What's your asset-debt ratio limit?

I recently met with a very experienced property investor. He is conservative and keeps asset-debt ratio below 60% (E.g. $1million in asset with a maximum of $600k in debt).

What's your asset-debt ratio limit and why?
Do you use this ratio as your main tool for knowing when to buy your next IP?

90 because I'm in acquisition phase. When i stop buying, growth of properties and deflation of debt will change that figure.

No. I buy as often as my broker lets me.

90% - good for you. That's too high for my liking especially because I have little kids/maternity leave in the mix at the moment.

What strategies do you put in place to protect yourself/income? Thanks, I'm learning at this stage.

I'm the same with borrowing whenever the mortgage broker says ok. I always buy property with an exit strategy. If things go sour, will it be easy to sell and at least get my money back. If the answer is no I don't buy it. Unfortunately it's stopped me buying what would've been great deals, but I need low risk purchases while I'm at home with the kids and hubby is working.

Property wise, we're currently between 60-65% at the moment.....we are soon to be increasing our debt to 80-90% LVR though.

When we bought we were at 90-95% each property except 1 at 80%.....so we're heading back to where we started to invest again :)

However saying that, if you add in cash, cars, shares, super, other assets, etc....we'd be sitting below 50% (today, not in a couple months when we leverage again)

The way I mitigate risks is have enough cash on hand (in an offset account) to cover at least 6-12 months of monthly debt repayments with no income. For me, this means I can sleep at night and not worry what our debt:asset ratio is. It doesn't really matter at all what that % is to me......as long as we can comfortably make the payments each month, I can sleep easily. Knowing we have 6-12 months of reserve up our sleeve, if tenants don't pay, hubby works less one week, kids get sick, etc, it doesn't stress me, money-wise at least. I know we won't have to make late payments or sell, and that's what I want to avoid the most - having to sell when it's not our choice to sell. Ideally I'd like 12 months+ cash reserves in our offset, which we did before kids, and will again after this next investment.

I do however stress if/when those cash reserves dwindle at times, we were just recently down to only 6 months worth of cash reserves, which is getting too low in my books, but did our taxes and back upto about 10 months, hopefully more soon :)

Cash reserves sounds good to sleep at night. Do you mean 12 months reserve to cover no rent or?

Do you bother with income protection?

Do you use a higher Interest rate for calculations?

no higher than 80%

im also in the acquisition phase of my portfolio but i am focusing more on developing and holding stock.
at the moment I'm on a good income working FIFO so i want to take advantage of this by taking on development projects that create good equity. these projects have holding costs that i might not be able to afford on a lower income.
I don't want to be doing this job for the rest of my life, once i have kids id like to be at home. So my goal is in the next few years complete a few more developments and have a good size portfolio with a low LVR and then once I'm back working in the city i have a good foundation to move forward and maybe fine tune some of the ways i invest and re assess goals.

i could be more aggressive and increase my LVR but i think I've started at a young enough age for the long term effects of property to outweigh this anyway, plus I'm happy to have a bit of fat in my portfolio incase of emergencies.

I recently met with a very experienced property investor. He is conservative and keeps asset-debt ratio below 60% (E.g. $1million in asset with a maximum of $600k in debt).

Onion33,

$1million asset with $600k debt does NOT give you a 60% asset-debt ratio.

It would be 1:0,6 or 166.67%

Did your property investor mean debt-to-asset? (i.e. LVR?) :confused:

The Y-man

I have been topping up to do some more aquisitions, so my portfolio LVR has crept up this year from low 70's to about 80%.

I'm currently at 30%. Sounds like I should consider ip2 then. Need to start understanding land tax and when to use a trust. Seems complicated!

I'm currently at 30%. Sounds like I should consider ip2 then. Need to start understanding land tax and when to use a trust. Seems complicated!

Understanding land tax is easy. Just search this forum to start.

When, if and how to use a trust is harder and you should get advice.

Lvrs are currently 80/90/80. Leveraged up to come up with deposit for recent thurd purchase. Going to shoot for the other team soon a d leverage up some more n buy stocks at the next crash

Actually - I have just realised a slight mathematical conundrum in saying we have LVR 0%.

If one has a $1million property with a $600k loan and has $600k in the offset account, is the LVR:

A: 0% because the loan of $600k is offset by $600k thereby LVR is (600k-600k) / 1mill

OR

B: 37.5% because LVR is (600k) / (1mill + 600k)

:confused:

The Y-man

I dont think there's any right or wrong in what you want to call it, but imho its C: still 60% LVR. Offset doesnt really affect the liabilities you were going to declare if you were to apply for another loan.

Back