Where to buy 650K in Sydney

I don't think any station is safe at 9pm. When I was doing long hours in the city I moved to the eastern suburbs as there was no way I was going to a train station after 730.

Pendle hill station is actually really easy for parking. There's plenty of space to park along the north side or on Pendle way before the shopping centre.

Greystanes has very little public housing. There are two clusters that are across the road from either end of pemulwuy but otherwise the average resident is a semi retired Anglo or Southern European, or double income professional/semi professionals. The area most liked at present by the newer nationalities to the area is between Cumberland road and Cumberland highway (on the northern side of merrylands rd) and the areas for Greystanes public school catchment.

My recommendation would be to drive to each station around the time you would be getting off a train. Notice how many people get off the train at that time and how many businesses are still open near the station. Some stations are like ghost towns after 7 while others have much more foot traffic.

Go for a drive / walk in all those areas mentioned in your thread at different time, and you will quickly know which area to avoid / to buy. Kings Langley is more close to hills area & norwest business park, and it offers value for money.

I don't think any station is safe at 9pm. When I was doing long hours in the city I moved to the eastern suburbs as there was no way I was going to a train station after 730.

I have consistently used stations in the CBD, Eastern Suburbs, North Shore and Northern lines at all hours for 30 years, they've been perfectly safe for me. Even late most of the time there are still plenty of others on the trains. I have noticed though that the Western and inner west lines seem to empty out after seven on weekdays so it seems others may share your view. I've been told the worst lines in Sydney are the Bankstown and Richmond lines.

Would go for the newer part of Quakers Hill. It is more Hills area that way. However not sure how good the schools are over there.

Schofields and Riverstone is being developed into new housing estates. Schofields in particular with brand new train stations, new town centres and closer to Rouse Hill Shopping centre is also worth looking at.

You'd be battling to get a house for $650K in Kings Langley now. Everything in the Hills area and adjacent has gone crazy.

You can get the city bus into the city. It's $4.50 each way. May be cheaper with a weekly ticket. I wouldn't want to be getting out at Seven Hills station at night.
You may be wise to wait until the hype dies down. Everything is going at first opens still. One agent told me it is slowing down but going on todays opens and auctions I'm not seeing it.

Thank you. Ya I wanted to avoid the train station after 7:30

I'm looking at areas near greystanes public school. Seems nice but the quality of house too bad and the vendors want 650k + :(

Do you know if the buses to paramatta station from greystanes in the peak hours would take more than 25-30 mins?

Pendle hill station is actually really easy for parking. There's plenty of space to park along the north side or on Pendle way before the shopping centre.

Greystanes has very little public housing. There are two clusters that are across the road from either end of pemulwuy but otherwise the average resident is a semi retired Anglo or Southern European, or double income professional/semi professionals. The area most liked at present by the newer nationalities to the area is between Cumberland road and Cumberland highway (on the northern side of merrylands rd) and the areas for Greystanes public school catchment.

My recommendation would be to drive to each station around the time you would be getting off a train. Notice how many people get off the train at that time and how many businesses are still open near the station. Some stations are like ghost towns after 7 while others have much more foot traffic.

Thank you!

Ya currently looking at Kings langley. I think this suburb also doesn't fit my budget :(

Its advertised as 700 for 3 bedder :eek: :eek:

Go for a drive / walk in all those areas mentioned in your thread at different time, and you will quickly know which area to avoid / to buy. Kings Langley is more close to hills area & norwest business park, and it offers value for money.

Schools are not so good in Quakers hill and the house prices are increasing..

Would go for the newer part of Quakers Hill. It is more Hills area that way. However not sure how good the schools are over there.

Schofields and Riverstone is being developed into new housing estates. Schofields in particular with brand new train stations, new town centres and closer to Rouse Hill Shopping centre is also worth looking at.

True I went to a open house for a 3 bedder and the agent said over 700k. Seriously overpriced atm

You'd be battling to get a house for $650K in Kings Langley now. Everything in the Hills area and adjacent has gone crazy.

You can get the city bus into the city. It's $4.50 each way. May be cheaper with a weekly ticket. I wouldn't want to be getting out at Seven Hills station at night.
You may be wise to wait until the hype dies down. Everything is going at first opens still. One agent told me it is slowing down but going on todays opens and auctions I'm not seeing it.

These two suburbs are pretty bogan; not much class here or very diverse area here.

Engadine/Heathcote great area to live. Very low crime rate. Everything available ie transport, schools, shops, sporting facilities. Can walk the streets anytime of the day and people say hello. Very safe. Looking at house prices consistently $750 000 upwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. Ya I wanted to avoid the train station after 7:30

I'm looking at areas near greystanes public school. Seems nice but the quality of house too bad and the vendors want 650k + :(

Do you know if the buses to paramatta station from greystanes in the peak hours would take more than 25-30 mins?

Houses in that catchment sell within hours at the 650k mark.

If you live near old prospect rd the express buses will take less than 30mins to parra. In other parts of Greystanes the trip to merrylands station will be similar.

Geez, I bought my house with a full block of land in North Epping for less than 700k just 6 years ago. Great area. Now I read of what 650k can buy you. Just.... Wow.

Given that it is you are first home buyers, to take advantage of the government first home owners grant you should consider getting a new home ($15k and no stamp duty). Suburbs in Sydney where you can currently buy a new home under $650k which are on a train line include Minto (48 mins to central), Rooty Hill (48 mins to Central), Werrington (50 mins to Central), Schofields (52 mins to Central) and Riverstone (56 mins to Central). There are also other suburbs in Sydney where you would be able to afford to get a new home which are a short drive or bus ride to a station.

Back