When do solicitors charge

Hi all,
One learning I had from this forum is that always show contract to your solicitor before making an offer. Now every buyer attends a lot of inspections and shortlists a lot of properties to make an offer upon. e.g. someone may make an offer on 5 properties in 2 months but may not get any of them.

Does that mean he/she needs to pay the solicitor 5 times just to have a look at the sale contract and determine loophooles/introduce conditions. Or the solicitor only starts charging once the offer is accepted. How does it work?

What strategy can you adopt to make sure you pay solicitor/conveyancer only for the serious deals.

Some solicitors will include the initial review of a section 32 as part of their conveyancing service, others will charge for this, or they may start to charge if you start showing up with a lot of them.

You do get a 3 day cooling off period on a real estate contract. Most people use this period of time to review the section 32.

Can you add a clause to some effect of :subject to solicitors approval?
So then when the offer is excepted they can check everything? Without wasting time and money before a deal is negotiated.

For the likes of wa where there is no cOoling off period?

Cheers

Depends on your relationship with you solicitor. We bought 2 with ours and when our daughter was going to auction he said if she doesn't get it don't worry as he knew we'd bge buying more. He has looked at a few for us with no charge.

For auction I just ask him to have a quick look and let me know if there's anything that looks like a problem. It doesn't take that long if you have read loads of contracts. They are usually a basic contract just with special conditions.

I always read it first. If there's anything I don't understand I ask him.

Depends on your relationship with you solicitor.
It doesn't take that long if you have read loads of contracts. They are usually a basic contract just with special conditions.

I always read it first. If there's anything I don't understand I ask him.

Thanks your comments make sense for an experienced buyer having at least one solicitor up their sleeve.

What strategy should a newbie (who doesn't know how to decipher contracts or have a rapport with the solicitor) adop? Is it possible to somehow assure the solicitor that whenever the sale goes through, the newbie will use the same solicitor and pay all their legal fees and disbursements at that time.

Hard to believe that people pay fees just to get a second eye on Section 32 for every offer they make:D

My solicitor includes in the fee but seriously most contracts are just the same old thing. The only changes would be in the 'special conditions' and most of these are just rehashing the general conditions anyway but trying to word it more tightly.

Back