What's Worth Doing?

My apologies, as this might be a long post!! I'll try to be as brief as I can!

My dear Hubbie and I are looking to complete (ongoing) renovations on our 1950's PPOR in anticipation of selling and upgrading to a nicer area.

List of stuff we've already done: put in a new kitchen, re-tiled the bathroom, sanded and polished the floorboards, repainted the interior and added an outdoor pergola - all done with our own labour and materials for next-to-nothing (it's not what you know, it's who you know!!). We also had the place restumped and rewired originally, when we first moved in, out of necessity.

We have lived here for nearly 4 years and have enjoyed the place as well as knowing that what we've done has added to the value of the property.

However. There are still a few things left that need doing, and a few of these are going to cost us some $$$ - which is why we haven't done them yet (ie not wanting to overcapitalise). They driveway is very run-down and cracked and needs replacing; and both the font and back yards need re-turfing. The front yard is not such a big deal as it's not that big, but the back garden is HUGE!

We also have the option of turning the back sunroom into an extra room for next to no cost, as we have most of the materials and can use our own (and relos) labour to get it done. Will mainly just need to pay for permits and wiring.

Obviously, we want to get the best possible price for our property. My question is this: given what's already been done, what's left that's still worth doing?? Agents I've spoken to say that the renovations left to be done (driveway, turf) are cosmetic things that won't actually INCREASE the price that we might get, but would help the house sell faster in a slow market.

As for the extra room, we are divided about whether or not to go ahead. We would be doing it as a continuation of the existing roofline (of the sunroom), which means that the room will have a sloped roof - so obviously an add on, even though it will look quite nice inside. My FIL actually did this on one of his investment properties, so I have an idea of how it looks when complete. One of us thinks that the extra room will add value regardless (ie make it a 3 bedrooms + study, or 4 bedroom house); the other one of us thinks that, given the sloped roof, people might actually see the 'add-on' room as something that needs to be knocked down, ie a disincentive to purchase the house.

Even if we stop at what's already done, we are likely to make a nice profit, considering what we originally purchased for.

How do we know if these extra renovations are worth doing or not??

Your thoughts welcome!

suburbangirl said:
Your thoughts welcome!

Not often one for thoughts, but I'll give it a go
I had a good result on mums driveway near the beach, forty year old cracked concrete, with a premix pebblecrete, coarse sand in resin, went on like a self leveller, frame the edge of the drive in scrap timber stand at the top of the slight slope and pour, the resin ran in the cracks, under the cracks, over the cracks, round the cracks and set, 'bout 3/4 inch thick. The sand color matched pretty well the local soil color, it looked good. The set resin fixed all the pieces of concrete in place so the drive didnt wobble, even with fourteen tons parked on it every night (the cause of the broken concrete). I dont remember the price, just that it was way less than replacement concrete

Things I learned,
1. Keep the cat in the house
2. Resin sticks to shoes, dont step in it.
3. When you get your shoe out, dont walk in the house.
4. Vinyl Kitchen flooring is easy to replace.
5. Cats dont like to have resin clipped out of their fur
6. Mothers really like cats

suburbangirl said:
Agents I've spoken to say that the renovations left to be done (driveway, turf) are cosmetic things that won't actually INCREASE the price that we might get, but would help the house sell faster in a slow market.
Your thoughts welcome!

I don't always trust agents ( well many ) when they make comments like this , as often their main motivation is to get the property on the market.

I 've seen a very mediocre house sell well about expectations, and the only thing distinctive about it was the furniture ....

When we re turfed our front lawn it made a significant difference , and I was suprised how many people who knew us commented on it. I'd at least do that , it's about the most obvious thing you see when you first come up to a a house. Driveways are expensive and it would depend on how it was in keeping with houses in the surrounds. If you pull up and it's really obvious I'd think about it , but if it's in line with the rest of the street I wouldn't be that fussed.

The back yard needs to neat and functional , but I don't think it's as critical as the front. If for example you think you're aiming at the young family market , having a cubby house or climbing frame in the back yard will help . the kids will run to check it out , possibly leaving the parents time to look around in peace...

Our kids always liked the houses with the climbing sets, big screen TV's , and interesting games rooms. Most people arn' that analytical about houses and go on gut feeling.

See Change

suburbangirl said:
How do we know if these extra renovations are worth doing or not??
Suburbangirl,
the only way i can see is too test the market in your area,and have several R/E sales people give you an idea on the approximate value
of your property,before you complete any more work,one item with
the extra room,try and match the roof line with the present roof
line nothing looks worse than a add on that does not match
the house,and imho a new drive way and new lawn will add
value to a property,after all the front of the building is the
first part the buyers see..
good luck
willair

suburbangirl -don't stop now !! you are nearly finished. Without seeing it I would say don't do the driveway unless it is that bad that you cant drive up it. Buy some turf for the front - and do some cheapy seeds etc for the back and see if you can get some natural growth. Hit the gargage sales and get some other plantss to smarten up the front yard. See how much impact you can get out of some edging and small grade pebbles around the driveway. just a thought

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Hey, almostbob, your advice is well-suited as we have a very nosy little cat who likes to sus out everything we do!!!

I like the idea of leaving a cubby out back for the kids to get excited over - as we would be aiming at the young family market. Our little one actually has a little cubby house, and leaving it out makes good sense!!!

I didn't mention it in the original post, but we have actually landscaped the front garden (ourselves). It looks pretty good, but highlights the fact that nice turf is needed. As someone mentioned, doing the turf out front, and grass seeds out back may be the way to go. If I really think about it, I suspect a nice lawn out front will really add to the appeal of the house. But turfing the whole back yard would be a killer $$$ wise, which is why we're a bit reluctant.

The other part of the problem with the back garden is a bit more practical. If we turn up the soil/add top soil to put on grass seeds, or re-turf the whole back garden, where will our little one play?? I don't know what the solution is there. Our front garden is not really big enough for her to run around in, and we are not within walking distance to any parks I'd take her to!

I don't know that I explained the extra room very well (it was getting late when I posted!!). It would 'match' the existing roof-line. What's there at the moment is a lo-ong sunroom, but very narrow. My husband wants to section part of it off, and extend it, to make an additional room - something functional that can be used as a study or extra bedroom. If we simply extend the whole sunroom out, it would turn it into a rumpus, couldn't really be used as a bedroom - and plus would cost more to do. The sunroom was actually an add-on going back 30 years or so ago. You originally stepped (down a step) out of the kitchen onto (presumably what used to be) a patio; now you step down into a sort-of closed in verandah. The roof of the sunroom is already sloping. By creating an extra room, we would be extending the same roof out further - ie it would continue the slope, if that makes sense.

It looks okay, and you'd get an extra room out of it, but you'd be able to notice the sloping roof. Would this put people off??? I don't know. The thing is, we can do it for very little cost (although lots of hard work). Which makes me think it's worth doing anyway - it's an extra room right??

Anyway, I appreciate your comments, keep 'em coming!!

Thanks!! :)

suburbangirl said:
Thank you everyone for your responses!

but you'd be able to notice the sloping roof. Would this put people off???

Property Listings...
...this renovated property boasts a guest suite or second master bedroom, with striking cathedral ceilings....

Its not a sloping roof, its an architectural feature :)

Definitely turf the front yard. If it's a smallish yard, the turf will cost bugger-all and make a huge difference. It's a quick job, too.
If the driveway is cracked and ugly, can it be ripped up and replaced with gravel? The cracking may indicate there isn't alot of steel in the concrete, so it may be easy to dig up. Gravel is fairly cheap and easy to spread.
Out back, if you can make an extra room, I'd do it. But perhaps do it in such a way that a prospective buyer could see how easily it could be undone, if you know what I mean.
Scott

depreciator said:
Definitely turf the front yard. If it's a smallish yard, the turf will cost bugger-all and make a huge difference. It's a quick job, too.
If the driveway is cracked and ugly, can it be ripped up and replaced with gravel? The cracking may indicate there isn't alot of steel in the concrete, so it may be easy to dig up. Gravel is fairly cheap and easy to spread.
Out back, if you can make an extra room, I'd do it. But perhaps do it in such a way that a prospective buyer could see how easily it could be undone, if you know what I mean.
Scott

good day scott.

Can you depreciate turf?

Can you depreciate turf?

Sadly no, Farone. 'Soft' landscaping can't be depreciated. 'Hard' landscaping can be: paths, retaining walls etc. Essentially, we're talking 'built' structures. And they can be depreciated at 2.5%pa.

Scott

Sadly no, Farone. 'Soft' landscaping can't be depreciated. 'Hard' landscaping can be: paths, retaining walls etc. Essentially, we're talking 'built' structures. And they can be depreciated at 2.5%pa.

So, if it cant be depreciated - can the full cost be claimed in the year incurred?

How do the costs associated with a cosmetic reno work then also? Say I was to paint a house...?

TB

So, if it cant be depreciated - can the full cost be claimed in the year incurred?

That's one for your accountant. If a garden was trashed by a tenant and required remedial work it's possible.

How do the costs associated with a cosmetic reno work then also? Say I was to paint a house...?

Sadly again, paint is regarded as a 'building' item i.e. depreciable at 2.5%. So if you spent $2,000 painting (improving) a house, you'll only be able to claim it back at $50 per year. But looking on the bright side, you will be able to claim it for 40 years!
If the painting has been done as a repair, it's a different matter. In that instance, you can claim it in full. Be sensible, though. If you've only owned a property for a year, it's stretching it to claim an entire repaint as a 'repair'. You may be able to claim part as a repair and part as an improvement, the logic bening that when you painted the worn areas e.g hallway, kitchen and bathroom, you elected to paint the whole place.
If of course you've had to repaint an entire house because of a dreadful tenant, I would take 'before' photos and get your PM to put something on paper.
Remember, if you buy a property and elect to paint it (or do anything) straight away, it's not a 'repair'. Try and get tenants in there even at a reduced rate for a year or so before doing anything.
Scott

Back