What's the BEST website you've ever experienced - "Online store"

Hello Friends,

Please contribute the best online shopping experience(s) you've ever had.
Also, are there certain features on certain sites you really loved?
And, have there been instances where you were put off following through on purchasing, after initially intending to?

Our online biz needs a facelift and all these factors are highly relevant.
Thanks for any contributions.

Hate: When I cannot filter for items easily, when I cannot click a "view all" and i hae to go through 6 pages by 6 items in a page. Target online website is a prime eg of this. And when the item is sold out. Please remove it from the site. I hate seeing sold out when I see what i like but cannot buy.

Likes: Order confirmation, shipping confirmation etc. Customer service response via social media is also a plus but of course appreciate that small biz might not be able to accomodate.

Hope this helps,

signed online shopping addict.

They all need a full product description with photos from many angles and they need to state if in stock ready to ship or not...oh, and need to be the cheapest and freight free or very cheap.

Put that together with a good fair returns policy and quick despatch/follow up & you will have success.

Not having to sign up to purchase from the site, e.g express cart.

Free shipping.

search function which actually works (I'm looking at you, Bunnings).

Chain Reaction Cycles in the Uk

Lots of stock with reviews, fast delivery, fast website, great customer service if item is faulty.

Not having to sign up to purchase from the site, e.g express cart.

Free shipping.

search function which actually works (I'm looking at you, Bunnings).

Oh yeah, thet gets my vote for the worst online store. Not one bit of description or pics to discern one product from another...for powerPass holders that is BTW.

And yes, I do like the sites that allow you to checkout as a visitor and not havr to sign up for the spam emails.

They all need a full product description with photos from many angles and they need to state if in stock ready to ship or not...oh, and need to be the cheapest and freight free or very cheap.

Put that together with a good fair returns policy and quick despatch/follow up & you will have success.

Yep...Naughty but Nice ticks all the boxes here...

Free shipping? Really? I HATE free shipping.

There is no such thing as free shipping.. It is built into the price.
I like aussie retailers to have postcode based shipping that acurately reflects the true cost of the shipping. Why should i pay built in east-west coast "free" shipping for something that's coming from only 100kms away

Hello Friends,

Please contribute the best online shopping experience(s) you've ever had.
Also, are there certain features on certain sites you really loved?
And, have there been instances where you were put off following through on purchasing, after initially intending to?

Our online biz needs a facelift and all these factors are highly relevant.
Thanks for any contributions.

Things I hate:
- when I can't calculate postage from my cart but have to fill out a zillion registration things to do so. I don't know if I want to buy until I know what postage is. A simple postcode postage calculator would help.
- only being able to view 16 items at once and there being a million pages.
- when I put things in my cart then I can't back to the page I was looking at if it was a search result. Grrrr
- carts which time out and dump contents. It can take me days to get some orders together - I don't mind if items go because they sell out but leave my stuff in there FFS

Things I like:
- decent search
- a nifty thing today I found when shopping was a banner ad (probably had some technical term) which offered xx discount for the order. It wasn't a sale ad, it got me over the line or whether to order or not :)
- love the websites that let me view 96 items or VIEW ALL if I choose.
- Good 'continue shopping' links which take me back to my search results.

Things I haven't decided if I like or not yet
- sites which let me log in to shopping with Facebook so I don't need to register. I haven't decided if I like this or not yet.

Thanks all, all good points to consider.

We sell some heavy stuff and it's hard to give a competitive delivery rate automatically when there are multiple items involved.
We use 3 different couriers based on the total weight and destination, volumetric sizes of the items and dead weight to consider too.
I'm not too sure if it can be calculated automatically.

Any solutions to this problem?

Thanks

Thanks all, all good points to consider.

We sell some heavy stuff and it's hard to give a competitive delivery rate automatically when there are multiple items involved.
We use 3 different couriers based on the total weight and destination, volumetric sizes of the items and dead weight to consider too.

Thanks

Hmm
- how many people buy more than one item
- how many items do you sell?

If most people only buy one item then it's easier
If you only sell 100 items then calculate the cubic dimensions of all of them then when people buy more than one item add the cubic dimensions together and base courier costs on that. You can put a disclaimer saying these costs are estimates and you will be in contact with a firm courier quote.

If you cannot give an automatic postage calculation, then the next best thing is a quick turnaround. I'm looking at stone baths, and had an answer on delivery from one company within half an hour of my email.

I also hate having to click right through a shopping cart, registration just to find out a postage cost and agree that this is important to be able to find this out early in the process.

I really, really hate sites with no prices. I sent a scathing email on Saturday to an upmarket, snotty inner northside bathroom place in Brisbane who had no prices. I've not had a reply, but they have lost my business. They don't seem to care, but they should.

I also hate having to get up from my screen to find my purse to get a credit card. I looooove being able to click through Paypal without getting up.

A site I love is Fishpond. Some of their items are so much cheaper than buying in store and they have free postage. I don't know how they manage "free" postage but on an item that was $28 in the store I work in, I paid $8 through Fishpond with free postage. If it is being spread over everything, I don't mind because I still saved $20 (but I agree with the sentiment expressed by Moyjos generally).

I also really hate it when you are searching and having clicked on a product you then click back to the search and it takes you to the top of a looooong page that you must scroll down again to find your place.

A good proportion of sales are multiple items, probably around the 50% mark.
All we can do at the moment is contact them as soon as we are aware of their order to confirm the combined delivery rate, as most items have an individual delivery rate listed.
However, trying to make this as automated as possible.
We probably sell around 2 mil via automatic online sales at a guess, so looking to improve the current model.

Have you had a look at Temando? You can integrate that with your site and it will give your customer the best rate based on different carriers. For bulky/heavy stuff they usually go with Northline or Allied express.

Allied express suck btw. Disgusting company.

Have to agree with the points about registering before you can buy anything.

Straight away "Register Now" makes me think of my inbox cluttered up with the latest offers from a site I may never need to visit again.

I just want to click on pay now and enter cc details.

I'll always use the PayPal option if available and use my cc through their form rather than using my PayPal account. My perception is it seems more secure than an in house process taking my card details on a website that may have been made by the seller's nephew's mate, who is good at Minecraft. PP offers some level of buyer protection and is just too easy!

Cheers,
Beef

Back