What's your "Jonesey"?

A lot of discussion lately about jobs and appearances etc...

Prompted me to think about what do folks do to "Keep up with the Jones"?

The obvious ones are car, maybe the house, even the Postcode. The kid's schools (and Pres-school :rolleyes:) , your clothes, etc.

We are all anonymous here; noone really knows anyone (unless you go to the meet-ups), so let the inhibitions and pride go, have a bit of fun and fess-up to your "Jonesey"...or "Jonesies"

Mine is unashamedly our PPoR. I/we love it and we know it is one of the better homes in the sleepy hollow.

I spend zip on anything else - not clothes, restaurants, watches - not even golf; I'm too old to care what folks think these days. I still have pride of apprearance and won't be seen dead in trakkies or mokkies down at the IGA like many others; but no brand-name addiction here.

My next "Jonesey" will be membership at The National Golf Club - partly a Jonesey, but it is one of my favourite places to spend half a day too.

Luckily Neighbours are mostly uni student's so no Jonesey's for us :)
Maybe top shelf noodles if I'm feeling rather rich!

LOL BV, since no one knows me here, except those that I know from here :D

I would openly share but I am fairly average compared to some on here

I'm the opposite, and do the exact oppositie if I have the choice

I'm anti Jonesy

If my debt ridden acquaintance leases a BMW for image purposes, I ensure I will never get one of them, unless I appreciate it for its true value

I'll buy my second hand current shaped camry for 50k less, and take me, my mum and the kids to Asia for a month for 10k

And ask them to watch my house and car while I'm gone

Done it every year and lovelife

I'm not really one to keep up with the Jonses either. If you compare yourself to others it never ends well.

But... I live in what I think is a nice house in a good location where I let my heart rule over my head. I got it because I wanted it and not because I felt I needed to prove myself to anyone or show off.

Maybe that's why I'm happy to shop at kmart or target or not have many (not so) #humblebrag moments.

I'm the opposite, and do the exact oppositie if I have the choice

I'm anti Jonesy

If my debt ridden acquaintance leases a BMW for image purposes, I ensure I will never get one of them, unless I appreciate it for its true value

Interesting. I feel kinda the same. I've always had a desire in the back of my mind to not run with the crowd. This is part of the reason I don't lease a luxury car, even though it's very common amongst my work colleagues. I also do holidays to out of the way places with my family.

In my heart of hearts, I would probably admit that I wanted my professional career to succeed, mainly to prove to myself that a working class kid from a ratbag town could succeed. And it has, and beyond my wildest imaginings. That's probably the nearest I get to keeping up with anyone else.

I am a sucker for beer, funnily enough.

The more obscure and expensive I can find, the more I want it in my fridge for guests to impress the boys with a new finding.

I don't think I'm Jonesy at all - although I am sure some would disagree.

I do like nice things - not expensive - but that is for me and not to impress anyone else.

I guess, if I had to name something, having a okay figure (not supermodel, but not bogan shopping centre) and I do like my vineyard (even if it does cost us more than it makes)

im not an expert at wine, but not a total amateur, and I refuse to drink jacbos creek, which is the house wine of many places,

the stuff is terrible

I guess that makes me a wine snob and keeping up with the jonesy of not drinking crappy imaged wine

I know heaps of people who refuse to drink jacobs creek, and other brands when they dont even know the difference between a Shiraz and a Shardonnay

PPOR - way too big for our needs (we use about 30% of it).

Dehydrator - just got a Excalibur D902SHD Stainless Steel outer / 9 x Stainless Steel Tray Unit - Beat That!!! :D

along with

Omega 8226 Slow juicer/grinder

Also:
IP's - gotta keep buying to keep up with the other somersoft "Jone's" :D

The Y-man

Champagne... Im mostly a beer drinker but also love a good glass (bottle) of champagne. I usually pick up a couple of bottles of Vurve or Moet on my way through customs, and will usually buy another couple of bottles when ever I go anywhere.
I could probably buy much cheeper champers but I do like the Moet.

There are other things I spend money on which I see as either 'necessities'(nice to haves) or I just like to do it. I don't do it/buy it just to look good/better. Anyone who knows me will say Im the least likely person to do something for appearance. Im the guy who everyone says "why don't you buy something reasonable - you can afford it". Maybe I can, but I just don't value it.

Blacky

What is keeping up with the Jonesey all about anyway???

Just because you like/buy expensive coffee, clothes, wine etc. or want to live in a nice neighbourhood does not mean you are doing this to impress or keep up with anyone? Well that is what I think, what do you have to prove, and who really cares, perhaps you just happen to like these things and you can afford them and these things make you happy. All to their own.

What is keeping up with the Jonesey all about anyway???

Just because you like/buy expensive coffee, clothes, wine etc. or want to live in a nice neighbourhood does not mean you are doing this to impress or keep up with anyone? Well that is what I think, what do you have to prove, and who really cares, perhaps you just happen to like these things and you can afford them and these things make you happy. All to their own.

just remember,

money can buy you expensive stuff, but not taste
money can buy you an expensive car, but not driving skills
money can buy access to class, but not class

My Jones:
  • Clothes: Don't care about clothes
  • Car: I drive a 12 year old beaten up Jazz
  • House: Maybe a little bit, but I like our house, so no real envy either
  • Post code or school: I couldn't care less!
  • Income: I don't compare myself to others too much
  • How well they're doing with investing: I compare myself to anyone that's doing better than me. I think it's a bit human nature, but then I just have to remind myself that it doesn't matter as long as I'm still on track to my own goal.

Not interested in keeping up with Joneseseses either.

My two items of "splurge" is my car (I work damn hard and spend a fair bit of time in it) and my hifi/home theatre. But both are because they bring me enjoyment and not because I have anything to prove

Back