Where to buy 650K in Sydney

Thanks Mate!

I have my parents visting us from India and they stay for 1 year. So I need space. I cant afford a 3 bed unit < 30 mins to the city :)

Units can appreciate faster than land/houses. There are no0 hard and fast rules.

When buying your PPR I would advise to find a place your wife is socially engaged, your kid can have a good school experience, you can all walk on the street at night safely, the air is fresh/clean, no noise pollution. If you need to stretch yourself, or get a unit rather than a house, I believe that's worth it for the quality of life.

ie, I'd rather live in a 2bdrm unit in Rose Bay - cheaper than a house in Blacktown.

True! Many people are doing this. They just go through the contract during inspection, get a friend who goes around and looks for any possible repairs, note it down and make an offer and voila the house is under contract. Thinking on the spot seems to be the right way but i'm being cautious :D

yes...all the time

just know what to look for in a contract...and with regards to building and pest....depends how much you want the property....95% of the time if you know what you're looking for, any B&P problems are quite obvious...otherwise a proper report should take no longer than 24 hours...

in a hot market, your biggest problem is going to be competition...and many will already know how to read a contract and look for building and pest damage without professional help

Hahah True. My friends keep telling me about the house prices in the US

Seems like Granville has some relatively decent value. Quite a few house prices well under 650K.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-granville-117090507

I"ve been looking at the market for a number of years while holding a FHSA and am still yet to buy a property in Australia. I think the capital cities are way overpriced and I just can't see how it's sustainable. Have picked up a property in the US in the meantime for about a 10th of the median unit price in Sydney.

There are few properties in toongabie listed around 600k.
Eg. 5 cooyong crescent
11 Scott street

11 Scott is advertised at offers over $630K. I think we should add 10% to it - making it close to 700K. nearly a 1,000 views - been on the market a week only. This has an open home over the coming weekend - may be they didn't get the offers they were looking for?

5 Cooyong is advertised at offers over 549K - which is all good - but more than 1,000 views - been on the market for only a week.

Have you checked these out write2abdul?

Looks like these areas are still hot :|

Thank you! I'll take a look

11 Scott is advertised at offers over $630K. I think we should add 10% to it - making it close to 700K. nearly a 1,000 views - been on the market a week only. This has an open home over the coming weekend - may be they didn't get the offers they were looking for?

5 Cooyong is advertised at offers over 549K - which is all good - but more than 1,000 views - been on the market for only a week.

Have you checked these out write2abdul?

Looks like these areas are still hot :|

One of my mates has put his house for sale for offers over $750K !!! Its a 3 bedder, 1 bath on 639sqm opposite girraween selective. Can't believe prices have gone up so much!

What do you guys think of schofields? There are few house and land packages( 4 bed and 400 sqm land over there around 650-680K . DO you think this area would be good for PPOR and longterm appreciation? Commute is a pain. Would take 1 hour to central :(

I would only consider north as a) the western suburbs of sydney are undesirable to me for living b) education and social mix is better and safer respectively c) services better.

Just love the snobbery on the forum. I've grown up in Western Sydney and having worked with people from other areas and just recently lived in the Eastern Suburbs, it is by far the region which has the friendliest and warmest people with good values and morals. Not sure when Kings Langley was ever ghetto either.

Your best best would be Quakers Hill. It is on the fringes of the hills district but it still doesn't command the ridiculous prices that a property in Rouse Hill would get. It has a train station and is close to the M2, M7 and M4. Commute is an interesting thing. In the Eastern Suburbs, I lived a 15 minute drive from the city and it still took over an hour by bus to get home - the same time as it would to get to Blacktown. There are a lot of good schools located in Quakers Hill as well.

Other than that, I've still seen affordable houses listed for sale around the Parramatta and Rosehill area. There are a lot of gorgeous houses for sale in Granville but I've heard from a policeman who used to work there that it's not a very good area. Just heresay though - I'm one to make judgements about an area based on what others have said and news reports.

From today I have decided to stop looking at properties in Sydney. They are seriously overpriced right now.

I stretched my budget from 550 to 700K for a house and looked at properties in

1. Girraween
2. Pendle Hill
3. Greystanes
4. Quakers hill
5. Kings Langley
6. Schofields

No luck. If the property is good, its overpriced by 20% and crap properties get sold at auction for more than 10% of the auction price guide.

I think I would stop searching for properties and enjoy my weekends and suggest anyone looking to buy stop searching. At the moment its a sellers market with crappy agents and **** properties until you have the budget to renovate on top of the high price paid.

Do not waste your hard earned money on **** properties. Let the market cool down and wait for the days the agents would call you back :p

Just love the snobbery on the forum. I've grown up in Western Sydney and having worked with people from other areas and just recently lived in the Eastern Suburbs, it is by far the region which has the friendliest and warmest people with good values and morals. Not sure when Kings Langley was ever ghetto either.

Your best best would be Quakers Hill. It is on the fringes of the hills district but it still doesn't command the ridiculous prices that a property in Rouse Hill would get. It has a train station and is close to the M2, M7 and M4. Commute is an interesting thing. In the Eastern Suburbs, I lived a 15 minute drive from the city and it still took over an hour by bus to get home - the same time as it would to get to Blacktown. There are a lot of good schools located in Quakers Hill as well.

Other than that, I've still seen affordable houses listed for sale around the Parramatta and Rosehill area. There are a lot of gorgeous houses for sale in Granville but I've heard from a policeman who used to work there that it's not a very good area. Just heresay though - I'm one to make judgements about an area based on what others have said and news reports.

I am still looking and I could see some good deals still in Blacktown, quakers hill, etc. You can definitely get something in Quakers hills for that budget?

Ya, they are lot of them on the old side of the quakers hill. New side, very few old smelly houses and overpriced by 20-25%. I would prefer buying in the hills area for that price if I get one.

I am still looking and I could see some good deals still in Blacktown, quakers hill, etc. You can definitely get something in Quakers hills for that budget?

Personally I don't think you've looked for long enough. The majority of properties in Greystanes are selling for mid 6s, some even lower. A 20-30k Reno would make a world of difference and would still keep you within your new budget. If you are looking for a newer property you could find a 4 bed single garage home in pemulwuy for under 700k.

Check out 8 Nea drive pemulwuy. Offers over 639k. Just outside Greystanes public school catchment by 1 street but I do know of kids in that area who got an out of area place.

Hey beachgurl,

Thanks for the pointers. I was looking for a house with about 500 sqm land and avoiding duplex, townhouses and units.

I did look at the houses in there which are very old and the estimated reno value is about 60-70K min. Most of them are 3 bedder with one bathroom and they want 630-650K.

You have a good property and around 15-20 years, they want 700k.

I decided to halt my property search for a while :mad:

Check out 8 Nea drive pemulwuy. Offers over 639k. Just outside Greystanes public school catchment by 1 street but I do know of kids in that area who got an out of area place who live near there.

One more for you - 38 bowral st Greystanes. Will likely go for mid 5s possibly slightly higher. Good bones but a bit ugly to look at. 30k plus a render will have it looking great.

Anyone quoting 60-70k on renos is looking to rip you off or knows nothing about renovation. I recently conducted a full Reno on a blonde brick home straight out of the 70s for 50k. This included a full render/paint plus the addition of a screened enclosure.

Maybe you need to apply to be on Location Location Location Australia. Foxtel was asking for suitable people not long back.

Thank You! Will take a look but TBH the house prices in Sydney are out of control. They are lot of crappy agents and greedy owners.

Last week,I gave an offer in Pendle hill. The agent said mine was a good offer an should be accepted by the owner. This is the first week of inspection and they are 30+ people who came in for inspection.

Monday morning I get a call saying the owner feels if she could get that offer in the first week, she could get much better offer in the second week :eek::eek:

Look at 13 Violet Place Greystanes offers over 800K :confused::confused

The buyers in Sydney are seriously overpaying .........

One more for you - 38 bowral st Greystanes. Will likely go for mid 5s possibly slightly higher. Good bones but a bit ugly to look at. 30k plus a render will have it looking great.

Anyone quoting 60-70k on renos is looking to rip you off or knows nothing about renovation. I recently conducted a full Reno on a blonde brick home straight out of the 70s for 50k. This included a full render/paint plus the addition of a screened enclosure.

Maybe you need to apply to be on Location Location Location Australia. Foxtel was asking for suitable people not long back.

Back