Where do you get the due diligence advice from

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a property with a large backyard that will allow me to put another house on it. Just wonder who do we normally turn to for the due diligence advice before you want to buy it?

Advantage of using an architect who has done a DA for a similar project before in local area is that you might be able to take him to the site as soon as you find a potential property you want to buy. Advantage of going to the council and ask the town planner or planning staffs for advice is that their advice might be more reliable. But you need to book in for an appointment. In most of cases, a good site will be on the market for only a short period of time before it's taken by other buyers. And also I don't know if they would help if you are not the owner?

Appreciated!

My advice is the following:

- Get a copy of the lot plan from the REA and then go visit the council, find out details about what they require for subdivision, is it still feasible?

- Visit a surveyor and ask for his advice and get a quote for the subdivision works, you should tell him or have a rough idea of the slope of the plot, the location of the water and the sewer line. The surveyor will then advise you based on this information

- If you want to keep/live in the existing property, I would also get a building inspection done. Even though I'm a civil engineer and know quite a bit about buildings, i get inspections done simply to pass on the liability to a certain extent.

Back