What's your personality type?

What's your MBTI?

• Total voters
Have you noticed that 'rationals' make difficult parents? Well I do anyway. :eek:

As a 'rational', I expect my little darlings to behave rationally, logically and reasonably, which of course is quite impossible.

But even though I am the strictest parent in the class (and probably the strictest in the whole school), the teachers tell me that my kids (11 and 13) think the sun absolutely shines out of me.

Weird! (And wonderful :) ) (While it lasts... ;) )

P.S. I have already started them on their financial education. We play the "Rich Dad Poor Dad" boardgame "Cashflow for Kids" quite often. Excellent. (A bit expensive though. :eek: )

Does it actually work on them?

Does it actually work on them?

Do you mean the 'Cashflow for Kids' game? Yes, most definitely.

We were loathe to pay the $100 price tag, but I'm glad we did. It doesn't cover everything (and it's a bit too 'American') but it is a good starting point.

They already know, for example, that once their investment income equals their living expenses they will be free. Silly kids stuff like that. ;)

It makes us feel good to know that we are giving them a good grounding in one of the most fundamental life-education subjects that schools don't cater for at the moment.

And more freedom equals more fun!

:)

I was just about to sell both of my cashflow games. They're still sitting in my garage from a small garage sale I had a couple of weeks ago. I'm reading Kiyosaki's 'Rich Dad's success stories' at the moment. There is a lot of reference to the game in them. I was just thinking I should start playing it with my 12 and 9 year old. It's great to hear others people success with it.

I was just about to sell both of my cashflow games. They're still sitting in my garage from a small garage sale I had a couple of weeks ago. I'm reading Kiyosaki's 'Rich Dad's success stories' at the moment. There is a lot of reference to the game in them. I was just thinking I should start playing it with my 12 and 9 year old. It's great to hear others people success with it.

That's one of the secrets too, you actually do have to play it with them.

One of my kids' friends came over once and they tried to play it with him, but because it was a bit technical he bagged it out.

(I just smiled...)

Junior (aged 8) and I play cashflow about once a month ... she prefers it so much more than Monopoly and regularly beats me.

Have you noticed that 'rationals' make difficult parents? Well I do anyway. :eek:

As a 'rational', I expect my little darlings to behave rationally, logically and reasonably, which of course is quite impossible.

But even though I am the strictest parent in the class (and probably the strictest in the whole school), the teachers tell me that my kids (11 and 13) think the sun absolutely shines out of me.

Weird! (And wonderful :) ) (While it lasts... ;) )

P.S. I have already started them on their financial education. We play the "Rich Dad Poor Dad" boardgame "Cashflow for Kids" quite often. Excellent. (A bit expensive though. :eek: )

I think each 'temperament parent' would bring their own uniqueness, strengths to parenthood, be a dull old place without our Rational parents.:)

Something to celebrate, treasure for sure.

Have you noticed that 'rationals' make difficult parents? Well I do anyway. :eek: ...

Hehe, as a rational I'd like to think they are capable of being very practical & at the same time caring parent... Sounds like your kids would agree :)

I feel sorry for those parents with strongly rational kids, especially the perceiver rationals; I imagine there's few things more annoying than the recalcitrant child who's also right :p

ENFJ Teacher - the only one here so far it seems, but then we are only 2% of the people so I'm pretty special. ;)

Extraverted/Intuitive/Feeling/Judging = 33/62/25/44

Some blurb on Teachers -

"Teachers (around two percent of the population) are able - effortlessly, it seems, and almost endlessly-to dream up fascinating learning activities for their students to engage in. In some Teachers, this ability to fire the imagination can amount to a kind of genius which other types find hard to emulate. But perhaps their greatest strength lies in their belief in their students. Teachers look for the best in their students, and communicate clearly that each one has untold potential, and this confidence can inspire their students to grow and develop more than they ever thought possible.

ENFJs are the benevolent 'pedagogues' of humanity. They have tremendous charisma by which many are drawn into their nurturant tutelage and/or grand schemes. Many ENFJs have tremendous power to manipulate others with their phenomenal interpersonal skills and unique salesmanship. But it's usually not meant as manipulation -- ENFJs generally believe in their dreams, and see themselves as helpers and enablers, which they usually are.
ENFJs are global learners. They see the big picture. The ENFJs focus is expansive. Some can juggle an amazing number of responsibilities or projects simultaneously. Many ENFJs have tremendous entrepreneurial ability.
ENFJs are, by definition, Js, with whom we associate organization and decisiveness."

There is more of how wonderful I am, but didn't want to bore you. :p

Very accurate picture of me.
I am a frustrated teacher and should have gone into this career. I've always banged on about people having the opportunity to reach their full potential. I've been coaching 2 of my grandsons with their homework for over 2 years and regularly make up games to help with the learning and understanding of something. I've been toying with the idea of marketing 2 of the games, but haven't pulled my finger out yet.

Teachers are most suited for jobs such as - counsellor, teacher, psychologist, management, politics, physician, science related and computer programming.

These are ALL my major interests - except politics, although I wouldn't mind being in charge of the country of course! ;)

Some famous teachers, (and I'm in some good company) are -

David, King of Israel
Pope John Paul II,

Abraham Lincoln
Ronald Reagan
Barack Obama
Tony Blair,
Francois Mitterand
Elizabeth Dole (served with Reagan & Bush's admins)

Abraham Maslow, psychologist and proponent of self-actualization
Oprah Winfrey
Michael Jordan, NBA basketball player
Pete Sampras, Tennis Champion
William Cullen Bryant, poet
Katharine Graham (publisher of the Washington Post)
William Aramony, former president of United Way

Actors-
Nick Nolte,
Sean Connery
Dick Van Dyke
Andy Griffith
James Garner
Gene Hackman
Dennis Hopper
Brenda Vaccaro
Randy Quaid
Tommy Lee Jones
Kirstie Alley
Johnny Depp
Bob Saget
Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Ben Stiller
Matthew McConaughey
Ben Affleck
John Cusack

Cheers
Olly

ENFJ Teacher - the only one here so far it seems, but then we are only 2% of the people so I'm pretty special. ;)

Extraverted/Intuitive/Feeling/Judging = 33/62/25/44

Some blurb on Teachers -

"Teachers (around two percent of the population) are able - effortlessly, it seems, and almost endlessly-to dream up fascinating learning activities for their students to engage in. In some Teachers, this ability to fire the imagination can amount to a kind of genius which other types find hard to emulate. But perhaps their greatest strength lies in their belief in their students. Teachers look for the best in their students, and communicate clearly that each one has untold potential, and this confidence can inspire their students to grow and develop more than they ever thought possible.

ENFJs are the benevolent 'pedagogues' of humanity. They have tremendous charisma by which many are drawn into their nurturant tutelage and/or grand schemes. Many ENFJs have tremendous power to manipulate others with their phenomenal interpersonal skills and unique salesmanship. But it's usually not meant as manipulation -- ENFJs generally believe in their dreams, and see themselves as helpers and enablers, which they usually are.
ENFJs are global learners. They see the big picture. The ENFJs focus is expansive. Some can juggle an amazing number of responsibilities or projects simultaneously. Many ENFJs have tremendous entrepreneurial ability.
ENFJs are, by definition, Js, with whom we associate organization and decisiveness."

There is more of how wonderful I am, but didn't want to bore you. :p

Very accurate picture of me.
I am a frustrated teacher and should have gone into this career. I've always banged on about people having the opportunity to reach their full potential. I've been coaching 2 of my grandsons with their homework for over 2 years and regularly make up games to help with the learning and understanding of something. I've been toying with the idea of marketing 2 of the games, but haven't pulled my finger out yet.

Teachers are most suited for jobs such as - counsellor, teacher, psychologist, management, politics, physician, science related and computer programming.

These are ALL my major interests - except politics, although I wouldn't mind being in charge of the country of course! ;)

Some famous teachers, (and I'm in some good company) are -

David, King of Israel--Promoter Artisan from memory
Pope John Paul II, yes, Teacher Idealist

Abraham Lincoln ----Rational
Ronald Reagan-----Performer Artisan
Barack Obama----Rational
Tony Blair, -----Unsure..Possibly Rational, maybe an Artisan
Francois Mitterand----Unsure
Elizabeth Dole (served with Reagan & Bush's admins)----Unsure

Abraham Maslow, psychologist and proponent of self-actualization---Unsure more likely a Rational, possibly an Idealist
Oprah Winfrey ----Yes, Teacher Idealist
Michael Jordan, NBA basketball player-----Artisan
Pete Sampras, Tennis Champion----Unsure
William Cullen Bryant, poet-----Unsure, could be Idealist
Katharine Graham (publisher of the Washington Post)-------Unsure
William Aramony, former president of United Way------Unsure..

Actors-
Nick Nolte,
Sean Connery
Dick Van Dyke
Andy Griffith
James Garner
Gene Hackman
Dennis Hopper
Brenda Vaccaro
Randy Quaid
Tommy Lee Jones
Kirstie Alley
Johnny Depp
Bob Saget
Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Ben Stiller
Matthew McConaughey
Ben Affleck
John Cusack ....It's more than probable a high proportion of these actors are Artisans, not Teachers, the Artisans being the creative entertainers for us..

Cheers
Olly

You Teachers are special, my first prep school teacher was a Teacher Idealist, able to reinforce, help instil in me a love of learning Olly, and be the very best I can be..but I do need to clarify some of the temperaments quoted as Teacher temperaments, some of the sites on temperament are rubbish. The Keirsey site is based upon 'what people do and say'-we are able to observe and study people the best that we do, what we do best.

Teachers:
Ozzy-Kevin Sheedy!

Pope John Paul II
Maya Angelou
Oprah Winfrey
Mikhail Gorbachev
Jane Fonda
John Wooden
Jane Addams
Ralph Nader
Margaret Mead
Leon Trotsky
Bob Geldof
Ina May Gaskin
Desmond Tutu (or Champion Idealist)
Jesus, based upon the bible's information of him..

Damn, some of my favourite actors are Teachers! Is this a conspiracy? Am I secretly craving total re-education? Or is this another teachers' union conspiracy bent on emasculating any prospect of individual independence??? (They're in a union, after all!)

OO

I got the list of people from links on the site Kyebosh posted.
I presume it's accurate???

And now you've added Jesus to my list!! Wow!
If only I had his or Oprahs persuasiveness and power. :rolleyes:

I'll just have to settle for having persuasiveness and power over my grandkids. :p

Here you go Olly, Kyebosh has linked in the descriptions from Professor David West Keirsey's research (over 50 years)...'humanmetrics' is 'opportunistic' to put it mildly.

I have a theory I'd like to test ;)
If you know your Myers-Briggs Type Indicator get polling!
If you'd like to know what you are, here's a short test.

For reference, the 16 types are:
  • The Supervisor (ESTJ)
  • The Inspector (ISTJ)
  • The Provider (ESFJ)
  • The Protector (ISFJ)
  • The Promoter (ESTP)
  • The Crafter (ISTP)
  • The Performer (ESFP)
  • The Composer (ISFP)
    ->Olly-->
  • The Teacher (ENFJ)
  • The Counselor (INFJ)
  • The Champion (ENFP)
  • The Healer (INFP)
  • The Fieldmarshal (ENTJ)
  • The Mastermind (INTJ)
  • The Inventor (ENTP)
  • The Architect (INTP)

What type do you think makes good PI's?
What type do you "mesh" with the easiest?
What type do you avoid/avoids you?

This kind of stuff fascinates me (typical ENTP) :)

Also if you are interested Olly (anyone), a great introductionto personality and temperament, 'understanding temperament' this book is interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/Please-Unders...ntelligence/dp/1885705026/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Please Understand Me II- (David West Keirsey). His original work was 'Please Understand Me', but has been superceded by 'Please Understand Me II':

Excerpt only:

From the Back Cover
Phenomenon: Keirsey and Bates's Please Understand Me, first published in 1978, sold nearly 2 million copies in its first 20 years, becoming a perennial best seller all over the world. Advertised only by word of mouth, the book became a favorite training and counseling guide in many institutions -- government, church, business -- and colleges across the nation adopted it as an auxiliary text in a dozen different departments. Why? Perhaps it was the user-friendly way that Please Understand Me helped people find their personality style. Perhaps it was the simple accuracy of Keirsey's portraits of temperament and character types. Or perhaps it was the book's essential message: that members of families and institutions are OK, even though they are fundamentally different from each other, and that they would all do well to appreciate their differences and give up trying to change others into copies of themselves.

Now: Please Understand Me II

For the past twenty years Keirsey has continued to investigate personality differences -- to refine his theory of the four temperaments and to define the facets of character that distinguish one from another. His findings form the basis of Please Understand Me II, an updated and greatly expanded edition of the book, far more comprehensive and coherent than the original, and yet with much of the same easy accessibility. One major addition is Keirsey's view of how the temperaments differ in the intelligent roles they are most likely to develop. Each of us, he says, has four kinds of intelligence -- tactical, logistical, diplomatic, strategic -- though one of the four interests us far more than the others, and thus gets far more practice than the rest. Like four suits in a hand of cards, we each have a long suit and a short suit in what interests us and what we do well, and fortunate indeed are those whose work matches their skills

INTP Architect, fits me to a tee.
Now if I could only find a job where they pay me to analyse, problem solve and think outside the square.................

ENTJ!

So far only Aaron S & I have admitted it, though there seems to be a surprising number on here (supposedly <2% of the population)! Helloooo? Where are all the Field Marshalls?
Obviously out marshalling resources to actually get stuff done.:p

Are the ENTJ doing the test or simply reading the descriptions and picking?

I ask as I am surprised one area is so strong however I am ENTP so that is only 1 click away.

Come on, be honest.

Peter 14.7

Back