is a bit steep, but I could be wrong......does anyone know?

As I'm flicking these Units off after 12 months, I want to try and save a bit of money and see if Solar Hot Water system for each would be a cheaper alternative and I would still satisfy the Law etc?

TIA

how big are the tanks?
you can get some from bunnings for about 800 i reckon and install it yourself just get the plumber to connect it to the pipes
also not sure but you used to get a $200 rebate on any water tank over 1000L weather it is connected or not and up to $800 if connected you will have to look that up though

Not sure about Vic, but in NSW rebates are for existing dwellings. New builds, where they are mandated as part of the build conditions, do not attract rebates.

Your talking basix here, I thought that units/townhouses/villas are generally exempt from water efficiency requirements. Now that makes a lot of sense considering that more than half of new dwellings are units.

Just check with your certifier.

30 seconds on Yahoo.

http://www.water.vic.gov.au/saving/home/rainwater/tank-rebates

Water Tank Rebates

Rainwater tanks can save up to 40,000 litres per household per year.

The Living Victoria Water Rebate Program rewards Victorian households and small businesses for purchasing water-efficient products and appliances, thereby reducing their water consumption.

Eligibility

Eligible households who have purchased and installed a rainwater tank between 1 July 2011 and 30 June 2013 are eligible for a rebate of up to $1000.

The rainwater tank rebates are based on the size of the tank and whether or not the tank is connected to the toilet and/or laundry facilities.

To be eligible for a rebate:

all rainwater tanks must be installed by a licensed plumbing practitioner.
a PIC certificate must be included if product and associated plumbing installation costs exceed $750.
all Rainwater tanks must be designed and manufactured to the relevant Australian Standards. Rainwater tanks must also be certified to the relevant Australian Standards before 1 July 2012 to be eligible for a rebate after this date.
Rainwater tanks connected to new houses that received a building permit after 30 June 2005 are not eligible for the rainwater tank rebate.

.........and it goes on with heaps of other hoo hah.

Tanks plumbed into toilet cisterns are compulsory on new builds in SA & Qld; don't know about other states, didn't look.

Ian.

In SA you can't have a storage tank HWS, you have to have either instant gas, solar or heat pump. We don't have piped gas and heat pumps are noisy so we went solar, bye-bye $4000. Instant gas is barely $600.

Rainwater tanks are mandatory but noone checks to see if you've actually connected them, which I found puzzling. We took 5 months to get around to connecting ours to the house, basically waited till it got full (we have a 22KL tank).

Every recommendation I have ever heard for using bottled gas on hot water is "god no don't do it". They only last a few weeks for heating, they'd probably only last a few weeks for hot water for 5 people, at $120 a bottle, I'll take sunshine any day.

Back