what's the quickest way to clean a filthy house?

lizzie said:
ah aimjoy ;) i have done both and, believe me, i would much rather paint and install a new kitchen than clean up someone else's filth.
I had a filthy house to empty once.. abandoned goods, clothes, possessions, mail strewn all through the house..

I got about 40 garbage bags and merrily proceeded to sort the Possessions from the Rubbish.. 1 bag for each at a time.. it seemed slow going.. In the end it was easier to designate the rubbish as possessions and bag it all together It was a lot of fun too, revenge is sweet.. (as petty as that sounds :) )

duncan_m said:
I had a filthy house to empty once.. abandoned goods, clothes, possessions, mail strewn all through the house..

I got about 40 garbage bags and merrily proceeded to sort the Possessions from the Rubbish.. 1 bag for each at a time.. it seemed slow going.. In the end it was easier to designate the rubbish as possessions and bag it all together It was a lot of fun too, revenge is sweet.. (as petty as that sounds :) )

Hi Dunc

Did they actually come back to collect?

Many year ago we had a similar experience. Female tenant abandoned house, left everything, it was like she was faced with a bush fire and had to get out in the next hour. What a mess. But at that time I wasn't aware of the storing thing and I just ordered a skip and it all went in. Never heard anything.

These days we take photos before doing anything and then again of anything we toss to cover any subsequent claim.

Cheers

handyandy said:
Did they actually come back to collect?

Yes they did in the end.. they opened the shed I'd put it in and were presented with floor to ceiling bags of their stuff and their rubbish.. much grumbling as they sorted through it.. it was a stinking hot day. I'm not normally a vindictive person.. but it had a been a very long saga..

Hard work tends to be the way forward. I do like the suggestion of a soft broom and a squeegy thing. We bought an older place last year, had to strip it of a very 70's make-over....wall paper everywhere. Used a steammer thing that still took forever, as well as elbows and shoulders. Had used a sqeeze mop for a couple of real bad ceilings, but they are 12 foot and it was hard getting enough decent pressure on the mop to actually clean.
But we worked solid every weekend and every night, even ducking up there in my lunch hour to get it painted inside. Turned out well, the tenants just signed another 12 month lease:D
We also had a two year old townhouse that was left in a grubby condition. The PM got us to inspect the place, he knew it wasn't good, but seemed to feel unsure as to what to do. We took some advice from some talented people who said we didn't have to accept the condition, 4 foolscap pages of complaint later, the vacating tenant was happy to pay a comercial cleaning company to do the job, $140, everything was as good as new and we were pleased.

lizzie said:
ah aimjoy ;) i have done both and, believe me, i would much rather paint and install a new kitchen than clean up someone else's filth.
Me too!

I doubt your house could be worse than some I have done. One of them had caked on grease on the walls, floors, light fittings & don't even bother thinking about the kitchen bench tops and inside the cupboards. The dead cockroaches piled on top of each other in the oven were a lovely touch as well. ( I must admit Hubby cleaned that as I wasn't going anywhere near it). Then we have the droppings from cockroaches & rodents all up the walls as well. Yummy!!!

Then we have the major reno project with graffiti sprayed all over the walls, plus the smoke damage. Although in comparison, that one was easy.

skater said:
The dead cockroaches piled on top of each other in the oven were a lovely touch as well.

At least they were dead!!!!;) One time, watching an sparky change the elements in a unit that was still occupied :eek: The poor sparky having to battle the cockies for the screw holes.

There were no roaches in the place before they moved in so they must have moved in with them.

Cheers

Michael Croft tells the story of one place he owned, where the shower recess was absolutely black with mould- except for two spots where presumably the tenant placed his feet.

skater said:
Me too!

I doubt your house could be worse than some I have done. One of them had caked on grease on the walls, floors, light fittings & don't even bother thinking about the kitchen bench tops and inside the cupboards. The dead cockroaches piled on top of each other in the oven were a lovely touch as well. ( I must admit Hubby cleaned that as I wasn't going anywhere near it). Then we have the droppings from cockroaches & rodents all up the walls as well. Yummy!!!

Then we have the major reno project with graffiti sprayed all over the walls, plus the smoke damage. Although in comparison, that one was easy.

I had one that I scrubbed from top to bottom...walls, ceiling, floor etc. Sugar soap wouldn't budge some of the grime and marks - in the end I resorted to Jiff followed by sugar soap to remove the residue. Hey, it worked. But even after 3 weeks of cleaning every minute of spare time with all the doors and windows flung wide open I couldn't get rid of the musty smell. Last job on the list was to empty the ashes from the wood heater - that's when I discovered a ton of dried up cat poo in the nook behind the heater. Yuck! :eek:

Flatout

oooo - luckily i haven't had cockroach swarms or cat poo deposits. i have had mountains of cockroach poo in walls cavities - but i reckon the worst job i did was spend two days in a ceiling cavity cleaning out 100yrs of coal dust. looked rather like a chimney sweep by knockoff time each day ... and it gets bleeping hot!

Hey, I've just finished a job cleaning repainting and tiling a house throughout for a housing organisation. Dog pee, stickers and nicotene stains galore! One thing I'm still scratching my head about though (excuse the pun) is when I pulled the towel rail off the wall (one of those chrome jobs) all these cockroaches poured out of flange bit that's screwed to the wall...I mean how did they get in there in the first place.

Cheers Dean

Tricleanium is my prefered product - I think it is the same base as sugar soap, but it comes in a powder so I can make it as strong as I need.

I used it on a flat that had twenty years of 'smokers residue' on everything. I went though several sponges on my squegee mop though. If I was a smoker, then this job would have made me stop - each new bucket of cleaner lasted only a few minutes before it was totally, absolutely dark with nicatine.

Lindy

GeeVee said:
had to strip it of a very 70's make-over....wall paper everywhere. Used a steammer thing that still took forever, as well as elbows and shoulders. Had used a sqeeze mop for a couple of real bad ceilings, but they are 12 foot and it was hard getting enough decent pressure on the mop to actually clean.

I spent a day with a steamer and then chemicals + steamer at our place - to find that we had 2 layers of wallpaper and the stuff underneath was single layer and impossible to budge. After a day I had only managed to do a few meters and had damaged the gyprock in a number of places. Luckily I'm multi-skilled - so I re-skim coated the whole hallway & entranceway instead - the wallpaper wasn't going anywhere so it is an OK base. After sanding with a large float I now have beautifully smooth walls. Next room I will do similar - sand & sugar soap, skim coat any joints, remove paper where it's not properly bonded and fill, sand and paint the lot. Like anything, proper preparation underneath is required to ensure the coat doesn't peel off itself.

geoffw said:
Michael Croft tells the story of one place he owned, where the shower recess was absolutely black with mould- except for two spots where presumably the tenant placed his feet.

bwwaaahahahahahahahaha :D

barracuda2 said:
I spent a day with a steamer and then chemicals + steamer at our place - to find that we had 2 layers of wallpaper and the stuff underneath was single layer and impossible to budge. After a day I had only managed to do a few meters and had damaged the gyprock in a number of places. Luckily I'm multi-skilled - so I re-skim coated the whole hallway & entranceway instead - the wallpaper wasn't going anywhere so it is an OK base. After sanding with a large float I now have beautifully smooth walls. Next room I will do similar - sand & sugar soap, skim coat any joints, remove paper where it's not properly bonded and fill, sand and paint the lot. Like anything, proper preparation underneath is required to ensure the coat doesn't peel off itself.

sorry to ask a dumb question, but what's skim coating? is it like udnercoating? do you use paint? or some other kind of sealant or something? taa.

Back